Cincinatti Zoo officials shoot and kill gorilla after child falls into enclosure
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 03:23:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Cincinatti Zoo officials shoot and kill gorilla after child falls into enclosure
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Poll
Question: Did Cincinnatti zoo officials do the right thing by shooting and killing the gorilla?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 79

Author Topic: Cincinatti Zoo officials shoot and kill gorilla after child falls into enclosure  (Read 5488 times)
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: June 05, 2016, 12:20:12 AM »

Why is this vote so close? What were they supposed to do, let the gorilla kill the child?

I wouldn't go that far Smiley

The real villains in this story are the assholes blaming the parents.  I'd bet 80% of them are not parents.

^ true that. People are so quick to blame parents when tragic accidents happen to everybody (like the classic horrible story of the child accidentally locked in a hot car). I think a lot of them are people who aren't parents and don't understand children, but I imagine a good proportion are parents as well, desperately trying to rationalise that tragedies will never, ever happen to them.

(Also, it's a rock and a hard place, because parents get sh**t on all the time for being "helicopter parents" who mollycoddle their kiddies.)
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: June 05, 2016, 01:59:38 AM »

As much as I love primates, the child should definitely come first. Who can live with knowing they let an ape kill an innocent kid when they had a chance to save him? The kid didn't know what he was doing and didn't deserve to die, the zoo failed to provide a secure habitat and the mother should have kept a better eye on him.. though, to be fair, I don't think it would be unreasonable to assume that your average mother believes kids can't just sneak into an enclosure like that. But, still, is the ape that important? Was it currently serving a super critical function, other than simply existing in a terribly small living space with random people gawking at it all day? We have its DNA, after all. Not the same, sure, but it reduces the severity of its death.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #52 on: June 05, 2016, 11:39:09 AM »
« Edited: June 05, 2016, 11:41:08 AM by Enver Pasha of Enverland »

I imagine that shooting the gorilla while it was holding a baby was pretty dangerous in itself.

I'm not an expert, but wouldn't it be safer to shot the gorriba with sedatives. Isn't that usually a case?

I don't consider myself qualified to pass a judgement who was more responsible for this incident, but there's something terribly wrong if such thing could happen.
Higgs

Political Matrix
E: 6.14, S: -4.17

« Reply #53 on: June 05, 2016, 01:40:22 PM »

I imagine that shooting the gorilla while it was holding a baby was pretty dangerous in itself.

I'm not an expert, but wouldn't it be safer to shot the gorriba with sedatives. Isn't that usually a case?

I don't consider myself qualified to pass a judgement who was more responsible for this incident, but there's something terribly wrong if such thing could happen.

From what I've read the sedative would've taken 5 to 10 minutes before the gorilla was out. With the gorilla violently dragging the kid around, waiting 5 to 10 minutes wasn't really much of an option.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #54 on: June 05, 2016, 02:02:43 PM »

From what I've read the sedative would've taken 5 to 10 minutes before the gorilla was out. With the gorilla violently dragging the kid around, waiting 5 to 10 minutes wasn't really much of an option.

Yes, there was no other option. What's most regretable is not the fact they had to shoot gorilla (who would take a risk with a kid's life threatened?), but the fact such situation was allowed to happen in the first place. Someone's obviously at fault, whether it's a casual carelessness or a fundamental flaw in the security. The kid was put at mortal danger and, I imagine, suffered a big trauma, and the gorilla had to be killed. It didn't have to happen.
Higgs

Political Matrix
E: 6.14, S: -4.17

« Reply #55 on: June 05, 2016, 02:18:16 PM »

Yes, there was no other option. What's most regretable is not the fact they had to shoot gorilla (who would take a risk with a kid's life threatened?), but the fact such situation was allowed to happen in the first place. Someone's obviously at fault, whether it's a casual carelessness or a fundamental flaw in the security. The kid was put at mortal danger and, I imagine, suffered a big trauma, and the gorilla had to be killed. It didn't have to happen.

Agreed, better precautions need to be taken so tragedies like this can be avoided.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #56 on: June 05, 2016, 04:35:05 PM »

FWIW, the child is reportedly doing well. But the facts are, it is indeed possible that nobody is at fault for this.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #57 on: June 05, 2016, 04:36:26 PM »

oh that just won't do, there is no such thing as an accident in America in 2016.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #58 on: June 06, 2016, 04:54:17 AM »

FWIW, the child is reportedly doing well. But the facts are, it is indeed possible that nobody is at fault for this.

Well, at least there must be something wrong with the security system if this could happen so yes, someone is at fault.

ZOO is responsible to safety. Parents are responsible for their children.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #59 on: June 06, 2016, 02:00:13 PM »

Don't see it anywhere, but the mother was, in fact, cleared today, which I think is the right thing to do. If they have not already, hopefully the zoo will take precautions to make it harder for a toddler to gain access that easily to a gorilla's enclosure.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #60 on: June 06, 2016, 03:03:00 PM »

How did the little bastard fall in that enclosure so easily, anyway?  Was the barrier right there on display for any small child to enter if they wished?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #61 on: June 09, 2016, 04:12:57 AM »

http://www.gocomics.com/bloom-county/2016/06/08

Fairly spot on in my opinion. Some animals do well in zoos, but gorillas aren't one of them.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #62 on: June 10, 2016, 09:18:12 AM »

Yes, the child’s life was in danger. They had obviously no choice. But I blame the parents for not taking care for the boy the way it should be. The gorilla just followed his natural instincts and, as a result, got killed. But the cops had no choice. I really shuddered when I saw the video.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #63 on: June 12, 2016, 09:27:09 PM »

More so than the Zoo?  Sometimes even good parents lose track of their kid.

This. It sounds more like the Zoo effed up.

Look up the legal term "attractive nuisance".
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #64 on: August 06, 2016, 09:19:02 PM »

#DicksOutForHarambe
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #65 on: August 07, 2016, 03:56:22 AM »

Anthropomorphism has it's limits as a decision-making tool.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #66 on: August 07, 2016, 04:51:26 AM »

Yes, human life always takes precedence over animal life in any circumstance (literally normal).
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #67 on: August 07, 2016, 05:24:01 AM »

Sometimes the ends justify the memes.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #68 on: August 07, 2016, 06:15:33 AM »

How did the little bastard fall in that enclosure so easily, anyway?  Was the barrier right there on display for any small child to enter if they wished?

I can't tell if the angst toward the kid is real or not. As much as I hate most things young (millennials), a death sentence for something a lot of kids would probably love to do--climb into a zoo exhibit--for relatively innocent reasons doesn't seem appropriate. That aside though, "little bastard" seems a bit harsh of a label.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #69 on: August 07, 2016, 04:19:15 PM »

Yes, human life always takes precedence over animal life in any circumstance (literally normal).

Agree to disagree.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #70 on: August 07, 2016, 04:26:42 PM »

Agree to disagree.

I seriously hope you're trolling.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #71 on: August 07, 2016, 04:29:49 PM »

That's the second time in this thread I've been accused of that.  No, I'm not trolling.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #72 on: August 07, 2016, 04:33:39 PM »

Well I can say in all honesty that is one of the creepiest things I have ever read on this forum. And that's saying a lot.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #73 on: August 07, 2016, 04:42:05 PM »

Wtf?  I know you're a sensitive snowflake these days, but your flabbergasted tone here is arguably more strange than anything I've said here.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #74 on: August 07, 2016, 04:46:13 PM »

Wtf?  I know you're a sensitive snowflake these days, but your flabbergasted tone here is arguably more strange than anything I've said here.

What?

I'm pretty sure most people would be equally shocked to hear someone argue that they'd rather see a human child die rather than a gorilla. At least I want to hope so.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies