Nate Silver on including Johnson in polls (and other general poll talk):
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:30:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Nate Silver on including Johnson in polls (and other general poll talk):
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Nate Silver on including Johnson in polls (and other general poll talk):  (Read 438 times)
JRP1994

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 31, 2016, 03:42:22 PM »

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/of-course-trump-can-win/?ex_cid=story-twitter

"Harry Enten: More undecided voters now gives credence to the idea that this year may be good for third-party candidates (see Johnson, Gary). I made this argument two weeks ago.

Nate Silver: Sure, and one thing the pollsters are going to have to decide soon is whether to include Johnson in their surveys.

Harry: I’m of the belief that pollsters should at least offer Johnson as an option to some respondents. Otherwise pollsters are putting their thumb on the scale, in my opinion. Johnson has more electoral experience than Trump does. Why isn’t he serious?

Nate: I agree. Some pollsters don’t like to include third-party candidates because, for a variety of reasons, polls sometimes overstate their numbers. But it’s not a pollster’s job, in my view, to take that choice away from the voter when they’ll have it on the ballot. They can always ask the question both ways, too — with Johnson and without.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 04:21:45 PM »

Either the current level of media attention for Johnson continues, in which case he'll slowly be included in all polls by summer, or it subsides, in which case he gets excised from the polls he's currently in and we all forget about him. This is one of those issues that normally resolves itself with time.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies