Southern Regional Committee Discussion/Information Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 02:40:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Southern Regional Committee Discussion/Information Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Southern Regional Committee Discussion/Information Thread  (Read 1909 times)
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2016, 01:21:12 PM »

Archive of Votes

Principle Vote for Inaugural Senator Selection Method - Result: Plan C passed 4-0
Vote for Class I Senator - Result: Pingvin Elected 3-1
Vote for Removal of Southern Gothic - Result: Southern Gothic Removed 4-0
Vote to Determine When Senators are Elected - Result: Week before Federal passed 3-2-0-0

Added the most recent vote.
Another vote (which was not actively voted on, which is why I didn't include it) was the one to appoint me to replace Southern Gothic, which resulted in me being appointed 4-0.
If you don't like my name for the most recent vote, you can change it, Leinad.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2016, 11:53:33 PM »

Archive of Votes

Principle Vote for Inaugural Senator Selection Method - Result: Plan C passed 4-0
Vote to Determine When Senators are Elected - Result: Week before Federal passed 3-2-0-0

Added the most recent vote.
Another vote (which was not actively voted on, which is why I didn't include it) was the one to appoint me to replace Southern Gothic, which resulted in me being appointed 4-0.
If you don't like my name for the most recent vote, you can change it, Leinad.

Thanks, Peebs! Cheesy
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2016, 11:59:16 PM »

Archive of Votes

"Vote" to Appoint Peebs to replace Southern Gothic - Result: Peebs Appointed 4-0
Principle Vote to Determine When Senators are Elected - Result: Week before Federal passed 3-2-0-0
"Vote" to Lock June 2016 Senate Election - Result: Election Locked 3-0
"Vote" to Change the Order of the SRC Agenda - Result: Agenda Modified 3-0
"Vote" to Determine How Senators are Elected - Result: Popular Vote Approved 3-0
Principle Vote to Determine how Senate vacancies are filled - Result: Threshold passed 3-2-0

Decided to include the impromptu votes alongside the newest principle vote. You don't have to include the italicized, but I did here.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2016, 01:41:10 AM »

Archive of Votes

"Vote" to Appoint Peebs to replace Southern Gothic - Result: Peebs Appointed 4-0
Principle Vote to Determine When Senators are Elected - Result: Week before Federal passed 3-2-0-0
"Vote" to Determine How Senators are Elected - Result: Popular Vote Approved 3-0
Principle Vote to Determine how Senate vacancies are filled - Result: Threshold passed 3-2-0

Decided to include the impromptu votes alongside the newest principle vote. You don't have to include the italicized, but I did here.

Awesome, Peebs, thanks again! Cheesy
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2016, 04:31:58 PM »

Archive of Votes

Awesome, Peebs, thanks again! Cheesy

Indeed. I appreciate having a most complete possible record of the Committee's actions.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2016, 11:46:30 AM »

To summarize what happened last night:
- We chose not to have districts, instead elected representatives at-large. The vote was 2-3, with Leinad and Yankee voting in favor of districts and NeverAgain, Peebs and myself voting against.
- We decided not have a Lieutenant Governor. he vote was 2-3, with Leinad and Yankee voting in favor of having a Lt. Governor and NeverAgain, Peebs and myself voting against.
- By a unanimous vote, it was decided to have 5 representatives.

While I think everyone agreed that districts would add an interesting element, concerns were brought up that it would be too complicated for the startup of the region, may lead to gerrymandering and would likely lead to a split chamber in most sessions, giving a potential Lt. Governor enormous power to be able to break ties. Once it was decided not to have districts, the majority felt that the Lt. Governor can become useless and we should minimize the number of positions. I stated that I think it is better for the region to start simple and work up, rather than the other way around.

Our next order of business is to discuss the Bill of Rights, Regional Name and Regional Capitol. Once those three are determined, we will move into a styling phase to make sure the final draft has proper grammar and no inconsistencies and loopholes. Our plan is to have the the final draft approved later this week.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2016, 11:52:37 AM »

To summarize what happened last night:
- We chose not to have districts, instead elected representatives at-large. The vote was 2-3, with Leinad and Yankee voting in favor of districts and NeverAgain, Peebs and myself voting against.
- We decided not have a Lieutenant Governor. he vote was 2-3, with Leinad and Yankee voting in favor of having a Lt. Governor and NeverAgain, Peebs and myself voting against.
- By a unanimous vote, it was decided to have 5 representatives.

While I think everyone agreed that districts would add an interesting element, concerns were brought up that it would be too complicated for the startup of the region, may lead to gerrymandering and would likely lead to a split chamber in most sessions, giving a potential Lt. Governor enormous power to be able to break ties. Once it was decided not to have districts, the majority felt that the Lt. Governor can become useless and we should minimize the number of positions. I stated that I think it is better for the region to start simple and work up, rather than the other way around.

Our next order of business is to discuss the Bill of Rights, Regional Name and Regional Capitol. Once those three are determined, we will move into a styling phase to make sure the final draft has proper grammar and no inconsistencies and loopholes. Our plan is to have the the final draft approved later this week.

Thanks for this, I was just about to post my record!
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2016, 11:57:13 AM »

You can view what the constitution currently looks like here. The section on replacing regional senators needs to be edited (I'll work on that later today), but otherwise it is pretty consistent with what the committee has agreed to.
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2016, 10:04:27 AM »

Archive of Votes

Adoption of Rules of Order - Enacted by Majority Consent
Adoption of Basic Constitution - Enacted by Majority Consent
Adoption of Basic Agenda - Enacted by Majority Consent
Appointment of Peebs to replace Southern Gothic - Enacted by Majority Consent
June 2016 Senate Election Date Locked at 17th-19th - Enacted by Majority Consent
Modification of the Basic Agenda - Enacted by Majority Consent
Election of Senators by Popular Vote - Enacted by Majority Consent
Principle Vote to Determine how Senate vacancies are filled - Result: Hybrid system passed 3-2-0
Principle Vote to Determine Whether or Not the Legislature uses Districts - Result: Districts failed 2-3
Principle Vote to Determine Whether or Not to have an LG - Result: LG failed 2-3
Principle Vote to Determine the Size of the Legislature - Result: 5 Members Passed Unanimously
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2016, 08:35:04 PM »

Will be campaigning on 'districts' for the South. It's an idea who's time has come.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2016, 12:25:35 AM »

I just want to chime in that I don't support adding a voting age requirement to the constitution.  I understand that we're trying to be legislators and we're dealing with some make-believe constituents, but the most important constituents are Atlasian players.  There are kids that play this game, and a voting age would technically discriminate against them.  It's unnecessary and unenforceable.
I initially had that concern as well, but felt that by simply saying "voting age", per Atlasian constitution, that would just constitute as those who had a certain amount of posts and had an account that was a certain amount of days old. Do you find the proposed wording by NeverAgain to still be problematic?
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2016, 10:52:34 AM »

I just want to chime in that I don't support adding a voting age requirement to the constitution.  I understand that we're trying to be legislators and we're dealing with some make-believe constituents, but the most important constituents are Atlasian players.  There are kids that play this game, and a voting age would technically discriminate against them.  It's unnecessary and unenforceable.
I initially had that concern as well, but felt that by simply saying "voting age", per Atlasian constitution, that would just constitute as those who had a certain amount of posts and had an account that was a certain amount of days old. Do you find the proposed wording by NeverAgain to still be problematic?

Personally, I don't support adding it because it opens up the possibility of different interpretations, and I also just don't see why it needs to be there.  I guess the legislature could pass a bill defining "voting age" as those account activity requirements, but it's kind of a stretch of the meaning of the words IMO (especially since Yankee seemed to be concerned about children voting specifically).

Would 'posting age' work? I, as a non-voting age poster, would feel fine making that change.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2016, 01:02:09 PM »

I just want to chime in that I don't support adding a voting age requirement to the constitution.  I understand that we're trying to be legislators and we're dealing with some make-believe constituents, but the most important constituents are Atlasian players.  There are kids that play this game, and a voting age would technically discriminate against them.  It's unnecessary and unenforceable.

Personally, I don't support adding it because it opens up the possibility of different interpretations, and I also just don't see why it needs to be there.  I guess the legislature could pass a bill defining "voting age" as those account activity requirements, but it's kind of a stretch of the meaning of the words IMO (especially since Yankee seemed to be concerned about children voting specifically).

Largely because I didn't even consider the matter from a game play perspective, but rather from an in game perspective if that makes sense.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies