Northern Regional Committee discussion thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:58:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Northern Regional Committee discussion thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Northern Regional Committee discussion thread  (Read 1845 times)
Angrie

« on: May 30, 2016, 10:59:36 AM »

It will indeed slow down the legislation. But I think a three man senate then a five (or three) man HoR will not increase the number of offices

Man??
Angrie

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2016, 11:02:25 AM »

Leinad's idea isn't too bad. What if we make the North a Parliamentary Republic?

The Governor, or some other title, would be popularly elected but hold very little power, mostly a ceremonial position - like the President of Germany. The legislature could be a little larger and elect a Prime Minister or a Chancellor to serve as the head of government.

Depending on the size of the legislature, the PM/Chancellor could also serve as the Speaker and run to the day-to-day legislature or it could be a separate position, perhaps elected by the Governor.

The Northern Parliamentary Republic could be a fun idea but, on the other hand, I don't see why we need to break the mold on the regional government.

I guess I don't really have a vote here yet, but my preference would be for a parliamentary system, or else for a unicameral legislature. I explain a bit more why here.

Sometimes right wing policies will be enacted, sometimes left wing policies will be enacted. But at least coherent policies will be enacted in response to problems that arise, rather than letting problems fester with no action taken.

The people could then judge policies based on whether or not they like how they work in practice, on the basis of some actual knowledge. When policies don't work, or people don't like them, they can be repealed under a parliamentary system/unicameral legislature and something new can be tried. Over the long run, as long as elections have some positive selection effect, better policies will evolutionarily emerge.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies