Single Day Primary vs Current System (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:22:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Process (Moderator: muon2)
  Single Day Primary vs Current System (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Single Day Primary vs Current System  (Read 6944 times)
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« on: June 09, 2016, 02:30:46 PM »

I would prefer single day primaries but later in the election season; the first Tuesday of May would work well (before summer vacation for schoolchildren and allowing a full six months for the general election campaign). The primary season wouldn't be any shorter; in fact usually the nominations are decided before then so it would lengthen it more often than not. This would also ensure that every vote counted equally, as opposed to the current system where Iowa and New Hampshire in particular have inordinate influence. Larger states wouldn't necessarily dominate campaign attention or appearances, any more than larger cities dominate attention or appearances in statewide races.

All open primaries to maximize participation.

All proportional allocation of delegates. If no candidate receives a majority, a contested convention is the result. Delegates bound to their candidate on the first ballot but all released on a second ballot or later. This would ensure that the nominee would be broadly acceptable to the party and a candidate couldn't win the nomination with only plurality support of the voters.

If I had my druthers, I would design the general election in a similar fashion. All electoral votes allocated proportionally, and if no one achieves a majority, revote until one candidate gets to a majority.

This system would result in the best balance IMO between giving all of the people an equal voice but also having a check and balance against candidates winning with a plurality of committed supporters against a divided field (in either the primaries or the general).
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies