Will the Silent Majority vote for Hillary Clinton in November?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:27:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Will the Silent Majority vote for Hillary Clinton in November?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 96

Author Topic: Will the Silent Majority vote for Hillary Clinton in November?  (Read 3279 times)
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 27, 2016, 11:49:35 PM »

Mind you the silent majority today is different from the one that voted for Richard Nixon. Back in those days they were the white working class. Some on this forum seem to believe that is still the case but they are wrong. The silent majority in this country consists of suburban, working women who are busy balancing between work and family and are disgusted by Trump's rhetoric but perhaps didn't have time to participate in the primaries. It consists of naturalized citizens (and their children) who may not have cared much about American politics until Trump came around. These people combined with the Democratic base constitute a majority. These are the people who have been supporting Hillary in the primary as well. They are not as loud or passionate as the Bernie Bros or the Trumpen Proletariat but they are who decide elections in America. What do you guys think?
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 11:58:11 PM »

There was an article about this in NPR:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
http://www.npr.org/2016/05/27/479618571/hillary-clinton-supporters-may-be-hiding-in-plain-view
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2016, 12:35:03 AM »

I hope so. Sounds right.
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2016, 01:53:09 AM »

But what about all those THE SILENT MAJORITY STANDS WITH TRUMP signs that I see?
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2016, 02:01:28 AM »

But what about all those THE SILENT MAJORITY STANDS WITH TRUMP signs that I see?

I do find it funny that the loud minority quite often claims the mantle of silent majority.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2016, 02:13:20 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The irony is palpable. Wink
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2016, 11:17:25 AM »

No, for TRUMP.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2016, 01:08:08 PM »

Of course not.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2016, 02:51:51 PM »

Hillbots, you live in a fantasy world.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2016, 02:54:47 PM »

Of course. The sensible moderate Clinton/Kaine ticket will strike down the dangerous, radical, racist, misogynist Trump/Sanders ticket.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2016, 02:59:02 PM »

Hillbots, you live in a fantasy world.

I don't really think he is wrong in that the traditional 'silent majority' is now a loud majority, and the new 'silent majority' voters are minority and poor(er) voters, who are also becoming loud-er thanks to Trump.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2016, 02:59:28 PM »
« Edited: May 28, 2016, 03:17:54 PM by MW Representative RFayette »

It's not really the "silent majority."  The protesters at Trump rallies will almost all vote for Hillary in November (and many of them are Hillary supporters).  You don't see Trump supporters crashing Hillary or Bernie Sanders rallies.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2016, 03:15:20 PM »

It's not really the "silent majority."  The protesters at Trump rallies will almost all vote for Hillary (and many of them are Hillary protesters).  You don't see Trump supporters crashing Hillary or Bernie Sanders rallies.

Which Democratic candidate is on stage calling Republicans rapists and criminals and threatening to deport millions of conservatives?

I'm not saying these violent protests are right, but a lot of the violence comes from random people who just show up and stir up trouble. They aren't just showing up because they have minor disagreements about policy. Trump has threatened to deport millions of their people, and that is troubling when over 50% of Hispanics know someone who is undocumented, which may include family and friends. Whether or not you think it's accurate or right, Trump comes off as a hateful bigot to many minorities and they perceive him as legitimately threatening their livelihoods.

So, just saying, there are actual, major reasons this is happening. Republicans have no equivalent reasons to protest like this.
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -0.52

P P

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2016, 08:18:23 PM »

No.  Trump will be the 45th President of the United States.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2016, 09:02:07 PM »

It's not really the "silent majority."  The protesters at Trump rallies will almost all vote for Hillary (and many of them are Hillary protesters).  You don't see Trump supporters crashing Hillary or Bernie Sanders rallies.

Which Democratic candidate is on stage calling Republicans rapists and criminals and threatening to deport millions of conservatives?

I'm not saying these violent protests are right, but a lot of the violence comes from random people who just show up and stir up trouble. They aren't just showing up because they have minor disagreements about policy. Trump has threatened to deport millions of their people, and that is troubling when over 50% of Hispanics know someone who is undocumented, which may include family and friends. Whether or not you think it's accurate or right, Trump comes off as a hateful bigot to many minorities and they perceive him as legitimately threatening their livelihoods.

So, just saying, there are actual, major reasons this is happening. Republicans have no equivalent reasons to protest like this.

Do we just throw out existing laws and rewrite immigration law to say, "If you make it here, you're here for keeps!"?  That's the de facto policy of the Democratic Party now; other than criminals, who would they deport?

I get the point of your post, and it's true at a factual level.  But your point suggests that it's OK to ignore laws, and to ask the government to ignore laws, just because enforcement will impact your lawbreaking friends and family.  That these folks may be angry and fearful and have more, personally, at stake in the immigration issue doesn't make it right that illegal immigrants are in the country and it certainly doesn't justify violence.  Ordinary Americans have to choose between family and law often; they can't just harbor a fugitive because he's a family member.  Trump is not wrong when he suggests that willful failure to enforce our immigration laws, laws which the American People's representatives have not repealed, is a surrendering of a part of America's sovereignty.  Trump asks, "Are we going to have a country?".  He's not wrong in asking the question.

Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2016, 09:03:54 PM »

Until I see him losing on Election Day, it'll be more like the Silent 48/9.X  Percent failing to stave off trump.

Same way the Silent 48% didn't vote for Jimmeh back in '76, but the Loud  "F*(k Nixon" crowd" 50% did.

Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2016, 09:19:31 PM »

It's not really the "silent majority."  The protesters at Trump rallies will almost all vote for Hillary (and many of them are Hillary protesters).  You don't see Trump supporters crashing Hillary or Bernie Sanders rallies.

Do we just throw out existing laws and rewrite immigration law to say, "If you make it here, you're here for keeps!"?  That's the de facto policy of the Democratic Party now; other than criminals, who would they deport?

I get the point of your post, and it's true at a factual level.  But your point suggests that it's OK to ignore laws, and to ask the government to ignore laws, just because enforcement will impact your lawbreaking friends and family.  That these folks may be angry and fearful and have more, personally, at stake in the immigration issue doesn't make it right that illegal immigrants are in the country and it certainly doesn't justify violence.  Ordinary Americans have to choose between family and law often; they can't just harbor a fugitive because he's a family member.  Trump is not wrong when he suggests that willful failure to enforce our immigration laws, laws which the American People's representatives have not repealed, is a surrendering of a part of America's sovereignty.  Trump asks, "Are we going to have a country?".  He's not wrong in asking the question.

I am an immigrant (naturalized citizen) whose parents came to this country legally and I came to this country when I was a kid. I know many immigrants but I don't know of any who are here illegally. I wouldn't recommend it for anyone in my family to do so because it is a tough life. Of course my family isn't working class and coming to America as an illegal would lead to a reduction in their quality of life.

Anyways, one would think I wouldn't care about the issue of illegal immigration and in a sense I really don't. I do think a country had the right to enforce its immigration laws. America doesn't have to open up its doors to a flood of working class immigrants as there are plenty of people here who also need jobs. That being said it is Trumps nasty rhetoric that makes me oppose him with all my heart. He isn't just against illegal immigrants, he calls them rapists and criminals when the data suggests they are less likely to commit crimes than your average American. He plays to the crowd that is anti immigrant because they think America should be a white country. They don't differentiate between illegal and legal immigration. They want to deport anyone who isn't white. Trump pretends like he doesn't know who david duke is so he can pander to this crowd. That's the difference between him and someone who just wants to enforce immigration laws. Of course most people who are anti-illegal immigration really just want to keep this country white. That's why Trump and his supporters are a bunch of dirty, trashy racists.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2016, 09:47:18 PM »
« Edited: May 28, 2016, 09:50:15 PM by Virginia »

Do we just throw out existing laws and rewrite immigration law to say, "If you make it here, you're here for keeps!"?  That's the de facto policy of the Democratic Party now; other than criminals, who would they deport?

I get the point of your post, and it's true at a factual level.  But your point suggests that it's OK to ignore laws, and to ask the government to ignore laws, just because enforcement will impact your lawbreaking friends and family.  That these folks may be angry and fearful and have more, personally, at stake in the immigration issue doesn't make it right that illegal immigrants are in the country and it certainly doesn't justify violence.  Ordinary Americans have to choose between family and law often; they can't just harbor a fugitive because he's a family member.  Trump is not wrong when he suggests that willful failure to enforce our immigration laws, laws which the American People's representatives have not repealed, is a surrendering of a part of America's sovereignty.  Trump asks, "Are we going to have a country?".  He's not wrong in asking the question.

1. Nope, of course not. I've posted numerous times here in support for increased border security, but I want us to give these people already here right now a path to citizenship so we can solve this gigantic problem once and for all. After that, we should have a secure border and policies in place to prevent another situation where we have millions and millions of undocumented immigrants residing stateside. I don't want to "ignore" laws, but deporting that many people is insane. Just let them stay and make sure this type of situation never happens again.

2. You're right about the Democratic party, this is something I've also posted about here before. Democrats have essentially given in to every wish Hispanic social organizations have in regards to immigration just for votes. My party has sold out immigration policy entirely to these activists and blown off the concerns of the rest of America. Hispanics are on track to constitute roughly 11% - 13% of the electorate this year (depending on turnout surge), and somehow the Democratic party decided that sliver of the electorate gets to decide my party's immigration policy just because my party decides votes are more important than anything, country be damned? Sure, I agree.

The funny thing is, I actually do want a pathway to citizenship, but now that's just not enough for some people.

3. I get that people want the law to be enforced, but this problem is simply too big. Too many folks look at this strictly in legal terms and think, "they broke the law, so punish/deport. end of story." It's not that simple! Deporting all those people would hurt our economy and sharply divide us socially after people watch for months families being torn apart by the military on live TV.

I don't want open borders like they want, but I also want all these current undocumented immigrants to be legalized and pay taxes and come out of the shadows. That's all. I want an end to this freakin issue already. Both sides are being too damn unreasonable.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2016, 10:05:19 PM »

Virginia, as an immigrant, I will say what you are saying is the right thing to do. No country can have open borders. America has every right to decide how many immigrants are allowed to come into the country at any one time. If working class labor is needed in certain fields (agriculture for instance), a pathway should be created to have them come here legally. And the border should be secured and E-verify should be enforced religiously. Cracking down on employers rather than immigrants would much more efficiently end illegal immigration but it wouldn't satisfy the racists.
Panda Express

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2016, 10:19:47 PM »

Until I see him losing on Election Day, it'll be more like the Silent 48/9.X  Percent failing to stave off trump.

Same way the Silent 48% didn't vote for Jimmeh back in '76, but the Loud  "F*(k Nixon" crowd" 50% did.

What?
tallguy23
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2016, 11:59:59 PM »

Yes, but not enthusiastically.

My friend's father (a lifelong Republican) is begrudgingly voting for Clinton. He's disgusted by Trump and the current GOP.

Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2016, 12:44:15 AM »

I'd vote for pretty much anyone sane over Trump Miller, even if they were under criminal indictment. (Which name is he going to use on the ballot?) For example, voting for Nixon (live or dead) over Trump would be (like Trump himself) a no-brainer.
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2016, 12:47:14 AM »

Do we just throw out existing laws and rewrite immigration law to say, "If you make it here, you're here for keeps!"?  That's the de facto policy of the Democratic Party now; other than criminals, who would they deport?

I get the point of your post, and it's true at a factual level.  But your point suggests that it's OK to ignore laws, and to ask the government to ignore laws, just because enforcement will impact your lawbreaking friends and family.  That these folks may be angry and fearful and have more, personally, at stake in the immigration issue doesn't make it right that illegal immigrants are in the country and it certainly doesn't justify violence.  Ordinary Americans have to choose between family and law often; they can't just harbor a fugitive because he's a family member.  Trump is not wrong when he suggests that willful failure to enforce our immigration laws, laws which the American People's representatives have not repealed, is a surrendering of a part of America's sovereignty.  Trump asks, "Are we going to have a country?".  He's not wrong in asking the question.

1. Nope, of course not. I've posted numerous times here in support for increased border security, but I want us to give these people already here right now a path to citizenship so we can solve this gigantic problem once and for all. After that, we should have a secure border and policies in place to prevent another situation where we have millions and millions of undocumented immigrants residing stateside. I don't want to "ignore" laws, but deporting that many people is insane. Just let them stay and make sure this type of situation never happens again.

2. You're right about the Democratic party, this is something I've also posted about here before. Democrats have essentially given in to every wish Hispanic social organizations have in regards to immigration just for votes. My party has sold out immigration policy entirely to these activists and blown off the concerns of the rest of America. Hispanics are on track to constitute roughly 11% - 13% of the electorate this year (depending on turnout surge), and somehow the Democratic party decided that sliver of the electorate gets to decide my party's immigration policy just because my party decides votes are more important than anything, country be damned? Sure, I agree.
The funny thing is, I actually do want a pathway to citizenship, but now that's just not enough for some people.

3. I get that people want the law to be enforced, but this problem is simply too big. Too many folks look at this strictly in legal terms and think, "they broke the law, so punish/deport. end of story." It's not that simple! Deporting all those people would hurt our economy and sharply divide us socially after people watch for months families being torn apart by the military on live TV.

I don't want open borders like they want, but I also want all these current undocumented immigrants to be legalized and pay taxes and come out of the shadows. That's all. I want an end to this freakin issue already. Both sides are being too damn unreasonable.

This is my biggest issue but I will be labled a racist regardless of any actual facts personally about me or otherwise.  

Immigration should be fair for both sides and not disrespect the laws of the country.  Building some type of barrier(wall if you like) isn't a racist ideal. The drug trade and cartels are a huge issue and I wish more would be done to publicly dispute them. Its funny how the opposition to Donald Trump from hispanic activists is stronger than any opposition the real monsters in their own country.  

The one area where I think Trump was 100% wrong at is his wording "Rapist" and "criminals". I cant help but think he was trying to say what i did about the drug cartels and gangbangers, however he completely missed an opportunity.  I dont not believe you can stop the illegal hiring because business will always attempt to gamble with the risk of making more profit no matter the fines.  Illegal immigrants(without a criminal history) here currently that can show a residence for at least 5 years and employment should be granted citizenship.  
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2016, 12:56:54 AM »

This is my biggest issue but I will be labled a racist regardless of any actual facts personally about me or otherwise. 

Immigration should be fair for both sides and not disrespect the laws of the country.  Building some type of barrier(wall if you like) isn't a racist ideal. The drug trade and cartels are a huge issue and I wish more would be done to publicly dispute them. Its funny how the opposition to Donald Trump from hispanic activists is stronger than any opposition the real monsters in their own country.   

The one area where I think Trump was 100% wrong at is his wording "Rapist" and "criminals". I cant help but think he was trying to say what i did about the drug cartels and gangbangers, however he completely missed an opportunity.  I dont not believe you can stop the illegal hiring because business will always attempt to gamble with the risk of making more profit no matter the fines.  Illegal immigrants(without a criminal history) here currently that can show a residence for at least 5 years and employment should be granted citizenship. 

I think people can respectfully disagree with parts of your argument and present different facts (I'm personally a dove on immigration because I think there's a better way to combat the real drug problems you've identified and IMO other forces are hurting working folk in America a lot more than immigrants are) but this is not a racist or wildly unreasonable post.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2016, 01:40:32 PM »

Bump. Hillary overperformed her polls in NJ and CA......
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies