The South will rise again. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:15:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The South will rise again. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The South will rise again.  (Read 28968 times)
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« on: June 28, 2016, 05:39:17 PM »

Has this thread turned into another purist sh**t-fit by Ben Kenobi yet?

Ah, the good ol' days. Cheesy

Also, the South did "rise again", fortunately, thanks to my persistent efforts in pushing upon the masses a new game, and a map that was built around Southern Superiority (at the expense of those other silly and redundant Regions, which were chopped up). Hark!
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 05:41:33 PM »

Haha, I just read the relevant parts. Kenobi, don't you know that this always happens (I could say the same thing to the opportunistic Federalists)? You two just can't play well together. You should have just stayed in Labor: you'd have more freedom there!
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 05:46:11 PM »

Haha, I just read the relevant parts. Kenobi, don't you know that this always happens (I could say the same thing to the opportunistic Federalists)? You two just can't play well together. You should have just stayed in Labor: you'd have more freedom there!

So Labor is going to become an anti-gay rights party?

Please! Tongue

Nah, I just know that we wouldn't have any misconceptions about trying to control a wild boar rampaging through the ideological china shop. It seems the Federalists never learn that lesson. Greedy for more votes - sad!
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 05:48:40 PM »

Please, spare us the comedy! Tongue

He has perfect freedom to espouse his views, run on them and win election as a Federalist and he has more natural support in this party then he would ever have in LAbor, where he would just be used as a grenade by you, rather then actually be supported by people who share at least some of his vision as opposed to none of it.  

Hmm, because the way I see it, you're already trying to crack the whip and shut him up after just a couple of days! What a funny way to show "support". At least Labor is honest with its intentions and doesn't try to shut its members down constantly after recruiting them, knowing full good and well they can't be controlled. Fedoralololists just never learn!
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 07:03:06 PM »

In the Words of Ronald Reagan
Mr Senator North Carolina Yankee, PPT
There you go Again
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 07:03:47 PM »

Can I have permition to sig your last comments.

By all means!
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2016, 11:42:54 AM »

Like TM, I am looking forward to working with Labor and crafting some excellent legislation in the future.

Glorious news! Welcome to the Hive.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2016, 12:18:53 PM »

We all may have our disagreements, but we can all agree on one thing. I say it every night, every morning, every afternoon, and it's so true: the Federalist Party is a MESS.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2016, 12:38:14 PM »

It's been so long since this game has had controversial bitch-fests that many people don't know when or how to just enjoy things. Sad!
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2016, 01:50:33 PM »

LOL I know that Tmth of all people isn't being like "oh no people were sent vaguely undesirable PMs that could be construed in a politically-expedient sense as indirect intimidation"
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2016, 04:56:12 PM »

So sorry to see you go!

I completely understand the sentiment. When I joined the game, the Lieberal Party was the predominant force in the game (and had been for years; previously known as JCP before dissolution) but was all too willing to give into conservative fantasies and functioned more as a self-serving cult of Napoleon (who turned out to be Hamilton, a right-winger, so no surprise there). Poor Labor was close to half of the left-voting bloc but was completely subservient to their demands and basically fueled their electoral prowess with little to no benefit in return. I said enough was enough and decided to restore the Glorious Left's rightful position among our hemisphere, and unfortunately had to wage a war of attrition against the Lieberals. Unfortunately for them, they did not make it, but Labor was bestowed with its glorious crown as Queen Party of the Left and it hasn't looked back ever since.

You may very well have to follow a similar trajectory in order to be taken seriously by the power-brokers that be.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2017, 12:17:38 PM »
« Edited: May 15, 2017, 12:20:27 PM by Fmr. Pres. Griffin »

As best I can tell, the 5 winning candidates are the ones Clyde outlined. The problem is that we don't actually have an explicitly-established way of counting anymore. In the old game, quota was calculated slightly differently (i.e. the way Clyde referenced above; with an extra "+1" added to the final output), but those rules are no longer in place.

Also, as far as I know, there are no invalid ballots because there are no restrictions on activity requirements unless I've missed a constitutional amendment or something somewhere, so I'm pretty sure there are 48 valid voters.

I just did Paul Lockett on top of that and the numerical outcome is different than Clyde's math (outcome as far as candidates elected is same, though); much messier, but also has Celtic being eliminated before Diptheriadan and has Ben beating out Dip by 0.04 votes. Shows quota at 8.

Another thing to note is that as far as Atlasian precedent goes, I'm pretty sure multiple candidates who hit quota in a given round are elected then and there, rather than doing it one candidate per separate round. Maybe I'm misremembering, though.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2017, 12:36:58 PM »

Another thing to note is that as far as Atlasian precedent goes, I'm pretty sure multiple candidates who hit quota in a given round are elected then and there, rather than doing it one candidate per separate round. Maybe I'm misremembering, though.

That's pretty standard for STV elections: although normally each candidates surplus is transferred separately (and any elected candidates with untransferred surpluses can't gain any votes); since the theory is that if the gap between the bottom two candidates is bigger than the total of untransferred surpluses you then should eliminate the bottom candidate and transfer their votes to their next preferences.  Doesn't affect this election since that doesn't happen, but that's one of the problems I have with my calculator since it ends up taking votes that rank the most popular candidates with their first few preferences and effectively devalues their vote; when really those votes should just go to their next preference.

When I did the maths I had a different result; although that's probably because I calculated Ben's transfer value wrongly, I'll need to fix that quickly.

Yes, that sounds very familiar to me now that you mention it. Thanks for the clarification! It's been too long since I did this stuff on the regular and I was never very good at it. When I looked at the newest output I got from PL (which appears to be identical to the newly-published ones), I was huffing and puffing because TimTurner wasn't getting elected until the final round and potentially in danger despite hitting quota in the first round. He didn't have any surplus to redistribute and no one's surpluses went to him so I thought it looked very odd compared to what I remembered.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2017, 08:26:38 PM »

The South can't rise again if it's been put to sleep!

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies