Sanders/Trump agree to debate UPDATE: Trump won't do it (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:08:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Sanders/Trump agree to debate UPDATE: Trump won't do it (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Sanders/Trump agree to debate UPDATE: Trump won't do it  (Read 9039 times)
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« on: May 26, 2016, 12:14:34 AM »

This will certainly be interesting to watch. More than a little late though when the primary will be over in less than 2 weeks.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 12:39:19 AM »

What an ass.  So give Trump a platform to attack the democratic party over and over again?  If Trump is smart he'll just attack Hillary the whole entire time and it will just be Bernie and Trump talking about how much they hate Hillary.  Unless Bernie seriously thinks he can out-debate Trump and deal him a crippling blow, this is just a big win for Trump.  Way to go Bernie.

I'm pretty sure Trump already has a platform to attack the Democratic Party. He has the media in the palm of his hand and molds them like clay. They gave tons of coverage to him mentioning Vince Foster. I don't think it's possible for "Trump attacks _____" stories to get any more oversaturated than they already are.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 10:00:05 AM »

I think it makes sense to not waste time on debates at a point when the race is over. Sanders should have dropped out by now, that he insists on still staying in isn't a reason for Clinton to humor his nonsense.

Yeah, it's not like Clinton did the same thing by refusing to drop out until June back in 2008.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/24953561/ns/politics-decision_08/t/clinton-refuses-concede-nomination/

Besides, this debate is gonna be the political equivalent of Wrestlemania and take up all of the news coverage leading up to it. And Clinton's gonna be stuck on the sidelines as this IG audit haunts her campaign leading up to California. It's the perfect storm for her.

Yeah, maybe if Bernie does really well in the debate he can lose by 200 delegates instead of 300-400. I'm sure Hillary is quaking in her heels at the thought.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2016, 10:19:14 AM »

Damn, Trump just pulled a Lucy on Bernie. That's gotta sting.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2016, 10:20:52 AM »

All Sanders did was show he's the only candidate left not dodging a debate. Both Trump and Hillary running away from him now. He'll still lose though.

Hillary and Trump both won or tied all (or all but the CNN one with Carly in Trump's case) of the debates they were in.  Bernie didn't win any debates.  I'm sure they're not afraid of him.  The problem is that he can hurt either of them in the real game whereas a victory over him only helps them in the imaginary game against him.  It'd be like if the Panthers took a break from the superbowl to go play the Cowboys, but every point the Cowboys scored went to the Broncos.  Sure, they'll win 42-7 or something, but that 42 doesn't count for anything because the game with the Cowboys doesn't count, while the 7 points to the Broncos could matter a whole hell of a lot.  It's not cowardice to turn down such a silly deal, and it definitely wouldn't be because the Panthers were afraid of the Cowboys.

I thought it was fairly obvious that Bernie won the Miami debate.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2016, 10:30:46 AM »

All Sanders did was show he's the only candidate left not dodging a debate. Both Trump and Hillary running away from him now. He'll still lose though.

Hillary and Trump both won or tied all (or all but the CNN one with Carly in Trump's case) of the debates they were in.  Bernie didn't win any debates.  I'm sure they're not afraid of him.  The problem is that he can hurt either of them in the real game whereas a victory over him only helps them in the imaginary game against him.  It'd be like if the Panthers took a break from the superbowl to go play the Cowboys, but every point the Cowboys scored went to the Broncos.  Sure, they'll win 42-7 or something, but that 42 doesn't count for anything because the game with the Cowboys doesn't count, while the 7 points to the Broncos could matter a whole hell of a lot.  It's not cowardice to turn down such a silly deal, and it definitely wouldn't be because the Panthers were afraid of the Cowboys.

It didn't get him anything in Florida though.

Well yeah, but you can't really judge debate performance by election results. It was pretty widely agreed upon that Kerry and Romney won their first debates, but they still lost.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2016, 10:32:47 AM »

I honestly don't remember that debate at all.  Is that the one where they did it on a college campus and Sanders' supporters wouldn't stop screaming and clapping and cheering his name the entire time and they chanted for five minutes as soon as the closing statements ended?  I remember there was a debate like that and people said Bernie won at first based on the "enthusiasm of the crowd" and then within a few days it became just another tie.

That sounds like a lot of the debates honestly. Tongue

I was judging just based off the content. Hillary seemed really off her game that night. It was the day after Michigan, which must've done a number on her.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2016, 01:40:28 PM »

Hillary Clinton has to be freaking out over this.

Why would she care?
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2016, 04:04:33 PM »

Trump just confirmed that he still wants to do it, with the charity stipulation.

Man, those anonymous sources sure were reliable, guys.

Indeed they were.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2016, 05:35:32 PM »

Told you so.  Trump was playing the media for extra coverage.  It worked because once again drowned out any Hillary positive coverage she might have gotten.  For example Hillary met with Treyvons mom to dispute Trump's NRA speech notice it got no press.  You never heard her refute of Donalds claim that she wants to abolish the 2nd amendment.  So now that claim he made sticks.  It's a masterpiece to watch the Trump campaign.

Hillary has not been getting any positive coverage the past few days, lmao.

I thank him and Bernie for somewhat diluting the media's endless shrieking about emails though.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2016, 06:41:05 PM »

The Reddit Bros are going ballistic over this. I guess Trump just lost their vote. Great news for Jill Stein, who rises from 0.3% to 0.35%.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2016, 11:39:15 PM »

Just because Trump is too chicken to debate Bernie doesn't mean he'd be too chicken to debate Hillary. That might be the other way around. Trump only debates people can he can beat.

I mean... he has to debate Hillary in the fall... that's how these things work, jfern. They've both won their party's nominations.

>implying he won't win California by 70 points
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies