Western Regional Committee (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 11:02:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Western Regional Committee (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Western Regional Committee  (Read 6133 times)
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 3.00, S: -0.41

« on: May 27, 2016, 01:45:16 PM »
« edited: May 27, 2016, 02:05:38 PM by Pacific Councilor 1184AZ »

I have set up a thread so we can begin are important task of setting the Senate Election dates, and create the new Constitution. Should we elect a chair first? decide on rules?  establish dates for senate elections ?. What should are time frame be for votes 48 hours? 72 hours? something else?, how many votes to pass resolutions  should we have 3? 4?. Anyways, If we can start in this weekend some time that would be great.

Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 03:07:10 PM »

I strongly suggest electing a Chair first by simple vote, then quickly setting on rules in a vote (or via consensus if we're all in agreement), and then the Chair can establish target dates and we can begin the debate.

Yeah, this sounds good to me.
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 06:08:30 PM »

I will endorse Ted as chair
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2016, 01:30:17 PM »

I would propose we do it the other way, we hold an immediate election for the June seat and appoint someone to the August seat.
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2016, 01:49:41 PM »
« Edited: May 28, 2016, 01:53:13 PM by Pacific Councilor 1184AZ »

I would propose we do it the other way, we hold an immediate election for the June seat and appoint someone to the August seat.

I don't think this is the way to go. The August Senator would go for quite a while without being approved by voters, while the June Senate seat would be voted on two times during that period.
I am fine with the original suggestion, who were you proposing to appoint?

Edit I would ideally want someone that has either served in the Senate before or been a VP/President.
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2016, 07:54:26 PM »

I modified Truman's rules for the North slightly:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I don't see anything too glaringly wrong, but what do you guys think? Any stupid errors/changes you might make?
This is what I would fix
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2016, 06:51:45 PM »

Which set of rules the original or amended version   
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2016, 12:11:58 PM »

I have a proposal for Senate races, we hold elections for both of them this weekend. All Candidates are on the same ballot with  the top two finisher elected, the person finishing first is elected as a Class 1 senator, and the second place finisher is elected as a Class 2 Senator. After doing some thinking on this, I feel this is the most democratic solution. Instead of having an un-elected appointee serving in one of the most critical times for Atlasia. The people of the Western region can have their say right away.  I also don't see how holding two elections could be confusing, we hold lots of multi seat Senate elections all the time and don't have any confusion then.
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2016, 01:05:53 PM »

Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2016, 02:31:53 PM »

I propose the following amendment:

I don't think it makes sense to elect two Senators  (EDIT: to two separate seats) in one election. There are plenty of known quantities that the Committee could appoint to the Senate for the extremely brief period until they would face voters (if things are scheduled as specified, the Senator won't serve for more than a few weeks).

Committeemen have 24 hours to object.
I switched the classes around as Class I is elected in February, June, and October; Class II is elected in April, August, and December. This ensures the appointee will have too face the electorate sooner.  Everything else looks good.
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2016, 03:21:46 PM »

I guess this means we have... a principle vote?

Committeemen, please indicate your preference within 24 hours.

Principle Vote on Election of Senators

[ ] Plan A: Hold a special election for the Class II seat, which is elected in February, June, and October, who will serve out the remainder of that term. Appoint a Senator to the Class I seat, which is elected in April, August, and December, who will serve out the remainder of that term.

[X ] Plan B: Hold a special election for the Class I seat, which is elected in April, August, and December, who will serve out the remainder of that term. Appoint a Senator to the Class II seat, which is elected in February, June, and October, who will serve out the remainder of that term.
I understand how the system will work now thanks Tim for explaining this more  clearly to me.
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2016, 03:30:41 PM »

[ ] Plan A: Hold a special election for the Class II seat, which is elected in February, June, and October, who will serve out the remainder of that term. Appoint a Senator to the Class I seat, which is elected in April, August, and December, who will serve out the remainder of that term.

[X ] Plan B: Hold a special election for the Class I seat, which is elected in April, August, and December, who will serve out the remainder of that term. Appoint a Senator to the Class II seat, which is elected in February, June, and October, who will serve out the remainder of that term.
I understand how the system will work now thanks Tim for explaining this more  clearly to me.

Tim Bessell sounds freaking awesome Wink

Tim Bessell sounds freaking awesome Wink
Soory autocorrect
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2016, 04:27:48 PM »

I voted Plan B above
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2016, 04:52:58 PM »

Will the region be running it's own elections?
Yes
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2016, 09:33:19 PM »

Time to start discussing the meat and potatoes here.

I recommend we adopt Truman's proposal to name the Region "Fremont." He's a decently non-controversial historical figure from the Region who most people can get behind. I also recommend that we adopt a pretty generic system of Government -- a Governor, with a unicameral Legislature elected at-large. Maybe we could have a Lieutenant Governor, if there were a way to actually get them to do things.

As for the size of the Legislature, I'd be in favor of a three-man legislature that goes up to five when there are six or more candidates. Maaaaaaaybe we have a trigger for seven, but that seems like it might be a stretch.
I will support Teds proposal, until we see how much activity we have lets not have a
Lieutenant Governor unless we get them do another job besides their LG duties such as the  CJO duties.
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2016, 10:23:27 PM »

Ted what is the status on the above election bill in this thread
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2016, 11:21:12 PM »

I think the three-man lej with the trigger works. I'd prefer not to have useless offices, and if we'd just have to make up things for the LG to do that might be something to amend into the Constitution later on if activity increases.

Another option for a name is "Oeste," Spanish for "West." Basically the same, just more exciting. Personally, I don't think the name is too important, but I'd prefer something with a bit more vim and verve to it than just "The West."
As I said before if we can't find a role for LG then we should not have it. For the name how about Cascadia.
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2016, 12:40:25 AM »

Ted thanks for fixing this it is ok we have all made mistakes. Could you possibly post this on the candidate declaration thread, to ensure their is clarity for each candidate. Thanks 1184AZ
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2016, 12:45:05 AM »

Ted thanks for fixing this it is ok we have all made mistakes. Could you possibly post this on the candidate declaration thread, to ensure their is clarity for each candidate. Thanks 1184AZ

Of course. I'll also contact the Senate candidate(s) about the situation.
Thank you for doing that
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2016, 11:31:23 PM »

I motion we vote on approving the above government structure proposal 
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2016, 11:37:39 PM »

I motion we vote on approving the above government structure proposal 

If you want to approve that system, write an initial draft of the Constitution. Then, we can move through it, voting on amendments for naming, systems of Government, etc. I plan to introduce a draft tomorrow, though, so you might want to wait a bit.
Of the entire constitution
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2016, 12:21:12 AM »

Here is a Proposed draft for the Constitution of the Western Region. I used the Norths as a template, and lightly edited it to fit what we discussed. Please feel free to offer amendments.  

[quote] WRC Res 1:First Western Constitution

We the People of the Western Region, by acknowledging the right of governance for our granted territory, establish this Constitution to advance civil ordinance and individual opportunity for ourselves and our posterity. The Constitution of the Western Region is the supreme law of the region, in concert with the Constitution of the Republic of Atlasia.
Article I: The Region

The Western Region and the Constitution thereof shall be representative of the states of
Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Iowa, Montana, Minnesota, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Nebraska, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming.

The administrative center for the government of the Western Region established in this Constitution shall be Denver, Colorado.

Article II: The Legislature

The legislative power of the Western Region shall be granted to the Legislative Assembly of the Western Region.
    Elected members of the Legislative Assembly of the Western Region shall be called MLA’S.
    MLA's are to be elected by all citizens registered to vote in the Western Region.
MLA’s are to be registered to vote in the Western Region.
    Elections to the Legislative Assembly of the Western Region shall take place once every January, March, May, July, September , and November. The appropriate election administrator will open the voting booth at 9 PM PST  of the second Thursday of the month, and will close said booth the following Sunday at 9PM PST. Every citizen will be given the opportunity to vote during this time. The Chief Judicial Officer of the Western Region must accept any absentee ballot received no more than one week prior to the opening of the polls.
    Candidates for Legislative Assembly will be given until the Wednesday preceding the first date of polling in the election they wish to contest to announce their candidacy and appear on the ballot. This is to be done by officially declaring their candidacy in the Candidate Declaration Thread.
    When the polls close, the appropriate election administrator shall be given twenty-four (24) hours to count the votes and declare elected MLA’s. The newly elected MLA’s  shall officially assume office on the Thursday following the election.
    The number of Representatives to be elected shall be 5  in elections where six or more candidates appear on the ballot, or 3 otherwise. The method of election shall be PR-STV, as specified in Sections 4 to 17 of the Atlasian Proportional Representation Act (F.L. 21-2), unless the Assembly shall provide otherwise by Law.
    Vacancies in the Legislative Assembly shall be filled in a manner specified by Law, and until such determination is made, by Gubernatorial appointment. Vacancies occur upon resignation, recall, impeachment, failure to swear in within one week of the legislative session’s opening, failure to vote on four consecutive pieces of legislation without publicly declaring absence, or failure to participate in Assembly debate for one month.
    The Legislative Assembly's sessions shall be conducted in public year-round.
    All ordinary legislation shall first be considered in the Assembly. Legislation shall be considered by the Legislative Assembly upon petition of any Representative, Cabinet Member, the Governor, or two Western citizens.
    Any piece of legislation attaining a majority of actual votes from Representatives shall be considered successful. Every piece of legislation shall relate to but one subject that is to be expressed in its title. All pieces of legislation and votes of support and consent by the Legislative Assembly must go through this process in order to become law.
    The Speaker of the Western Legislative Assembly acts as the Presiding Officer of the Western  Legislative Assembly. He or she organizes votes on legislation and notifies the MLA’s  of the results of any official vote. If the Speaker is temporarily absent (no more than ten days), the longest continuously serving representative may exercise the powers of Speaker.
    The Legislative Assembly shall have the power to override the Governor’s veto. If the Legislature  passes legislation previously vetoed by the Governor by more than a two-thirds majority vote in a five-seat Assembly, or by a unanimous vote in a three-seat Assembly, it becomes law without the Governor’s signature.

Article III: The Executive

The executive authority of the Western Region shall be vested in the Governor of the Western Region. The Governor must be a registered voter in the Western Region.
    The Governor must be elected democratically by the people of the Western Region. Elections are to be held every March, July, and September for Governor. The appropriate election administrator will open the voting booth at 9 PM PST  of the second Thursday of the month, and will close said booth the following Sunday at 9PM PST at  Every citizen will be given the opportunity to vote during this time. The Chief Judicial Officer of the Western Region must accept any absentee ballot received no more than one week prior to the opening of the polls.
    Candidates for Governor will be given until the Wednesday preceding the first date of polling in the election they wish to contest to announce their candidacy and appear on the ballot. This is to be done by officially declaring their candidacy in the Candidate Declaration Thread.
    When the polls close, the appropriate election administrator of the Western  Region shall be given twenty-four hours to count the votes and declare a winner. The candidate with the most votes for the office of Governor shall be elected Governor. The newly elected Governor is to be officially sworn in on the Thursday following the election and shall immediately assume office at that point. In the case of a tie, all tied candidates are to run in a run-off election the following week to determine a winner. In the case of a tie, the previous Governor shall remain in office until a Governor is elected. There may only be one Governor at any point in time. Once a new Governor is sworn in, the old one forfeits his or her office.
    If the office of Governor is to become vacant at some point while he or she is in office, the CJO shall assume the role of Acting Governor until a special election may be held. During this time, the Acting Governor shall retain their position as CJO.. If the vacancy occurs less than two  weeks before the next regularly scheduled election, the  CJO shall immediately become the Governor and serve for the remainder of the term - vacating their other offices.
    In the event that the office of Governor falls vacant Two  or more weeks before the next scheduled gubernatorial election, a special election shall be held to fill the remainder of the term. The election shall be held on the first Thursday following the vacancy, except where the Thursday falls within two days of the position becoming vacant, in which case the election will take place the following Thursday, and be held in the same manner as a regular gubernatorial election. Upon certification of the results, the Governor-elect shall immediately assume office upon swearing in.
    A Governor may be impeached at any time while he or she is in office by the will of two thirds of the Legislative Assembly of the Western  Region. Impeachment proceedings shall begin when a motion to impeach offered by a MLA is seconded by another MLA. Impeachment shall be pursued if an elected official commits an action or an instance of negligence that is deemed injurious to the public welfare or morals or to the interests of the Region and that is legally prohibited.
    The Governor has the power to make political appointments and serve as the official representative of the Region to the rest of Atlasia. The primary responsibility of the Governor shall be to execute laws passed by the Legislative Assembly of the Western Region  and to promote the interests of the region abroad.
    The Governor has veto power over any piece of legislation passed by the Western Legislative Assembly. The Governor may not have the power to veto parts as opposed to the whole of any legislation. The Governor is required to sign all pieces of legislation he or she supports into law after it passes a successful vote in the Legislative Assembly within one week of its passing. Once he or she has signed the legislation, it immediately becomes law unless otherwise stated in the legislation itself. If the Governor does not sign or veto the successful legislation after one week, then it becomes law immediately.
    The Governor is obligated to present the Legislative Assembly a budget for their term. The structure and procedure for the budget process are to be determined by law. The budget of all government activities is to be voted on  by the Assembly after a normal debate period. All budgets must include a plan for revenue and taxation.
    The chain of command for the Governorship of the Western  Region shall be as follows: Governor, CJO, Speaker of the Western Assembly, Dean of the Assembly , followed by the next longest and the next and so on. The chain of command shall be used to fill sudden vacancies in the office of Governor.
    The office of Governor is to be deemed vacant upon the resignation, recall, or impeachment of the sitting Governor. A Governor who takes no action over a ten (10) day period shall automatically forfeit his or her office unless an official leave of absence is acknowledged prior.

Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2016, 12:21:46 AM »

Continued
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2016, 01:19:53 PM »
« Edited: June 02, 2016, 01:36:16 PM by Registrar General 1184AZ »

I know, I am not a member of this wonderful and hollowed body, but I am wondering if you can include a provision for freedom of religion in this constitution.
Freedom of religion is already protected in the constitution under the following Section:
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2016, 01:30:20 PM »
« Edited: June 02, 2016, 02:28:31 PM by Registrar General 1184AZ »

Pages: [1] 2 3  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies