If Clinton actually loses to Trump...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:39:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  If Clinton actually loses to Trump...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ...do you think she would have lost to McCain in 2008 as well?
Yes.

No.

Don't know

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 43

Author Topic: If Clinton actually loses to Trump...  (Read 1371 times)
madelka
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 25, 2016, 08:24:58 PM »

Yes. Assuming she loses to Trump in November, Democrats can thank God that they nominated Obama in 2008.
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 08:27:04 PM »

Given the recession, John Edwards post-scandal could have won
Camaro33
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.23, S: 0.17

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 08:28:03 PM »

No. Any Democrat would have beaten any Republican in 2008.

The same or vice versa cannot be said about this year.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 11:19:05 PM »

No, the economic collapse would've guaranteed any remotely credible Democratic candidate a win, and even a non credible one would've had a very good chance.

I still think a competent white male candidate could've gotten a double digit PV and 400+ EV vote win in 2008.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2016, 01:37:17 AM »

After market collapse, any Democrat, aside maybe from a fringe candidate, would win the election.
President of the civil service full of trans activists
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2016, 06:35:23 AM »

No. The recession would have boned the Republicans either way.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2016, 12:38:23 PM »

Clinton still would've defeated McCain in 2008. If anything, the map would be a bit different than in RL, with Clinton easily picking up Missouri, West Virginia, Arkansas, and maybe Tennessee, Kentucky, and Louisiana. On the other hand, I have McCain picking up Colorado, Iowa, Indiana, and North Carolina. Virginia and Ohio also might have been a bit closer in a Clinton vs McCain race, but I still see Clinton carrying both.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2016, 01:48:54 PM »

Clinton still would've defeated McCain in 2008. If anything, the map would be a bit different than in RL, with Clinton easily picking up Missouri, West Virginia, Arkansas, and maybe Tennessee, Kentucky, and Louisiana. On the other hand, I have McCain picking up Colorado, Iowa, Indiana, and North Carolina. Virginia and Ohio also might have been a bit closer in a Clinton vs McCain race, but I still see Clinton carrying both.
I don't think Clinton would win Arkansas unless she got more appeal to Blue Dogs without alienating the progressives who supported Halter in 2010.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2016, 09:16:46 PM »

I don't think Clinton would win Arkansas unless she got more appeal to Blue Dogs without alienating the progressives who supported Halter in 2010.
Arkansas would have been a tough state for Hillary Clinton in 2008, but I feel that it is plausible for her to have carried it due to her past connections to the state and also due to the economic collapse and subsequent recession in 2008. Tennessee, Louisiana, and Kentucky also would have been tough states for Clinton as well, but I feel she would have had a chance in all three if she ran a strong enough campaign and framed her campaign in a way that appealed to Blue Dog Democrats.
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 3.00, S: -0.41

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2016, 09:54:15 PM »

No, just because a candidate won/lost in one election doesn't mean they would have lost in a past or future election.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2016, 11:09:15 PM »

Arkansas would have been a tough state for Hillary Clinton in 2008, but I feel that it is plausible for her to have carried it due to her past connections to the state and also due to the economic collapse and subsequent recession in 2008. Tennessee, Louisiana, and Kentucky also would have been tough states for Clinton as well, but I feel she would have had a chance in all three if she ran a strong enough campaign and framed her campaign in a way that appealed to Blue Dog Democrats.
Maybe with Bayh or Beebe on the ticket, but even then there are a few labor progressives who might vote Nader or Green or are moderate enough to consider McCain. I just don't see Clinton carrying Obama's 2008 coalition plus enough votes to win Arkansas.

This is the only way I see her carrying Arkansas:

335: Senator Hillary Clinton/Governor Mike Beebe - 52.4%
203: Senator John McCain/Miami-Dade Mayor Carlos Alvarez - 45.6%
Others - 2.0%
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies