office of evergreen
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 05:00:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  office of evergreen
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: office of evergreen  (Read 388 times)
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 26, 2016, 04:14:18 PM »

office of evergreen

former northeast speaker (2015 july–october)
candidate for northern regional committee
candidate for house

always open for questions, comments, cat pictures &c., either in this thread, per p.m., or anonymously per ask.fm
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 04:14:39 PM »

hello, atlasia! most of you probably already have a general idea of who i am, so i'll spare you the long, boring introductory speech. instead, i'll just tell you what my main goal would be if elected to the house.

atlasia is a great nation that has made a lot of great strides since its founding (in any number of different directions), but the issue of global climate change has been, in my opinion, sadly neglected. don't get me wrong, there have been a great number of policies about building standards and incandescent light-bulbs and green energy, but these only affect a small slice of the problem. atlasia is responsible for less than 15% (and falling) of global greenhouse gas emissions, and has little direct influence over the ever-growing cloud of pollution emanating from other countries (and, of course, the merit of burdening developing economies with often-stifling regulations is a hotly-debated topic).

a large-scale climate-engineering project is, and i don't think it is too melodramatic to say this, the only way to save the world. as representative, therefore, i would devote the utmost effort to getting such a plan passed, no matter how much it costs or how much opposition it encounters. i believe this is a challenge atlasia, and i, will be forced to face sooner or later regardless, and that decisive action now will save us a great deal of difficulty in the future.

so please join me in this campaign, and give atlasia and the whole world a future worth living in.
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 02:49:11 PM »

Endorsed for a high preference!
Angrie

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2016, 11:16:12 AM »

hello, atlasia! most of you probably already have a general idea of who i am, so i'll spare you the long, boring introductory speech. instead, i'll just tell you what my main goal would be if elected to the house.

atlasia is a great nation that has made a lot of great strides since its founding (in any number of different directions), but the issue of global climate change has been, in my opinion, sadly neglected. don't get me wrong, there have been a great number of policies about building standards and incandescent light-bulbs and green energy, but these only affect a small slice of the problem. atlasia is responsible for less than 15% (and falling) of global greenhouse gas emissions, and has little direct influence over the ever-growing cloud of pollution emanating from other countries (and, of course, the merit of burdening developing economies with often-stifling regulations is a hotly-debated topic).

a large-scale climate-engineering project is, and i don't think it is too melodramatic to say this, the only way to save the world. as representative, therefore, i would devote the utmost effort to getting such a plan passed, no matter how much it costs or how much opposition it encounters. i believe this is a challenge atlasia, and i, will be forced to face sooner or later regardless, and that decisive action now will save us a great deal of difficulty in the future.

so please join me in this campaign, and give atlasia and the whole world a future worth living in.

So it sounds to me like most of what has been done about climate change is fiddling around the edges. Has there been any movement on anything like a carbon tax or cap and trade? If so, what is your stance on that?

What, generally, would a "large-scale climate-engineering project" consist of, and could it be supplemented with a carbon tax or other measures designed to discourage the emission of greenhouse gases and to transform the structure of the economy and technology away from fossil fuels?
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2016, 05:38:25 PM »

What, generally, would a "large-scale climate-engineering project" consist of,
typically, climate engineering means either getting the earth to reflect more sunlight (by making the surface brighter, injecting things into the atmosphere, etc.) or by reäbsorbing carbon dioxide (e.g. by planting new trees).

the latter, of course, ignores the effects of methane and other greenhouse gases – which doesn't mean, of course, that we shouldn't do it, but it would be an insufficient measure (as you can see by the fact that such programs already exist on a large scale worldwide). the method of releasing large amounts of substance into the atmosphere or ocean, meanwhile, comes with all sorts of side effects and legal entanglements.

my bill would have funded a space sunshade program, which would send lenses to the l1 lagrange point between the sun and the earth to deflect a percentage of incoming light. there is the disadvantage of substantially larger requirements of cost and time, but in my opinion it's more than worth it.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

absolutely. in fact, as i said, many such measures are already in place, it's just that they affect atlasia only, and not the other 85% of global emissions.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2016, 09:20:08 PM »

endorsed for northern senator - we need a CHAMPION of the left.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies