Two June elections?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:51:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Two June elections?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Two June elections?  (Read 279 times)
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 29, 2016, 10:20:38 AM »

I've read in the Southern regional committee thread there will be a Senate election at the end of June. So if a region decided to hold elections at the beginning of June for class I Senate seat it would be for a term of two weeks?

Since the new constitution only states class I Senators are selected in June and doesn't give a specific election dates, could they not be elected for four months? Or how we still following the old legislation that specified late June elections. Maybe the next Congress will choose another week.

Will there be also another House election in late June? Could the Congress decides to skip late June elections since we just had elections to Congress?

Maybe the Supreme Court could enlighten us on what constitution and rules we are following at what time.

Constitutionally confused in Atlasia 
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2016, 12:04:25 PM »

I've heard about four different interpretations at this point: some think there is an election later on while others think it is entirely up to the regions on what to do and how to hold the elections.

Personally, I worry of election fatigue if we have separate threads going for each region's senatorial election and also the presidential election. It makes me think we should go fully regional or federal: either let the federal government run the senatorial elections along House/President (they have to occur the same months anyways) or allow the regions to administer the presidential election.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2016, 12:41:32 PM »

If I understand, the new constitution is fully implemented around June 6 and at that point every legislation except the new constitution is wiped out.

The new constitution let regions decide how to select Senators, It specifies class I and class II and the months of election for each. Senate is in article 3 of the new constitution:
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=222682.msg5060233#msg5060233

There is also article X who treats implementation of the new constitution.
I don't see a specific date in the month for elections so regions could choose any day of the month.

If a region holds a Senate election in June it would satisfy the new constitution for class I. If on June 6 everything done before cease to exist there is no more scheduled date for elections in June. The new Congress would need to pass legislation to decide that and with two legislative bodies they would need to do it quickly.

For the House the election was in May, there should be one in June according to the new constitution but there is no date fixed.

Regardless of legal text, except the class II regional Senator I thought the candidates elected at this time would be for a full term. The House needs to adopt its working rule before starting to legislate and one of the things could be the date of elections. The candidates elected this weekend will not have time to propose much legisltion before returning in election in June. That is not fair for them unless they understood the election could be for a couple of weeks only.

The regional committees will have to know the dates of elections if they decide to synchronize with the federal election in their constitution. Or they could levae it to legislation or just write: at the same time as

Still confused about election dates in Atlasia

Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2016, 04:51:42 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The federal ballot will be long when there are Presidential and House candidate on it. If there is also three regions Senate candidates on it, it makes a looong ballot whoever is in charge of administring the election.

Maybe if each region has a diiferent thread for voting you don't have candidates that don't concern your region (and less possible mistake in voting) but it gets more complicated to follow and count votes for national races. I don't know...   
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies