Bernie now dictating to Hillary how to pick her VP
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:38:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Bernie now dictating to Hillary how to pick her VP
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Bernie now dictating to Hillary how to pick her VP  (Read 3114 times)
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 29, 2016, 05:11:34 PM »

http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/29/politics/bernie-sanders-warns-hillary-clinton-vice-presidential-pick/index.html

Bernie is no longer annoying. He's now a downright "in your face" dictator. Give it a rest Bernie. You LOST. Losers don't dictate terms.

Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2016, 05:41:11 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Doesn't sound like he's "dictating" anything. I think you're the one who needs to give it a rest.

Also he said that he likes Tim Kaine, so it's not like his standards are terribly high.
Angrie

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2016, 06:11:19 PM »

To me, it sounds like Bernie is subtly or not so subtly suggesting that the VP pick should be Elizabeth Warren. This would make for a historic ticket, and would help defend Hillary from charges that she is too close to Wall Street and too corrupt/insidery. It also makes tactical sense, since she is not from a swing state in which a GOP governor would appoint her replacement. A special election would be held, which a Democrat would be sure to win (no, there would not be a Martha Coakley event).

So Hillary should listen to Bernie, although it would be a shame to lose Warren in the Senate.
President of the civil service full of trans activists
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2016, 06:12:27 PM »

As somebody who's backed Bernie since May of 2015, he should let the presumptive nominee do what she wants.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2016, 06:14:51 PM »

As somebody who's backed Bernie since May of 2015, he should let the presumptive nominee do what she wants.

PEEBS NOW DICTATING TO BERNIE HOW TO DEAL WITH HILLARY'S VP CHOICE Tongue
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2016, 06:15:02 PM »

This. In fact Hillary should pick a mainstreamer like Booker or Kaine or Hickenlooper.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2016, 06:26:52 PM »

This. In fact Hillary should pick a mainstreamer like Booker or Kaine or Hickenlooper.

Best tactic to get a Trump presidency 10/10
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2016, 06:42:41 PM »

Mmmm, gotta love OPs like these.

I love the smell of Unity in the morning.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2016, 06:46:43 PM »

Yup.

Turns out you need the WHOLE party's vote to win, and a significant portion of the party has said it doesn't want a mainstreamer.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2016, 07:17:37 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Doesn't sound like he's "dictating" anything. I think you're the one who needs to give it a rest.

Also he said that he likes Tim Kaine, so it's not like his standards are terribly high.

I'll give it a rest when Bernie does the honorable thing and exits the race. His time is over.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2016, 07:28:46 PM »

Yup.

Turns out you need the WHOLE party's vote to win, and a significant portion of the party has said it doesn't want a mainstreamer.

Kind of the problem that that portion of the party thinks it speaks and reflects a bigger proportion of the electorate than it actually does.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2016, 07:30:09 PM »

I get why people would be pissed about being Bernie's shifting rhetoric on superdelegates or get pissed if he came out with harsh attacks on Hillary right now, but idk why people freak out at him trying to use all of the leverage he has to push the party in what he believes to be an important direction.

It's not like he's twisting Hillary's arm until she gives HIM the VP slot or some cushy job with a limo or something.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2016, 07:33:21 PM »

Agree with Raphael above.

Kind of the problem that that portion of the party thinks it speaks and reflects a bigger proportion of the electorate than it actually does.

Okay! Let's keep thinking that way.

Boy do I love Unity.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2016, 07:36:03 PM »
« Edited: May 29, 2016, 07:40:21 PM by Fmr President & Senator Polnut »

Boy do I love Unity.

Um... it's true. But I'm all for getting together, and I've been calling for Hillary to pick someone from the Democratic left, but not someone who is going to alienate the middle, which is where elections are still decided. We're at a time when the party bases are shifting further from the middle, we can't pretend that isn't the case. We're fortunate however, that (to paraphrase Maher) the GOP has shifted into the psychiatric ward.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2016, 08:57:55 PM »

I get why people would be pissed about being Bernie's shifting rhetoric on superdelegates or get pissed if he came out with harsh attacks on Hillary right now, but idk why people freak out at him trying to use all of the leverage he has to push the party in what he believes to be an important direction.

It's not like he's twisting Hillary's arm until she gives HIM the VP slot or some cushy job with a limo or something.

Considering that he's not even a Democrat, that he just signed up to run for President, I think he has some major balls trying to do anything like he has been doing lately. If the majority was with him then the majority would have voted for him in greater numbers than they voted for Hillary, and Bernie would have more clout when trying to "push the party" in whatever direction he saw fit.

He's pushing his own agenda and I find it tiring at this point in the game.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2016, 09:11:04 PM »

Considering that he's not even a Democrat, that he just signed up to run for President, I think he has some major balls trying to do anything like he has been doing lately. If the majority was with him then the majority would have voted for him in greater numbers than they voted for Hillary, and Bernie would have more clout when trying to "push the party" in whatever direction he saw fit.

Is it because you disagree with his agenda or because you don't like the idea of people pushing their agenda in this way?
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2016, 09:18:58 PM »

Is it because you disagree with his agenda or because you don't like the idea of people pushing their agenda in this way?

Bernie has made his agenda very clear from the start. In fact, he's repeated the same thing over and over to infinity.....we get it. He's not a very well rounded kind of candidate and he's pushing something too extreme for my taste. Yes we need reforms and to equal out the playing field for all Americans, and that is happening in increments as we go along. I don't want a revolution, I want evolution in increments that work for the whole. That is called an evolution in consciousness and it's what is happening in spite of Bernie or Hillary or anyone else.

Bernie said his peace, he's made his position known. Now it's time to let Hillary take over and for him to fade out like the GOP candidates did when they saw they couldn't win.

What makes Bernie's stance so special?
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2016, 09:24:53 PM »

He's not allowed to have an opinion now? He can't force her to do anything.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2016, 09:31:41 PM »

He's not allowed to have an opinion now? He can't force her to do anything.

EXACTLY!

Going around and saying that people should stay home or vote for Trump, or lying about her record, or trying to get the superdelegates to flip is one thing, and I disagree with all of those approaches (to be fair, he hasn't really taken any of them and I doubt he will, and any suggestions that he would are just posturing).

Simply trying to speak out to the powerful and get them to act on something he believes is right?  I don't see what's so offensive about that.  You're allowed to disagree with his vision and push back hard against him and make an opposing case, but criticizing him for speaking and using his voice to twist Hillary's arm for something he genuinely believes in is just dumb IMO.

A much better thread title would be "Bernie advising Hillary to make stupid VP far left picks that are too extreme IMO/will hurt the Democrats chances at election," if that's how you genuinely feel.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2016, 09:45:41 PM »

Whenever Bernie opens his mouth, two groups of people foam at the mouth. His most diehard supporters, to whom he can do no wrong, and the anti-Sanders hacks (of which there are 4-5 on this forum), to whom he can do no right.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2016, 11:20:42 PM »

Consider that my thread title is more along the line of something exaggerated that Trump might say to get attention! Trump can do no wrong whether he's right or wrong, so I thought it should work for me, too. ;-)
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2016, 11:31:56 PM »

Whenever Bernie opens his mouth, two groups of people foam at the mouth. His most diehard supporters, to whom he can do no wrong, and the anti-Sanders hacks (of which there are 4-5 on this forum), to whom he can do no right.

I just hope all this rhetoric hasn't turned you off to voting for good, undecided voter. You and your kind may very well be the last glimmer of hope in 2016, otherwise known for the election from hell.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2016, 11:33:29 PM »

How dare someone not drop out before I get to vote? How dare they!
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2016, 11:38:38 PM »

I look forward to seeing Jfern's reaction when Hillary wins California.

Boy do I love Unity.

Um... it's true. But I'm all for getting together, and I've been calling for Hillary to pick someone from the Democratic left, but not someone who is going to alienate the middle, which is where elections are still decided. We're at a time when the party bases are shifting further from the middle, we can't pretend that isn't the case. We're fortunate however, that (to paraphrase Maher) the GOP has shifted into the psychiatric ward.

Who can you think of that rings "good enough" with Sanders Supporters but wouldn't alienate the middle? Warren and Brown would alienate the middle. Sanders himself is probably fine with Kaine or Booker, but his supporters probably aren't. Names that come to mind are the Castros - but only because they're unknown and therefore have few enemies - and Al Franken, who doesn't bring in a single voter Hillary wouldn't get otherwise.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2016, 11:40:19 PM »

Who can you think of that rings "good enough" with Sanders Supporters but wouldn't alienate the middle? Warren and Brown would alienate the middle. Sanders himself is probably fine with Kaine or Booker, but his supporters probably aren't. Names that come to mind are the Castros - but only because they're unknown and therefore have few enemies - and Al Franken, who doesn't bring in a single voter Hillary wouldn't get otherwise.

Bernie polls better with the middle than Hillary. The idea that she has to move even further right wing to win is so ridiculous and disgusting.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies