Northern Regional Committee
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:23:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Northern Regional Committee
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16
Author Topic: Northern Regional Committee  (Read 17455 times)
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: June 15, 2016, 08:07:29 PM »

I'd like to let the Lieutenant Governor run the Assembly if the Speaker takes over twelve hours.

Over twelve hours of what?  The Speaker shouldn't be micromanaged, especially if he or she is only gone for half a day.

In any event, isn't that something for the new SOAP, not the constitution?
I agree with cinyc - we should leave this matter to the elected legislature.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #226 on: June 16, 2016, 05:32:25 PM »

I offer the following amendment:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Delegates have 24 hours to object.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #227 on: June 16, 2016, 07:12:25 PM »

I agree with the change in principle, but perhaps we should wait or revisit this after the Congress sets election dates.  It looks like the Senate is headed toward holding elections the second week of the month, not the penultimate week.

FYI - this is not a formal objection to the proposed amendment, just a note that we might have to revisit the text before we ratify the final draft.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #228 on: June 18, 2016, 05:02:58 AM »

Could we pass something to get the Governors election to happen on the next weekend in line with the Presidential election?
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #229 on: June 18, 2016, 06:18:04 AM »

Could we pass something to get the Governors election to happen on the next weekend in line with the Presidential election?

well, until we ratify, there technically is no such thing as the office of governor as of yet. unless you want to do something like this:
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #230 on: June 18, 2016, 06:50:11 AM »

On second thoughts it does seem fair to wait until we establish the actual office; as long as we can get the Governor elections done within the next 3-4 weeks
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #231 on: June 18, 2016, 11:13:32 PM »

Looking at the draft constitution, I don't see a provision for what to do if there is a vacancy in the Assembly.  Perhaps we should hold a concept vote on what to do for ALL vacancies.  It's best to have one uniform rule.  I propose the following:

-All vacancies that occur within 2 weeks of the start of the next regularly scheduled election be filled by the Governor. 
-All vacancies that occur 2 or more weeks from the start of the next regularly scheduled election may be temporarily filled by the governor until a special election is held the following Friday (as long as the vacancy occurs before Wednesday).
-We'd also hold a special election for all Gubernatorial vacancies that occur 2 or more weeks from the start of the next regularly scheduled gubernatorial election.  I don't think an unelected Lt. Governor or worse, Speaker or senior Assemblyman, should get to serve a full term.

What do you think?
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #232 on: June 19, 2016, 11:29:26 PM »

Article II grants the governor the power to "fill vacancies in the Assembly," but I'm fine with a principle vote on the matter. Cinyc's plan looks good to me.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #233 on: June 20, 2016, 12:56:38 AM »

Anything else, or can we get this show on the road and head to ratification? Cheesy
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #234 on: June 20, 2016, 06:41:27 PM »

Are we going to do a special gubernatorial election in post-July 5 or before June 28?

I'd slightly prefer the latter, and doing it between June 28-July 5 would probably encourage low turnout due to the holidays. While that might benefit me a bit, I'd prefer a high turnout for democratic sake. Either way, this Committee may be the effective governing body unless we establish something else temporary fast.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #235 on: June 20, 2016, 06:53:45 PM »

Are we going to do a special gubernatorial election in post-July 5 or before June 28?

I'd slightly prefer the latter, and doing it between June 28-July 5 would probably encourage low turnout due to the holidays. While that might benefit me a bit, I'd prefer a high turnout for democratic sake. Either way, this Committee may be the effective governing body unless we establish something else temporary fast.

It depends when we're done with the Constitution, doesn't it?  We still need a bill of rights, and I don't think anyone has gone through it extremely closely.  I named my major concerns, and they are in the process of being addressed.  Everyone else has been pretty silent since the proposed constitution was tabled.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #236 on: June 20, 2016, 07:42:21 PM »

It depends when we're done with the Constitution, doesn't it?  We still need a bill of rights, and I don't think anyone has gone through it extremely closely.  I named my major concerns, and they are in the process of being addressed.  Everyone else has been pretty silent since the proposed constitution was tabled.

What would this Bill of Rights include beyond what already exists in the federal Constitution?
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #237 on: June 20, 2016, 09:52:08 PM »

What would this Bill of Rights include beyond what already exists in the federal Constitution?

That is a subject for debate.  The Northeast and Mideast constitutions had different bills of rights.  We would probably start from there.  We can always offer our citizens more rights than the federal constitution.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #238 on: June 21, 2016, 04:10:57 PM »

So what's the current issue on the agenda? I'm a bit confused as to what we're discussing/formally voting on
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #239 on: June 21, 2016, 06:33:16 PM »

So what's the current issue on the agenda? I'm a bit confused as to what we're discussing/formally voting on

Basically, we should be debating how to handle vacancies.  The issue is whether to hold special elections when seats become vacant within 2 months of the next regularly scheduled election or just let the governor appoint Assemblymen and Senators, and the Lt. Governor/Speaker become permanent governor in the event of a gubernatorial vacancy.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #240 on: June 21, 2016, 06:43:34 PM »

Okay, I'm going to give y'all 24 hours to review cinyc's proposal for filling vacancies. If there are no objections by this time tomorrow, I will consider it adopted.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #241 on: June 22, 2016, 08:08:48 PM »

Do the impeachment rules stand in the event that only three Representatives serve in the Assembly?  We might want to consider revising the Constitution to require a unanimous vote on impeachment, should the occasion arise that the Assembly gets two very partisan legislators who want to start a power coup.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #242 on: June 22, 2016, 08:32:33 PM »

Do the impeachment rules stand in the event that only three Representatives serve in the Assembly?  We might want to consider revising the Constitution to require a unanimous vote on impeachment, should the occasion arise that the Assembly gets two very partisan legislators who want to start a power coup.

I don't see the problem here.  Under the proposed constitution, impeachment requires a four-fifths vote.  That would require unanimity if the Assembly has only 3 members, as two-thirds is less than four-fifths.  So all 3 Assembly members would have to vote to impeach in an Assembly of 3.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #243 on: June 22, 2016, 08:39:46 PM »

I don't see the problem here.  Under the proposed constitution, impeachment requires a four-fifths vote.  That would require unanimity if the Assembly has only 3 members, as two-thirds is less than four-fifths.  So all 3 Assembly members would have to vote to impeach in an Assembly of 3.

4/5 of 3 still (barely) rounds to 2.  I think the Assembly should modify this section so that this doesn't become an issue of dispute.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #244 on: June 22, 2016, 09:32:59 PM »

4/5 of 3 still (barely) rounds to 2.  I think the Assembly should modify this section so that this doesn't become an issue of dispute.
Ah, but for legal purposes, one always rounds up regardless of the value of the remainder.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #245 on: June 22, 2016, 09:33:35 PM »

Okay, I'm going to give y'all 24 hours to review cinyc's proposal for filling vacancies. If there are no objections by this time tomorrow, I will consider it adopted.
Seeing no objection, cinyc's proposal has been adopted.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #246 on: June 22, 2016, 09:59:13 PM »

An amendment incorporating cinyc's (previously adopted) proposal:

Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #247 on: June 26, 2016, 09:30:25 AM »

What else is there, now?
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #248 on: June 26, 2016, 05:36:30 PM »

An amendment incorporating cinyc's (previously adopted) proposal:

That doesn't seem to cover special elections for the regional Senate seat.  Are we not allowed to have them under the federal constitution?
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #249 on: June 28, 2016, 10:33:28 AM »

That doesn't seem to cover special elections for the regional Senate seat.  Are we not allowed to have them under the federal constitution?
An oversight on my party. Amendment forthcoming.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies