How Corpus Christi feast celebration looks in your country?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:46:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  How Corpus Christi feast celebration looks in your country?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How Corpus Christi feast celebration looks in your country?  (Read 469 times)
Grand Wizard Lizard of the Klan
kataak
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 5.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 26, 2016, 05:57:30 AM »

I wonder how it looks like in different countries, especially in those where protestants dominate by population but also culturally or politically.

And some bonus:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itmypaDb4fk

1945, Poland, Corpus Christi processions
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 07:42:40 AM »

Don't think we do it here in 'Murica.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 09:44:29 AM »

Catholic processions were banned in the Netherlands until 1989 (!), except for places where they had already been legal in 1848.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2016, 09:47:37 AM »

Here it's basically a day off, some people go to church and I cleaned my apartment and posted on Atlas.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2016, 10:42:38 AM »

I have never seen these celebrations sadly. I'd love for them to return to the Mid-Atlantic.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2016, 10:58:13 AM »

It came from nowhere to become arguably the biggest Christian festival in late Mediaeval England before returning just as suddenly to obscurity.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2016, 12:42:05 PM »

Never heard of it, though admittedly, Mormons don't do most of those festivals.
aross
Rookie
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2016, 12:21:48 AM »

Catholic processions were banned in the Netherlands until 1989 (!), except for places where they had already been legal in 1848.
This is one of the most Dutch history facts ever.

And yeah, nothing special in Austria really, lots of people take an extra day off to get a long weekend.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2016, 12:50:47 AM »

It came from nowhere to become arguably the biggest Christian festival in late Mediaeval England before returning just as suddenly to obscurity.

Did it return to obscurity during Henry VIII's reign or before?
Grand Wizard Lizard of the Klan
kataak
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 5.39

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2016, 06:12:28 AM »

This is one of the most Dutch history facts ever.

And yeah, nothing special in Austria really, lots of people take an extra day off to get a long weekend.

That is kinda sad. Fortunately in Poland Corpus Christi is state holiday.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2016, 09:43:03 AM »

Here in Madison it looks almost the same as every other Sunday Mass. The Cathedral has a short Eucharistic procession and the laity are permitted to receive the precious blood (which the Diocese of Madison doesn't normally permit) but otherwise it's the same as usual.

Back in Cleveland the parish I went to had a fairly long Eucharistic procession after Mass, but nothing super ornate. Their really big procession was always the Feast of the Assumption.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2016, 11:13:04 AM »

We haven't done it around here since my grandmother was growing up. We celebrate the May Crowning though.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2016, 01:28:04 PM »

Doesn't make much sense to me.  There already is Maundy Thursday for the institution of communion, and the Thursday after Trinity Sunday is an entirely arbitrary day.  If one were to have a post-Easter celebration of communion, then perhaps the catch of the 153 fishes would make sense, if it had its own feast day.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2016, 04:12:57 PM »

Doesn't make much sense to me.  There already is Maundy Thursday for the institution of communion, and the Thursday after Trinity Sunday is an entirely arbitrary day.  If one were to have a post-Easter celebration of communion, then perhaps the catch of the 153 fishes would make sense, if it had its own feast day.

Juliana of Liège specifically wanted a Eucharistic feast day outside of Lent, and having a Eucharistic feast day without the extremely wide, almost scattershot focus of Maundy Thursday (the institution of the Eucharist, the agony in the garden, the washing of the Apostles' feet...) was Urban IV's main stated reason for instituting Corpus Christi.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2016, 09:45:55 PM »

Juliana of Liège specifically wanted a Eucharistic feast day outside of Lent, and having a Eucharistic feast day without the extremely wide, almost scattershot focus of Maundy Thursday (the institution of the Eucharist, the agony in the garden, the washing of the Apostles' feet...) was Urban IV's main stated reason for instituting Corpus Christi.

I get that, but the day is entirely arbitrary which is no doubt one reason why aside from the Anglican Communion, no one other than Latin Catholics celebrates it.  It is distinctively a Catholic feast, not a Christian one.  If one really wants to try to tie it into the calendar, one could place a feast for the catch of the 153 fishes 153 days after the Crucifixion, which would be the 15th Thursday of Pentecost and always exactly five months after Good Friday.

(Yes, I know traditionally, Ascension is usually said to be the last time Jesus appeared on Earth, but Luke-Acts which contains the Ascension story also specifies that the Apostles remained in Jerusalem all the time until the Ascension, which happens to contradict Matthew which places the receipt of the Great Commission in Galilee. John is in agreement with Matthew and can be in agreement with Luke-Acts if one has the catch of fishes happen after the Ascension in Luke-Acts. Tho frankly, I fail to see how a literalist inerrant interpretation of the Bible can resolve the discrepancy between Matthew and Luke-Acts.)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2016, 09:49:32 PM »

Never heard of it, and I live in the most Catholic state, and I have two grandparents who are children of Polish-Catholic immigrants
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies