Academic research idea - Thurmond & Wallace
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 12:33:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Academic research idea - Thurmond & Wallace
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Academic research idea - Thurmond & Wallace  (Read 630 times)
AuH2O Republican
Rookie
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 25, 2016, 06:05:40 AM »

Hi all. Wasn't entirely sure where to put this, so if it needs to be moved please do.

I completed an MA a few years ago in US History and Politics, and my only regret was that I did my thesis on Richard Nixon's relationship with the GOP whilst Vice President. My original idea, which I put to one side, was a comparison of Strom Thurmond's and George Wallace's third party bids for the presidency, in the context of both Southern resistance and third party politics.

I have now been thinking of taking this up a level and look at MPhil/PhD research into this. I was just hoping to get some thoughts, tips, insights, recommended sources etc from a community which seems to be very well informed.

Thank you :-)
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 06:31:30 PM »

Keep in mind Thurmond was just a normal Southern Democrat who managed to essentially become the party boss/leader of the Deep South by sheer will and work. Wallace, on the other hand, was a firebrand upstart who attempted to become the Southern Democrats' leader time after time and flip-flopped pretty often.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2016, 12:49:27 AM »

Also, keep in mind that one reason Thurmond was available to take up the banner of States Rights so prominently is that at the time the Governor of South Carolina had very little to do once the General Assembly finished its session.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies