Bill Kristol announces someone will run 3rd party UPDATE: It's David French
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:15:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Bill Kristol announces someone will run 3rd party UPDATE: It's David French
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: Bill Kristol announces someone will run 3rd party UPDATE: It's David French  (Read 8970 times)
jman123
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 29, 2016, 08:37:52 PM »
« edited: May 31, 2016, 06:38:07 PM by Mr. Morden »

http://www.breitbart.com/2016-presidential-race/2016/05/29/bill-kristol-will-independent-candidate/

Is he serious?  I thought it's too late for filing election petitions for an indy run

UPDATE: It's David French:

President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2016, 08:41:17 PM »

This isn't much. Call me when the Renegade Party has a nominee.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2016, 08:45:44 PM »

It's possible they've been collecting signatures behind the scenes, but people would've caught wind.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2016, 09:06:07 PM »

Kristol is a certified moron who said Giuliani was going to run in 2012.
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2016, 09:16:44 PM »

It's possible they've been collecting signatures behind the scenes, but people would've caught wind.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2016, 09:18:56 PM »

I'll believe it when I see it.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2016, 09:20:15 PM »

The only appropriate answer at this point.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2016, 09:22:49 PM »

https://twitter.com/StopTrumpPAC/status/737106284047159296?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2016, 09:25:21 PM »

IT'S HAPPENING!!!(?)
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2016, 09:32:36 PM »

Short term Betfair opportunity?
Horsemask

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: -4.87

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2016, 09:50:16 PM »

Holy crap is this actually happening?
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2016, 09:59:46 PM »
« Edited: May 29, 2016, 10:02:26 PM by Ronnie »

If this happens, this will be a 1964 style landslide, with Republicans losing the Senate and the House.

It would be a 1964 style landslide on the presidential level, but why would it entail the Republicans losing congress?  I imagine both Trump voters and most people voting for Kristol's neocon will also vote for Pubs downballot.
Horsemask

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: -4.87

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2016, 10:00:14 PM »

If this happens, this will be a 1964 style landslide, with Republicans losing the Senate and the House.

it was going to be a 1964 landslide anyway
madelka
United States
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2016, 10:24:37 PM »

Democrats can't possibly get that lucky, right?
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2016, 12:50:39 AM »

I'll believe it when I see it, but at the very least Trump is not amused by this development:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/737054226833149952

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/737055532960223233

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/737056428452630528
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2016, 01:23:25 AM »

You rang? I heard, "trump". "landslide" and "1964".
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2016, 02:51:04 AM »

^I think the long-term consequences at the presidential level would be far more disastrous for the GOP, with states like TX, MS and GA becoming battlegrounds. If the Democrats play their cards right, they'll be able to lock the GOP out of the White House for maybe another 20 years.

Nah, I doubt it.  When Trump loses, the unanimous backlash against him will be a sight to behold.  The GOP will recover quickly because their voters are idiots with short memories.  You talk about 1964; look what happened four years later.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2016, 04:09:23 AM »

^I think the long-term consequences at the presidential level would be far more disastrous for the GOP, with states like TX, MS and GA becoming battlegrounds. If the Democrats play their cards right, they'll be able to lock the GOP out of the White House for maybe another 20 years.

Nah, I doubt it.  When Trump loses, the unanimous backlash against him will be a sight to behold.  The GOP will recover quickly because their voters are idiots with short memories.  You talk about 1964; look what happened four years later.

That's not that good a comparison to make, considering there was a fairly strong third party challenge (Wallace) and Nixon won with only 42% nationally.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2016, 04:23:47 AM »

Real question, since these are the only places this mystical conservative savior will have a snowball's chance in hell:

Will the True Conservative win NOVA and DC suburban Maryland? Or only David Brooks's heart?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2016, 07:05:53 AM »

I really don't understand how someone can think that a 3rd party conservative run will do *long term* damage to the GOP, unless the splinter conservative group remains outside the party beyond 2016 (which it won't, since its only purpose for existing would be to run a non-Trump candidate).  It would blow up Trump's chances this time, but why would it matter in 2020 or beyond?

Likewise, I don't see how it's going to hurt downballot, even this year.  Most of those voters are going to vote for Republicans for other offices.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2016, 07:17:16 AM »

That's not that good a comparison to make, considering there was a fairly strong third party challenge (Wallace) and Nixon won with only 42% nationally.

Additionally, the Democratic Party had all but tore itself apart during that election cycle as well. It was a very underwhelming win for Nixon, all in all. A win is a win, however...
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2016, 07:24:27 AM »

I really don't understand why Bill Kristol et al don't just get behind Johnson/Weld. I mean...they were good enough as Governors for the party, weren't they? Their views really haven't changed all that much. Ballot access in 49 states (and they may have it in OK this year, too).

I could see Kristol thinking something like "but the standard-bearer needs to be chosen by the elite establishment types like us for it to mean anything", but most of the types that'd be likely to vote for an independent conservative are in lock-step with Libertarian economy policy broadly speaking (worried about their personal incomes and levels of taxation, as opposed to those favoring subsidies for their industries and so forth, the latter of which makes up an insignificant sum of voters). They don't care about social issues one way or another for the most part.

Is Kristol still of the persuasion that they're going to be able to throw it to the House? Furthermore, does he believe that the GOP House would screw Trump in such a way when they haven't been willing to man up and attack him throughout this whole ordeal (perpetually until it was too late) or stay the course and try to pull the rug out from under him at the convention?
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2016, 07:42:34 AM »

NO!

This stupid GOP Temper Tantrum Ticket--because for the first time in years, the establishment isn't getting their way--does NOTHING!

At least, nothing good. They have no chance to win, but will almost certainly ruin the growth of my political movement. The Libertarian Party has been going on for over 40 years--it's a coherent movement based around a sensible ideology that has consistently gotten the short end of the stick, and forces are converging (an LP candidate with immense qualifications vs. two much-loathed major party candidates) to grow the movement. This "#NeverTrump ticket" bullsh#t is nothing but reactionism--there is no ideology behind it, no plan behind it, nothing!

And it's the same neocon hacks that have held all the power! You guys got to nominate all these establishment Republicans in recent times. Lots of them lost (Dole, McCain, Romney), and the one that won is generally considered one of our worst Presidents ever. You guys suck at running political parties so much that you literally had the party's supporters rise up against you and nominate Donald Freaking Trump, with Ted Freaking Cruz in second! The Bill Kristol crowd are why the Republican party is so fudged up right now--no one stole it from you, you lost it!

And, again, because this will hurt the Libertarian Party, I strongly loathe this idea, and if they go through with this petulant temper tantrum because they aren't getting their way, Bill Kristol can go f*** an electric socket.

I really don't understand why Bill Kristol et al don't just get behind Johnson/Weld. I mean...they were good enough as Governors for the party, weren't they? Their views really haven't changed all that much. Ballot access in 49 states (and they may have it in OK this year, too).

I could see Kristol thinking something like "but the standard-bearer needs to be chosen by the elite establishment types like us for it to mean anything", but most of the types that'd be likely to vote for an independent conservative are in lock-step with Libertarian economy policy broadly speaking (worried about their personal incomes and levels of taxation, as opposed to those favoring subsidies for their industries and so forth, the latter of which makes up an insignificant sum of voters). They don't care about social issues one way or another for the most part.

Is Kristol still of the persuasion that they're going to be able to throw it to the House? Furthermore, does he believe that the GOP House would screw Trump in such a way when they haven't been willing to man up and attack him throughout this whole ordeal (perpetually until it was too late) or stay the course and try to pull the rug out from under him at the convention?

I wholeheartedly agree with, like, every word of that.

And to answer your question: this is the equivelent of what a spoiled child does when their sibling gets to pick what to watch on TV, after they got to pick what to watch literally every time before that.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2016, 08:09:23 AM »

Considering Bill Kristol is part of the "always wrong" group of pundits that somehow keep their jobs, I'll believe it when I see it.
Angrie

« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2016, 10:03:47 AM »

It either has to be hot air or else an actually big name. Maybe Romney, or maybe even McCain realizing that he is doomed in AZ-SEN and putting his money where his mouth is and actually putting "Country First" to atone for Palin.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies