Western Regional Committee
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:02:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Western Regional Committee
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: Western Regional Committee  (Read 6110 times)
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2016, 06:55:05 PM »

Which set of rules the original or amended version   

Amended.

If nobody objects to the amended rules within about an hour, I'll take them as accepted and move on to a resolution for Senate races.
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 3.00, S: -0.41

« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2016, 12:11:58 PM »

I have a proposal for Senate races, we hold elections for both of them this weekend. All Candidates are on the same ballot with  the top two finisher elected, the person finishing first is elected as a Class 1 senator, and the second place finisher is elected as a Class 2 Senator. After doing some thinking on this, I feel this is the most democratic solution. Instead of having an un-elected appointee serving in one of the most critical times for Atlasia. The people of the Western region can have their say right away.  I also don't see how holding two elections could be confusing, we hold lots of multi seat Senate elections all the time and don't have any confusion then.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2016, 12:41:06 PM »
« Edited: May 30, 2016, 12:51:05 PM by Ted Bessell, Bass God of the West »

I have a proposal for Senate races, we hold elections for both of them this weekend. All Candidates are on the same ballot with  the top two finisher elected, the person finishing first is elected as a Class 1 senator, and the second place finisher is elected as a Class 2 Senator. After doing some thinking on this, I feel this is the most democratic solution. Instead of having an un-elected appointee serving in one of the most critical times for Atlasia. The people of the Western region can have their say right away.  I also don't see how holding two elections could be confusing, we hold lots of multi seat Senate elections all the time and don't have any confusion then.

Can you write this proposal into a formal "bill" so we can proceed to discuss this in line with the rules? Thanks.
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2016, 01:05:53 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2016, 02:20:46 PM »
« Edited: May 30, 2016, 02:27:23 PM by Ted Bessell, Bass God of the West »

I propose the following amendment:

I don't think it makes sense to elect two Senators  (EDIT: to two separate seats) in one election. There are plenty of known quantities that the Committee could appoint to the Senate for the extremely brief period until they would face voters (if things are scheduled as specified, the Senator won't serve for more than a few weeks).

Committeemen have 24 hours to object.
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2016, 02:31:53 PM »

I propose the following amendment:

I don't think it makes sense to elect two Senators  (EDIT: to two separate seats) in one election. There are plenty of known quantities that the Committee could appoint to the Senate for the extremely brief period until they would face voters (if things are scheduled as specified, the Senator won't serve for more than a few weeks).

Committeemen have 24 hours to object.
I switched the classes around as Class I is elected in February, June, and October; Class II is elected in April, August, and December. This ensures the appointee will have too face the electorate sooner.  Everything else looks good.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2016, 02:52:19 PM »

I object to the amendment of the amendment. If you think that Senators should face voters as soon as possible, then the appointed Senator should be the one that will have to be re-elected within a few weeks.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2016, 03:10:44 PM »
« Edited: May 30, 2016, 03:16:07 PM by Ted Bessell, Bass God of the West »

I guess this means we have... a principle vote?

Committeemen, please indicate your preference within 24 hours.

Principle Vote on Election of Senators

[ ] Plan A: Hold a special election for the Class II seat, which is elected in February, June, and October, who will serve out the remainder of that term. Appoint a Senator to the Class I seat, which is elected in April, August, and December, who will serve out the remainder of that term.

[ ] Plan B: Hold a special election for the Class I seat, which is elected in April, August, and December, who will serve out the remainder of that term. Appoint a Senator to the Class II seat, which is elected in February, June, and October, who will serve out the remainder of that term.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2016, 03:15:43 PM »

[ ] Plan A: Hold a special election for the Class II seat, which is elected in February, June, and October, who will serve out the remainder of that term. Appoint a Senator to the Class I seat, which is elected in April, August, and December, who will serve out the remainder of that term.

[X] Plan B: Hold a special election for the Class I seat, which is elected in April, August, and December, who will serve out the remainder of that term. Appoint a Senator to the Class II seat, which is elected in February, June, and October, who will serve out the remainder of that term.

I think that 1184AZ may be misunderstanding the system I am proposing. The June-elected Senator would be appointed and then have to be re-elected on the day of the June Presidential election, facing democracy within a week or two. The August-elected Senator would be elected in a special, and thereby facing voters immediately -- quite literally as fast as possible. Consequently, this is the most democratic option.
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2016, 03:21:46 PM »

[X ] Plan B: Hold a special election for the Class I seat, which is elected in April, August, and December, who will serve out the remainder of that term. Appoint a Senator to the Class II seat, which is elected in February, June, and October, who will serve out the remainder of that term.
I understand how the system will work now thanks Tim for explaining this more  clearly to me.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2016, 03:27:42 PM »

[X ] Plan B: Hold a special election for the Class I seat, which is elected in April, August, and December, who will serve out the remainder of that term. Appoint a Senator to the Class II seat, which is elected in February, June, and October, who will serve out the remainder of that term.
I understand how the system will work now thanks Tim for explaining this more  clearly to me.

Tim Bessell sounds freaking awesome Wink
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2016, 03:30:41 PM »

Soory autocorrect
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2016, 03:33:01 PM »

is all good Smiley
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2016, 03:38:17 PM »

Plan B.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2016, 04:02:06 PM »

[X] Plan B: Hold a special election for the Class I seat, which is elected in April, August, and December, who will serve out the remainder of that term. Appoint a Senator to the Class II seat, which is elected in February, June, and October, who will serve out the remainder of that term.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2016, 04:04:07 PM »

Plan B has enough votes to pass. I guess you can change your votes, but, I mean, I don't know why you would do that Tongue
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2016, 04:27:48 PM »

I voted Plan B above
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2016, 04:35:46 PM »

I know, but rpryor has not yet voted. Even then, we still have a while to change their votes if we want to for whatever reason.
rpryor03
Bahamas

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2016, 07:49:14 AM »

Plan B
rpryor03
Bahamas

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2016, 03:41:39 PM »

Will the region be running it's own elections?
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2016, 04:52:58 PM »

Will the region be running it's own elections?
Yes
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: May 31, 2016, 04:56:36 PM »

Plan B has passed.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2016, 09:28:48 PM »

Time to start discussing the meat and potatoes here.

I recommend we adopt Truman's proposal to name the Region "Fremont." He's a decently non-controversial historical figure from the Region who most people can get behind. I also recommend that we adopt a pretty generic system of Government -- a Governor, with a unicameral Legislature elected at-large. Maybe we could have a Lieutenant Governor, if there were a way to actually get them to do things.

As for the size of the Legislature, I'd be in favor of a three-man legislature that goes up to five when there are six or more candidates. Maaaaaaaybe we have a trigger for seven, but that seems like it might be a stretch.
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: May 31, 2016, 09:33:19 PM »

I recommend we adopt Truman's proposal to name the Region "Fremont." He's a decently non-controversial historical figure from the Region who most people can get behind. I also recommend that we adopt a pretty generic system of Government -- a Governor, with a unicameral Legislature elected at-large. Maybe we could have a Lieutenant Governor, if there were a way to actually get them to do things.

As for the size of the Legislature, I'd be in favor of a three-man legislature that goes up to five when there are six or more candidates. Maaaaaaaybe we have a trigger for seven, but that seems like it might be a stretch.
I will support Teds proposal, until we see how much activity we have lets not have a
Lieutenant Governor unless we get them do another job besides their LG duties such as the  CJO duties.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: May 31, 2016, 09:36:55 PM »

I will support Teds proposal, until we see how much activity we have lets not have a
Lieutenant Governor unless we get them do another job besides their LG duties such as the  CJO duties.

Maybe we have them administer Regional elections, if that isn't covered by the Regional Justice. One idea I was playing with was having them take over Speaker's duties, but that seems a bit excessive.

However, I agree -- we either have them and have them do something, or don't have them at all.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies