Cincinatti Zoo officials shoot and kill gorilla after child falls into enclosure
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:28:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Cincinatti Zoo officials shoot and kill gorilla after child falls into enclosure
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Poll
Question: Did Cincinnatti zoo officials do the right thing by shooting and killing the gorilla?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 79

Author Topic: Cincinatti Zoo officials shoot and kill gorilla after child falls into enclosure  (Read 5496 times)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: August 10, 2016, 04:30:39 AM »

All these bizarre and improbable hypotheticals have got me wondering though... so here's a new one:

Koko the gorilla and [tw] Donald Trump are both drowning in a river.  You can only save one.  Which do you choose?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #101 on: August 18, 2016, 01:29:37 AM »

Jesus. Almost 40% here would've said the very very real risk of the kid dying wasn't worth it.

It's probably for the best that many here don't/won't have kids of their own, but c'mon now.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #102 on: August 18, 2016, 04:13:56 AM »

Jesus. Almost 40% here would've said the very very real risk of the kid dying wasn't worth it.

It's probably for the best that many here don't/won't have kids of their own, but c'mon now.

Misanthropy is kewl, don'tcha know?
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #103 on: August 18, 2016, 09:34:30 AM »

One kid is mathematically less important than a gorilla. Not sure why it's complicated.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #104 on: August 18, 2016, 09:49:40 AM »

One kid is mathematically less important than a gorilla. Not sure why it's complicated.

This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever read from you. You usually take the only sensible stance, but this isn't even open for debate.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #105 on: August 18, 2016, 09:58:37 AM »

You're trying way too hard.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #106 on: August 18, 2016, 10:59:26 AM »

This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever read from you. You usually take the only sensible stance, but this isn't even open for debate.

What's the gorilla/kid tradeoff? Presumably (?) you'd agree that massacring every gorilla alive to save one child is over the top. 100 gorillas per kid? We're just arguing about details.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #107 on: August 18, 2016, 10:05:31 PM »

I voted yes in this poll, but no is a far more justifiable stance than yours in the other thread is...
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #108 on: August 19, 2016, 12:15:47 AM »

I voted yes in this poll, but no is a far more justifiable stance than yours in the other thread is...
Antonio enjoys his pulpit. The message is of less importance.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #109 on: August 19, 2016, 01:57:47 AM »

Antonio enjoys his pulpit. The message is of less importance.

Really? That's the impression you get from my posts?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #110 on: August 19, 2016, 04:48:03 AM »

As much as 'speciesism' is frankly annoying, if the boy falls in and calls out in distress or his mother does then because I can understand him and I cannot communicate with the gorilla, I can't be blind to the calls for help. That would be inhuman. So I would save the child.

Likewise if Johnny Human is having fun torturing another gorilla and the gorilla is distressed, I'd immobilise the human because I can understand the gorilla's distress.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #111 on: August 19, 2016, 04:58:54 AM »

As much as 'speciesism' is frankly annoying,

I thought you identified as a humanist.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #112 on: August 19, 2016, 06:15:25 AM »

I am. I don't see why I should lack concern for the wellbeing of animals given that animal husbandry is one of the hallmarks of what makes us human.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #113 on: August 19, 2016, 07:33:44 AM »

I am. I don't see why I should lack concern for the wellbeing of animals given that animal husbandry is one of the hallmarks of what makes us human.

Lack of concern for the wellbeing of animals is not the issue here. I don't think anyone here is arguing it's OK to kill gorillas for fun.

My point is that, if the word humanism has any meaning, it means attaching the highest intrinsic moral value to the human person. And this, in turn, entails that the only moral choice is to protect the human's life over the animal's regardless of the specifics of a situation.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #114 on: August 19, 2016, 10:36:29 AM »

Don't intervene and let the free market decide which one lives.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #115 on: August 19, 2016, 10:47:17 AM »

Lack of concern for the wellbeing of animals is not the issue here. I don't think anyone here is arguing it's OK to kill gorillas for fun.

My point is that, if the word humanism has any meaning, it means attaching the highest intrinsic moral value to the human person. And this, in turn, entails that the only moral choice is to protect the human's life over the animal's regardless of the specifics of a situation.

I think this is the part most people are taking issue with. At least, I know it's the part I am.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #116 on: August 19, 2016, 02:02:38 PM »

I think this is the part most people are taking issue with. At least, I know it's the part I am.

I mean, you're free to take issue with it. Just don't call yourself a humanist. Words need to have some kind of meaning to them.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #117 on: August 19, 2016, 02:24:04 PM »

Don't intervene and let the free market decide which one lives.

let the states decide

rhode island choose gorilla, oregon choose child

states laboratories of democracy Smiley
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #118 on: August 24, 2016, 12:44:44 AM »

Harambe's legacy lives on.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #119 on: August 30, 2016, 09:10:42 PM »

To parts of Joe's point, I don't think "would you kill a human or gorilla?" is the right question. The dominating questions should be "how did a kid get in there?", "why do we cage gorillas in the first place?", "are there better options in the future?", etc. Pontificating about human greatness doesn't help much from stopping this.

OK, but provided that there was a zoo, that one of its cages had a gorilla in it, that a kid got there somehow, and that he would have died if the gorilla hadn't been killed, isn't this an important moral question to resolve? These things do happen and will sometimes happen. If we can't agree as a society on which of those two lives we value most, that's a serious problem.

It is. It's not crazy to have the view that the gorillas life should be saved instead, but it's definitely worrying.  It shows you how easily these sorts of shared values are lost without a firm agreed upon basis for them.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies