1972 and Beyond: The Collapse of the Nixon Presidency
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:28:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  1972 and Beyond: The Collapse of the Nixon Presidency
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who do you support? (Doesn't affect result)
George Wallace/Scoop Jackson

Nelson Rockefeller/Robert Ray

Mark Hatfield/Eugene McCarthy

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 12

Author Topic: 1972 and Beyond: The Collapse of the Nixon Presidency  (Read 3039 times)
Former Senator Haslam2020
Haslam2020
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 30, 2016, 08:40:27 PM »
« edited: June 01, 2016, 11:42:14 AM by Representative-Elect Haslam2020 »

Chapter One:

"And with that, the voting on the FIRST ballot has determined that the outsider, Alabama Governor George Wallace has won the Democratic Nomination for President.  He has indicated his preference for Vice President is Washington Senator "Scoop" Jackson."

"Senator Jackson narrowly won the Vice Presidential nomination with the help of Southern Delegates. Coming in second was Senator McGovern, followed by Representative Chisholm and Governor Carter."

The Democratic Ticket: George Wallace/Henry M. Jackson

"Well... this is how that fateful call went down.."

*call to Wallace Campaign Volunteer in TN*

Anonymous: I got evidence on Nixon.
Volunteer: Excuse me?
Volunteer: Uh, excuse me but may I ask-
Anonymous: Didn't ya hear me boy!?! You, yourself, Sunsphere. 45 minutes.

NOT gonna be banned soon
Golfman76
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2016, 10:01:25 PM »

Lets go Wallace/Jackson '72!
Haslam2020
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2016, 11:55:41 AM »
« Edited: June 01, 2016, 01:18:13 PM by Representative-Elect Haslam2020 »

NIXON,HELMS,AGNEW EXPOSED!!! SABOTAGED 1968 PEACE TALKS FOR POLITICAL GAIN!!!

"The New York Times has received evidence of the President rigging the Election of 1968 in favor of himself! This document proves that a secret, unnamed Nixon campaign official went to North Vietnam in October 1968 to rig peace talks in exchange for a swift withdrawal if Nixon was elected. Richard Helms, the Director of the CIA has also emerged as the organizer of this event, and in a document it was leaked also, that Nixon and Helms also pushed for brainwashing citizens and turning them into assassins. There was a list which included 417 names, and a few had potential targets. RFK slayer Sirhan Sirhan's name was on this list, and Arthur Bremer, interestingly, has been assigned to George Wallace..."

The document hit hard. Nixon went down to a 34% approval rating and the House was sending Articles of Impeachment straight to his desk. Nixon addressed the nation the following night...

"...As many Americans now know... the New York Times printed an extremely disturbing story about my election to this office... Those allegations are completely and utterly false. The American people need to know, their president is not a crook... I am not a crook. I have still come to the conclusion... that I will not be a candidate for Re-election this November..." -President Nixon's address to the nation, July 15th, 1972.

"Look at Nixon, this guy, hes getting off easy for hurting the American people! Because of him, Helms, and hell even Agnew to an extent, thousands of boys died for nothin, so some lowlife liar could be elected to the presidency. The proof is there and oh that reminds me, I've just received word that RNC Chairman George Bush has just asked Nixon to resign... When I'm elected Michigan, Nixon will pay for all he's done!!! Republicans, Democrats, Independents... Let's all unite and let the people take the WHITE HOUSE!!!" -Excerpt of George Wallace speech in Detroit, Michigan.

LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 02:57:11 PM »

If there's no third party I'd be concerned. Both these tickets are bad.

Haslam2020
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2016, 04:01:35 PM »

If there's no third party I'd be concerned. Both these tickets are bad.

Oh, dont worry Wink
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2016, 06:01:44 PM »

Hopefully it's McCarthy, Hatfield, Lindsay, Ford, or Rockefeller. Smiley
Haslam2020
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2016, 07:44:52 PM »
« Edited: June 01, 2016, 07:54:46 PM by Representative-Elect Haslam2020 »

The Republican Candidates:

Nelson Rockefeller:

"I'll save the Republican Party in November. Just you watch, kid." (July 20th, 1972)

LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2016, 07:56:26 PM »

Stassen is a certified creep but I love him all the more for that. STASSEN '72
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2016, 09:24:43 PM »

Why do you think McCarthy, at that point a lifelong Democrat, would have any association with the Party of Nixon? And Lindsay, aside form being an incompetent buffoon and a disaster for the Good People of New York CityTM (RIP, FF), was also a Democrat at that point. Ultimately, Hatfield and Ford are the only remotely moral Republican choices out of that bunch.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2016, 01:08:53 PM »

Why do you think McCarthy, at that point a lifelong Democrat, would have any association with the Party of Nixon? And Lindsay, aside form being an incompetent buffoon and a disaster for the Good People of New York CityTM (RIP, FF), was also a Democrat at that point. Ultimately, Hatfield and Ford are the only remotely moral Republican choices out of that bunch.

I was referring to a potential third party run.
Haslam2020
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2016, 04:39:51 PM »
« Edited: June 04, 2016, 04:43:50 PM by Representative-Elect Haslam2020 »

The Republican National Convention, 1972:

The 1972 Republican National Convention was held in Miami. It was a sh**storm, when Nixon tried to appear, on the first day of the convention, he was denied. He was denied a speaking or even just appearance slot, as his approval rating was now at 24 percent. But of course, the balloting process.... Bob Dole, Senator from Kansas announced his intention to run for President the day before the Convention, and took most Conservative and Southern support with him. The first ballot had a narrow Dole lead, but not a majority. This cased Illinois Senator Charles Percy (who came in a distant third) to endorse Dole. Immediately before the Second ballot began, Rockefeller asked Stassen and McCloskey to support him in exchange for Cabinet positions. Stassen happily took the offer, dropping out and thus gave the Minnesota delegation to Ol' Rocky. McCloskey denied the offer unless Rocky took a hardline position against the Vietnam War. Representative Ashbrook decided to endorse Dole. No candidate won a majority on the Second ballot, too. Rockefeller asked Ford if he was really interested in being Vice President, Jerry Ford answered "Nope.". Rockefeller asked Ronald Reagan to join the ticket, who fiercely denied him. Rockefeller asked Dole, he denied. Robert Ray, the man who put Dole's name into nomination accepted the offer. Bob Dole's strength had been weakened. On the third ballot, Dole went down. Robert Ray narrowly passed the delegates needed to be nominated VP. Following the balloting, Governor Reagan stormed out of the Convention and had a phone call with the Democratic Nominee, George Wallace. He said that Dole had been betrayed and he wanted to make sure that the Northeast Liberals paid for their mistakes. He would endorse Wallace the next day, at a joint rally in California.

Mark Hatfield, Senator from Oregon announced his intention to run for President on a third party ticket. His running mate would be Former Minnesota Senator Eugene McCarthy. The ticket called mainly for peace, and trust.

NBC News National Poll, August 25th, 1972:

George Wallace/Scoop Jackson: 46.1%
Nelson Rockefeller/Robert Ray: 44.3%
Mark Hatfield/Eugene McCarthy: 6.5%

LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2016, 04:43:36 PM »

Hatfield for President '72!
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs