Voter Registration and Voting Rules Act (Debating) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:24:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Voter Registration and Voting Rules Act (Debating) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Voter Registration and Voting Rules Act (Debating)  (Read 433 times)
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« on: May 30, 2016, 05:34:36 PM »

Thank you, Senator Kent. This amendment merely fixes grammatical errors and makes all pronouns gender-neutral. I ask that Senator Blair accept this amendment as a friendly.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2016, 05:54:00 PM »

I'm afraid that the word "they" is not a proper singular gender-neutral pronoun.
You're right, it isn't. But it provides a better alternative than using masculine or feminine, which constrains individuals to two genders. And it is also more preferable to lesser known gender-neutral pronouns, such as zie/zim/zir, as that will lead to confusion.

This has been an ongoing discussion on my college campus for the past year, and from conversations with individuals in our Office of Multicultural Affairs, including those most affected by this, I believe this is the proper way to proceed.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2016, 06:06:50 PM »

Also, I hate to turn this thread into a grammar discussion, but when you're talking about your friend's friend whom you do not know the gender of, do you say "Is he or she a nice person" or "Are they a nice person?"
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2016, 06:12:57 PM »

So instead of just criticizing this suggestion, what do you propose as an alternative? You don't strike me as the kind of person who would want to use wording that isn't inclusive.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies