1940: Garner (D) vs Lindbergh (R) vs Willkie (I)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:43:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  1940: Garner (D) vs Lindbergh (R) vs Willkie (I)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 1940: Garner (D) vs Lindbergh (R) vs Willkie (I)  (Read 1474 times)
Historia Crux
Andy Jackson
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 29, 2016, 03:57:53 AM »

Basically this is inspired by an idea that's been bouncing around my noggin and I was curious to see some discussion about this possible election scenario.

FDR decides to not run for a third term, opting to support Cordell Hull at first for the nomination. Instead of a speedy nomination, the convention becomes a fight between numerous candidates (Cordell Hull, John Garner, James Farley, Paul McNutt, Harry Hopkins, Millard Tydings, etc). When the dust settles, Vice President Garner wins the nomination.

The Republicans nominate famed aviator and noted isolationist Charles Lindbergh as their nominee.

With both the Democratic & Republican parties electing to nominate isolationists as their nominees, Wendell Willkie decides to mount an independent campaign based on internationalism and his relative support for the New Deal programs.

VEEP's, if you wish to include them, are up to your decision.

So from this scenario, how do things turn out?
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2016, 05:06:43 AM »

Under that scenario, I see an electoral deadlock and the House elects Garner. However, if Willkie ran one-to-one against Garner, he would have won.

Vice President John Nance Garner (D-TX)/Senator Alben W. Barkley (D-KY): 212 EV. (35.25%)
Explorer Charles Lindbergh (R-??)/Senator Robert A. Taft (R-OH): 201 EV. (34.27%)
Businessman Wendell Willkie (I-NY)/California Attorney General Earl Warren (I-CA): 118 EV. (28.74%)

I have no idea, what Lindbergh's home state was at that time. I thought maybe NY?
Historia Crux
Andy Jackson
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2016, 05:25:11 AM »

I have no idea, what Lindbergh's home state was at that time. I thought maybe NY?
I believe his home state was Minnesota if I remember correctly.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2016, 07:46:34 AM »

I believe his home state was Minnesota if I remember correctly.

His father was a Congressman from Minnesota, but I would probably have listed Michigan as his home state.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2016, 09:29:01 AM »

289: Businessman Wendell Willkie/Sen. Hiram Johnson*
177: VP John Garner/Fmr. Gov. Charles Bryan
65: Aviator Charles Lindbergh/Sen. Robert Taft

*Probably by MacArthur, Thomas Dewey, the La Follettes, Burton Wheeler, and etc.
Orthogonian Society Treasurer
CommanderClash
YaBB God
Bermuda

Political Matrix
E: 0.32, S: 4.78

P
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2016, 11:33:28 PM »
« Edited: May 31, 2016, 04:44:45 AM by clash »

Mr. Charles Lindbergh (R-MN)/Senator Robert Taft (R-OH) - 291 EV (48.6%)
Vice President John N. Garner (D-TX)/Secretary of Commerce Harry Hopkins (D-IA) - 240 EV (45.2%)
Mr. Wendell Wilkie/Senator Arthur Vandenberg - 0 EV (6.2%)
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2016, 09:41:23 AM »

In such a scenario, FDR endorses Willkie and convinces him to pick fellow progressive Democrat (and former Republican) Henry Wallace for the VP slot. Willkie wins the election.

✓ Businessman Wendell Willkie (I-IN)/Agriculture Secretary Henry A. Wallace (I-IA): 280 EVs.; 41.0%
Vice President John Nance Garner (D-TX)/Former Governor Llyod Stark (D-MO): 198 EVs.; 32.7%
Mr. Charles Lindbergh (R-MN)/Senator Arthur H. Vandenberg (R-MI): 53 EVs.; 25.9%
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2016, 05:44:48 PM »

I'd be torn between Wilkie and Garner but ultimately would vote for whoever has a better chance of beating the racist/antisemitic Lindbergh, which would almost certainly be Garner.

Garner barely beats out Lindbergh 272 EVs to 259 EVs, with Wilkie getting no EVs.

Popular vote breakdown:
46% - Garner
44% - Lindbergh
10% - Wilkie

This of course, is under the assumption that Garner doesn't decide to declare war on the new deal.
TaylorFillmore
Rookie
Canada

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2016, 01:10:40 PM »

Vice President John Nance Garner (D-Texas)/Former Post Master General James Farley (D-NY) - 322 Electoral Votes
Mr. Charles Lindbergh (R-Minnesota) /Senator Arthur Vandenberg (R-Michigan) -209 Electoral votes

Garner's presence atop the ticket increases the already strong turnout among Democrats in the South which of course doesn't win them any new states. Farley's presence in the Vice Presidential slot helps the Democrats to perform reasonably well in the northeast although Farley's home state of New York narrowly votes for the Republicans.  Wendell Wilkie wins no states but takes 10 percent of the popular which costs Lindbergh states which would have otherwise have voted for him. 
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies