Trump supporters are violating one of the Ten Commandments
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:10:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Trump supporters are violating one of the Ten Commandments
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Trump supporters are violating one of the Ten Commandments  (Read 2733 times)
RightBehind
AlwaysBernie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 26, 2016, 10:13:29 PM »
« edited: May 26, 2016, 10:17:07 PM by RightBehind »

Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image.

Yet these Trump sheep who call themselves Christian have the audacity to thump their Bible with their worship of a heap of human garbage running for president.

Thank You Lord Jesus for President Trump?

Trump is a gift up above from God?

They'll tell you how Christian they are, then turn around and worship Trump.

Gosh I wish Hitchens was alive to put these people in their place.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 10:17:44 PM »

There is little overlap between church-going Christians and Trump idolizers. 2nd strike on you confusing Christian fundamentalists with alt-right southern middle class people
RightBehind
AlwaysBernie

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 10:24:22 PM »

There is little overlap between church-going Christians and Trump idolizers. 2nd strike on you confusing Christian fundamentalists with alt-right southern middle class people

You don't think the lines can be blurred?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2016, 10:35:11 PM »

My parents are Fundies and Trump supporters.  I don't get it either, but there you have it.
RightBehind
AlwaysBernie

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2016, 10:40:05 PM »

My parents are Fundies and Trump supporters.  I don't get it either, but there you have it.

What conservatives call out liberals as going off of emotions and feelings, I call out conservatives for projection.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2016, 11:31:14 PM »

Their hearts are hardening with fear, hate, division, and polarization. 

Not that self-professed Democratic Christians are in any better position.  (Myself included)
RightBehind
AlwaysBernie

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2016, 11:47:25 PM »
« Edited: May 27, 2016, 01:12:13 AM by RightBehind »

Their hearts are hardening with fear, hate, division, and polarization.  

Not that self-professed Democratic Christians are in any better position.  (Myself included)

Certainly nobody is perfect, but I think some Christians who sin in the eyes of their God do so willfully.

Edit: Something else just occured to me. Not only are they vviolating a commandment with Trump idolatry, the inconsistencies extend greater in claiming to be a Christian and worshipping a man who has never asked for repentence even though the Christian religion teaches to repent.

Put me in a room with two people. Let's say one of them is a male cross dresser who has multiple hair colors, piercings, a variety of tattoos, weighs 300 pounds, has a femine voice, carries a purse and wears nylons.

Then the other one is a Trump supporter who worships Trump while claiming to be an evangelical Bible thumper and parrots all of Trump's most outrageous talking points.

Now ask me which one I think the bigger freak is. I point to the Trump worshipper every single time. The man and his cult are the biggest farce bestowed upon America in recent history. Nothing about them checks out at all. The contradictions and hypocrisy is completely abundant in so many walks of life.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2016, 04:25:13 AM »
« Edited: May 27, 2016, 11:02:46 AM by MW Representative RFayette »

While fundies aren't Trump's base, many of the emotions they stir up:  resentment at the world, unsaved vs saved, etc is of a similar branding to Trump's style of thinking.  It is no surprise most fundies will vote Trump in the end of the day.  They know he is not a Christian, but he still speaks their language, in a way.  

Just google Steven Anderson sermons and you will see what I'm talking about.
RightBehind
AlwaysBernie

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2016, 09:52:05 AM »

While fundies aren't Trump's base, many of the emotions they stir up:  resentment at the world, unsaved vs saved, etc is of a similar branding to Trump's style of thinking.  It is no surprise most fundies will vote Trump in the end of the day.  They know he is not a Christian, but he still speaks their language, in a way. 

Just google Steven Anderson seemons and you will see what I'm talking about.

I'm well familar with Anderson's preaching. The amount of resentment I hold against that man is staggering.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2016, 11:05:34 AM »

While fundies aren't Trump's base, many of the emotions they stir up:  resentment at the world, unsaved vs saved, etc is of a similar branding to Trump's style of thinking.  It is no surprise most fundies will vote Trump in the end of the day.  They know he is not a Christian, but he still speaks their language, in a way.  

I'm well familar with Anderson's preaching. The amount of resentment I hold against that man is staggering.

I went to a church that while not as extreme, had similar preaching in terms of cadence/tone to Anderson's, so the man is more of a caricature of the most extreme aspects rather than simply an outlier.   It's a small sample-size from my experience (and Youtube videos), but a more Evangelical church is far more likely to feel "Trumpy" than a mainline Protestant church in terms of the style of preaching.  You don't really see banging of the pulpit or fiery preaching from mainline Protestants, so that's probably a distinction in terms of how they might feel.

Also, out of curiosity, how did you end up learning about Pastor Anderson? Tongue
RightBehind
AlwaysBernie

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2016, 02:03:22 PM »
« Edited: May 27, 2016, 02:07:16 PM by RightBehind »

I went to a church that while not as extreme, had similar preaching in terms of cadence/tone to Anderson's, so the man is more of a caricature of the most extreme aspects rather than simply an outlier.   It's a small sample-size from my experience (and Youtube videos), but a more Evangelical church is far more likely to feel "Trumpy" than a mainline Protestant church in terms of the style of preaching.  You don't really see banging of the pulpit or fiery preaching from mainline Protestants, so that's probably a distinction in terms of how they might feel.

Also, out of curiosity, how did you end up learning about Pastor Anderson? Tongue

He was in the headlines in the Huffington Post when he suggested all gays die to have an AIDS free Christmas.

I'd like to ask the fundies a question: You say the Ten Commandments should be the basis for our laws, yet you're breaking a commandment with Trump worship. If you had your way on the Ten Commandments, wouldn't you then belong in a jail cell by breaking the law?

They want to have their cake and eat it too.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2016, 02:18:48 PM »

What is the record for number of logical fallacies by a single poster in a day or even a year on this forum? I'd like to know. Surely quite high, but we are in danger of reaching that.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2016, 07:11:31 PM »

The even stranger thing is the America-worship predating Trump.
RightBehind
AlwaysBernie

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2016, 08:20:45 PM »

What is the record for number of logical fallacies by a single poster in a day or even a year on this forum? I'd like to know. Surely quite high, but we are in danger of reaching that.

I see no logical fallacies except for Trump and his cult.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2016, 08:28:37 PM »
« Edited: May 27, 2016, 08:32:43 PM by Sprouts Farmers Market ✘ »

Of course the foolish cultists commit them too, but this is yet another one.
RightBehind
AlwaysBernie

« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2016, 08:50:06 PM »

Of course the foolish cultists commit them too, but this is yet another one.

I don't see the specifications of your accusations. Tell me what I'm wrong about in this thread. It all makes perfect sense.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2016, 09:14:09 PM »

It's not just this thread but many of them - false equivalence is one you dip into the most as well as ad hominem occasionally - you came very close to the "But my opponents do it too" one right here but didn't take fault of yourself doing it (don't do it now Tongue). And there are 2-3 more that are slight variations that I won't call you out on because "all" and "none" don't often apply to politics, and I woul have to replace them with "rare" for the logic as well as the fact that calls to "that one real life unscientific example" are done much more egregiously by many, many other posters on the 2016 board.
RightBehind
AlwaysBernie

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2016, 10:10:27 PM »

The only one who has an issue with what I've said in this thread is you. Do you not deny he has evangelicals who worship him like a god even thought that contradicts a commandment?
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2016, 11:28:29 PM »

... Calm down. Just because only one out of three people disagrees with you doesn't make you right.

If you and everybody but RFayette believed there was no god, that would not make you right. RFayette tried mildly disagreeing with you, but you didn't realize it. SFM has to deal with you aggressively and upfront because otherwise you will have no idea that someone is trying to be subtle and low key in terms of their discussions. You appear to only be able to argue and unable to discuss.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2016, 11:43:56 PM »

... Calm down. Just because only one out of three people disagrees with you doesn't make you right.

If you and everybody but RFayette believed there was no god, that would not make you right. RFayette tried mildly disagreeing with you, but you didn't realize it. SFM has to deal with you aggressively and upfront because otherwise you will have no idea that someone is trying to be subtle and low key in terms of their discussions. You appear to only be able to argue and unable to discuss.

Can't find it now, but your anecdote reminds me of an Augustine fallacy - roughly, 'except for the depraved few, all of humanity confesses God to be the creator' XD

(I'm sorry to be mean; I don't normally recognize this stuff, but your argumentation grinds my gears to a whole nother level for some reason.)
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2016, 12:30:21 AM »

Can't find it now, but your anecdote reminds me of an Augustine fallacy - roughly, 'except for the depraved few, all of humanity confesses God to be the creator' XD

(I'm sorry to be mean; I don't normally recognize this stuff, but your argumentation grinds my gears to a whole nother level for some reason.)

The point is it goes both ways. Like most fallacies, any use of it while portraying oneself as one of the sides is extremely hypocritical.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2016, 04:16:25 AM »

This thread:

RightBehind
AlwaysBernie

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2016, 10:21:39 AM »

Okay, well, what is wrong about what I said? I am disturbed at what some Trump supporters say about him while also professing to be Christian and I happen to find inconsistencies in their behavior.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2016, 05:48:37 AM »

cool story
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2016, 10:38:54 PM »
« Edited: November 17, 2016, 04:05:28 PM by Fuzzy Bear »

I belong to a Pentecostal denomination, and just about every white member of my church is voting for Trump.  We have a significant number of blacks in our congregation, but many of them are from the Caribbean; not all are citizens, and they are rather non-political.  My wife and I, I believe, were the only white members of our church who voted for Obama in 2012.  

And, yes, there are some who've done backflips to support Trump.  A good friend of mine posted this on his Facebook page in March:

https://maxlucado.com/decency-for-president

Today, he's a Trump cheerleader on the same Facebook page.  He's a father with two daughters as well.  Why is that?  

I've never bought the Max Lucado argument in terms of ruling a candidate out.  I'm concerned about tone, but Americans have been screwed over royally by folks with good manners and clean language.  Just ask the Carrier workers whose jobs are on their way to Mexico from Indiana.  But Christians ought to consider Mr. Trump's character and behavior on the campaign trail.  I don't want President Biff any more than I want President Pee Wee Herman.

But this election is, in all likelihood, a Binary Choice.  In that context, Trump will uphold policies that maintain us as a "Christianized" nation moreso than Hillary Clinton.  While we are not a theocracy, and while I am glad we are not a theocracy, we are moving from a point where the government is actively hostile to Christianity.  In that regard, our Government disregards with surprising casualness the kind of people we are.  Trump is more on the side of Christians than Hillary Clinton is in terms of Christian Lifestyle issues.  It's a Binary Choice, and Christians (myself, included) have to do the best we can with what we have to work with this year.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies