New poll shows Asian-Americans are more supportive of Democratic Party than ever
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:21:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  New poll shows Asian-Americans are more supportive of Democratic Party than ever
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: New poll shows Asian-Americans are more supportive of Democratic Party than ever  (Read 3427 times)
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 25, 2016, 12:02:53 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.npr.org/2016/05/24/479192873/fueled-by-young-voters-asian-americans-increasingly-identify-as-democrats
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 12:42:32 AM »

But muh midterm exit polls!
Angrie

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 10:31:15 AM »

This was already posted in the 2016 forum.

But in any case, this is much more likely to be accurate than exit polls or small Asian subsamples of national polls. It just confirms what everyone expected. Trump's rhetoric about immigrants, Mexico, and China is going to hurt him and the GOP big time among the fastest growing demographic groups.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 01:06:51 PM »

I have to hand it to them, the Republican party is brutally efficient at alienating non-white voters. I wonder how they intend to fix this downward trend. Sneak into white women's houses at night and secretly impregnate them to create a white baby boom and reverse the current grueling demographic marginalization?
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 02:48:48 PM »

Not surprising at all. 

In addition to xenophobia, the increasing anti-intellectualism in today's GOP will not help with Asians.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2016, 03:03:49 PM »

The GWP is not called the Grand White Party for beign popular among the non-whites.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2016, 08:10:25 AM »

I have to hand it to them, the Republican party is brutally efficient at alienating non-white voters. I wonder how they intend to fix this downward trend. Sneak into white women's houses at night and secretly impregnate them to create a white baby boom and reverse the current grueling demographic marginalization?

They don't intend to fix it. They want to turn the entire country into Mississippi, where your race determines your party.
Derpist
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -2.96

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2016, 09:46:58 PM »

Honestly not important. Asians are demographically moribund and not likely to become electorally relevant anytime soon.

Hispanic preferences might worry the GOP, but there's a lot of factors that are going to play into that (like assimilation) - and it's not clear that Trump will do worse than Romney.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2016, 09:56:07 PM »

Honestly not important. Asians are demographically moribund and not likely to become electorally relevant anytime soon.

Hispanic preferences might worry the GOP, but there's a lot of factors that are going to play into that (like assimilation) - and it's not clear that Trump will do worse than Romney.

Ok
Derpist
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -2.96

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2016, 10:00:39 PM »

Ok

It's really hard to express how badly Romney did with Hispanic voters. The vast majority of the small minority of Hispanics who stuck around to vote for Mitt Romney strongly strongly detest illegal immigration.

Hell, Romney probably lost many Hispanics who hated illegal immigration, because Obama didn't go totally pro-illegal until his 2nd term.

Wouldn't be surprised if Trump did BETTER than Romney just by consolidating the minority of Hispanic voters who hate illegal immigration.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2016, 10:42:20 PM »

Ok

It's really hard to express how badly Romney did with Hispanic voters. The vast majority of the small minority of Hispanics who stuck around to vote for Mitt Romney strongly strongly detest illegal immigration.

Hell, Romney probably lost many Hispanics who hated illegal immigration, because Obama didn't go totally pro-illegal until his 2nd term.

Wouldn't be surprised if Trump did BETTER than Romney just by consolidating the minority of Hispanic voters who hate illegal immigration.
Ah, so to win a group, just call them rapists.  Great thinking there buddy.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2016, 10:57:55 PM »

Er, actually no:

ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2016, 10:59:04 PM »

Ok

Ah, so to win a group, just call them rapists.  Great thinking there buddy.

I mean, half these boards are witness: I am as much of a non-Zionist Jew as it gets. I have all but accused most pro-Israeli posters here of being Tsarist or even Nazi wannabes - and I stand by that. Had I been in Israel, I would consider even Meretz to be "too Zionist" for my taste.  My disagreement with Zionism is profound, and my distaste for the nature and policies of the current Israeli state is genuine.

But if a political candidate in my country launched a campaign largely based on the evils of Zionism, trust me, I would never vote for him/her and I would almost certainly consider this campaign to be either antisemitic or pandering to antisemites.  You could tell me 10,000 times that this has nothing to do with me, since I am not a Zionist and not a friend of Zionism: I will not believe you for a second.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2016, 11:01:48 PM »

Not yet, and probably not for some time on their own, but they are part of a broader, growing coalition where smaller but very reliable groups of Democratic minority voters form a large set of voters who combine to make a potent voting bloc. Hispanics and Asians are low turnout but a lot of investment (of which Democrats doing this year due to Trump), and a controversial, divisive figure, ...like Trump, can make these voters even more consistently Democratic. It's not like that has happened before.

What happens when Hispanics and Asians start voting like African Americans? It doesn't have to be 90%+, 80%, which given the last election's numbers is very possible. 80% support for Democrats that is highly resistant to Republican efforts is a terrible situation for the GOP. Hispanic and Asian turnout won't always be low - Additional complexities and small investment / less engagement keep turnout low, and that is now changing for Hispanics.

When your (GOP) coalition is rapidly shrinking by the year, you can't afford to savagely alienate the fastest growing demographics. This election could set them back decades with minority outreach and put them at a big disadvantage in presidential elections going forward.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2016, 10:11:32 AM »

Ok

Trump is under 20% favorable ratings with Latinos IIRC.
Angrie

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2016, 10:44:51 AM »

Er, actually no:

Asians were already the biggest group of immigrants in 2012:

hopper
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2016, 07:03:28 PM »

Ha Ha no. Birth Rates are pretty even with each ethnicity now that the Hispanic(Mexican Baby Boom) died when the Housing Bubble went bust. 

hopper
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2016, 07:07:10 PM »

Not yet, and probably not for some time on their own, but they are part of a broader, growing coalition where smaller but very reliable groups of Democratic minority voters form a large set of voters who combine to make a potent voting bloc. Hispanics and Asians are low turnout but a lot of investment (of which Democrats doing this year due to Trump), and a controversial, divisive figure, ...like Trump, can make these voters even more consistently Democratic. It's not like that has happened before.

What happens when Hispanics and Asians start voting like African Americans? It doesn't have to be 90%+, 80%, which given the last election's numbers is very possible. 80% support for Democrats that is highly resistant to Republican efforts is a terrible situation for the GOP. Hispanic and Asian turnout won't always be low - Additional complexities and small investment / less engagement keep turnout low, and that is now changing for Hispanics.

When your (GOP) coalition is rapidly shrinking by the year, you can't afford to savagely alienate the fastest growing demographics. This election could set them back decades with minority outreach and put them at a big disadvantage in presidential elections going forward.
Um no party ID has mostly remained the same since 1992 with the Dems having a 6 point lead over Republicans or party ID being tied per Gallup except for 2007-2008 maybe.

Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2016, 07:21:45 PM »
« Edited: May 28, 2016, 07:28:19 PM by Virginia »

Um no party ID has mostly remained the same since 1992 with the Dems having a 6 point lead over Republicans or party ID being tied per Gallup except for 2007-2008 maybe.

Millennials (those pesky voters who will make up almost half the eligible voters in 2020) are overwhelmingly Democratic and minorities, the fastest growing demographics are getting close to unanimously Democratic at this point. The GOP's coalition is essentially whites only with what, 10% of their party being non-white? On top of that, their coalition is disproportionately older. A lily white coalition in a country where the white voter's share of the electorate is dropping at roughly 2% - 2.5% every 4 years.

Republicans have a large new voter / demographic problem. There is no disputing this.

Ha Ha no. Birth Rates are pretty even with each ethnicity now that the Hispanic(Mexican Baby Boom) died when the Housing Bubble went bust.  

I'm unsure what your point is? If you mean the birth rates are now evenly divided between white and non-white births, then sure:

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2014/06/04/are-minority-births-the-majority-yet/

This shows exactly how fast this country is diversifying, given the race of babies born 40 years ago. That is pretty bad news for Republicans if they keep going backwards in minority outreach. My joke implied a white baby boom to put white baby births significantly further ahead of non-white births...
hopper
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2016, 07:45:27 PM »

Millennials (those pesky voters who will make up almost half the eligible voters in 2020) are overwhelmingly Democratic and minorities, the fastest growing demographics are getting close to unanimously Democratic at this point. The GOP's coalition is essentially whites only with what, 10% of their party being non-white? On top of that, their coalition is disproportionately older. A lily white coalition in a country where the white voter's share of the electorate is dropping at roughly 2% - 2.5% every 4 years.

Republicans have a large new voter / demographic problem. There is no disputing this.

I'm unsure what your point is? If you mean the birth rates are now evenly divided between white and non-white births, then sure:

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2014/06/04/are-minority-births-the-majority-yet/

This shows exactly how fast this country is diversifying, given the race of babies born 40 years ago. That is pretty bad news for Republicans if they keep going backwards in minority outreach. My joke implied a white baby boom to put white baby births significantly further ahead of non-white births...
Going to your first paragraph the Black and Asian Population isn't supposed to grow that much over the next 50 years. Yes Republicans have a problem with Hispanic Voters which I don't doubt. True, I even highlighted that another post which you responded  to a couple weeks ago. We agree there.

True demographics are different than 40 years ago I don't doubt. Each election I think is different though. I'm not gonna race ahead to an election that might happen 20 years from now because the set of issues will be a lot different. You take election by election and play it that way.

Anyways racial/ethnic demographics of the 2014 mid-terms were the same as the 2008 Presidential Election. I do know that isn't indicative of future elections though since 2008 was a Dem Wave Year and 2014 was a Republican Wave Year.
Redban

« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2016, 11:08:04 AM »

Didn't Bob Dole win Asian-Americans in 1996? If they could swing for the Democrats so quickly, then maybe they could back for the GOP quickly.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2016, 12:13:07 PM »

The GWP is not called the Grand White Party for beign popular among the non-whites.

It's also just not called that.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2016, 02:26:32 PM »

It's also just not called that.

Well, just wait a few months.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2016, 11:03:45 PM »

Didn't Bob Dole win Asian-Americans in 1996? If they could swing for the Democrats so quickly, then maybe they could back for the GOP quickly.

I agree with that. It just won't happen in the age of Trump.
hopper
United States

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2016, 12:12:08 PM »

I agree with that. It just won't happen in the age of Trump.
They can start making inroads with Asian Voters with the right candidate but like you said just not with Trump.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies