Opinion of this Anti-Trump video: "The Good Old Days"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 05:05:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Opinion of this Anti-Trump video: "The Good Old Days"
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Opinion of this Anti-Trump video: "The Good Old Days"  (Read 1771 times)
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 28, 2016, 12:22:56 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFZ-1EojoFM

Found this while browsing Kos. Have to admit, the words really match up quite well.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2016, 12:26:05 PM »

David Brock should be taking notes.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2016, 12:45:47 PM »

Very powerful and pretty much spot-on.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2016, 12:57:57 PM »

This is powerfully effective.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2016, 01:11:25 PM »

Inappropriate comparison.
Orthogonian Society Treasurer
CommanderClash
YaBB God
Bermuda

Political Matrix
E: 0.32, S: 4.78

P
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2016, 01:15:37 PM »

Calling Trump a racist didn't work the first 687 times but maybe...
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2016, 01:17:04 PM »

It was the GOP primary, honestly. And you're getting it wrong, he may not be racist personally, but his campaign certainly is.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2016, 01:23:22 PM »

Incredibly powerful video. I just wonder if swing voters will think it's too much
EliteLX
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.64, S: 0.85

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2016, 01:29:38 PM »

hahahaha what?!?

It'd be a great ad.. if the context of the soundbites was in any regards to race in even the slightest??
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2016, 01:41:19 PM »

Perfect !

This is exactly the type of ad that should be played day and night, a couple of weeks before the election in swing states. Individuals who are still not sure how to vote will clearly vote against trump, as they will decide that The Office needs to be filled with someone who is serious, and not a clown or a hater.

I am ProudModerate2 .... and I approve this message.

Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2016, 01:52:30 PM »

Trump is a rude loudmouth jerk, but acting like he's trying to bring back segregation or racial strife is rediculous. Good for fooling stupid people though.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2016, 01:56:34 PM »

Trump is a rude loudmouth jerk, but acting like he's trying to bring back segregation or racial strife is rediculous. Good for fooling stupid people though.

So in other words ....
It will fool trump supporters.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2016, 01:58:45 PM »

That's because Republican primary voters don't care. The general electorate is very different, and videos like these could be used to jack up minority turnout even more. They will not see things the way Trump supporters do, obviously.

True, but the nature of his campaign and some of the context from his words (eg, old NC man punching black guy) creates an environment where certain people, particularly racial minorities, will be far more open/swayed by videos like this.

It's not like Trump did nothing to encourage such videos. His campaign brought this on with its behavior and Trump's encouragement and/or tolerance of violence. When you have old white Southerners punching and kicking black people on live television, you might think it would be wise to step in and make sure it stops/never happens again. Trump did no such thing. He nurtured a reality where people could paint him as a racist, even if somewhat unfairly.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2016, 02:02:27 PM »

i certainly found it chilling, but then, the average drumpfbacke probably thinks the civil rights movement were rabble-rousers who deserved every bit of violence they endured. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Orthogonian Society Treasurer
CommanderClash
YaBB God
Bermuda

Political Matrix
E: 0.32, S: 4.78

P
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2016, 02:11:13 PM »

That's because Republican primary voters don't care. The general electorate is very different, and videos like these could be used to jack up minority turnout even more. They will not see things the way Trump supporters do, obviously.

The general electorate isn't going to take the attempted tarring and feathering of a major party's nominee well, especially in an election cycle defined by the question of political correctness. It's too transparent, and if anything, will push undecided whites over to Trump.
tallguy23
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2016, 12:04:16 AM »

Disturbing and frightening. It's effective as hell.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2016, 12:07:18 AM »

Oh no, Trump looks kind of scary. Maybe I should vote for Hillary, she won't beat up my token black friend, right?
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2016, 12:09:51 AM »

Oh no, Trump looks kind of scary. Maybe I should vote for Hillary, she won't beat up my token black friend, right?

BAHAHAHAHA
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2016, 01:00:18 AM »

The left doing what the left does, Identity politics ... pit one race against another.  In the end elect the crooked Hillary Clintion and watch your incomes shrink faster than wrestlers testicles after a roid injection.   In 4 years we can go blame the white folks again Smiley
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2016, 02:03:53 AM »

Effective in ramping up minority turnout. I don't think it helps with undecided whites but it certainly doesn't hurt either. If this ad makes you want to vote for Trump, you were going to vote for him anyways.
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2016, 03:03:02 AM »

This ad sucks.  I could make an ad of Hillary saying "we have to stand up for what we believe in" and show a picture of George Wallace standing in front of the schoolhouse door, it's the exact same thing.  The only reason it works is because people already think Trump is a racist so they can reach for this to confirm their point of view.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2016, 09:54:14 AM »

This ad sucks.  I could make an ad of Hillary saying "we have to stand up for what we believe in" and show a picture of George Wallace standing in front of the schoolhouse door, it's the exact same thing.  The only reason it works is because people already think Trump is a racist so they can reach for this to confirm their point of view.

Trump is a racist though (or plays one on TV for votes). That's why this ad is effective.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2016, 10:38:27 AM »

I love your new persona. Please keep it.
EliteLX
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.64, S: 0.85

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2016, 11:47:47 AM »

I could make an ad of Hillary saying "we have to stand up for what we believe in" and show a picture of George Wallace standing in front of the schoolhouse door, it's the exact same thing.  The only reason it works is because people already think Trump is a racist so they can reach for this to confirm their point of view.

Say it louder for those in the back, Steve.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2016, 01:11:12 PM »

That's true, but it wouldn't be nearly as effective. Many people already see Trump as bigoted to various degrees. The deportations, the Muslim ban, the black people getting beat up on video at his rallies, the resistance to condemning his white supremacist support, etc, etc. An ad like this with his not-so-positive statements synced to supporting scenes would do a lot better of a job reinforcing existing views than audio clips of someone else would.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies