Sending Republicans pro–gay marriage postcards cut their turnout on election day
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:58:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Sending Republicans pro–gay marriage postcards cut their turnout on election day
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Sending Republicans pro–gay marriage postcards cut their turnout on election day  (Read 882 times)
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 31, 2016, 12:48:58 PM »

http://www.vox.com/2016/5/30/11764840/voter-turnout-demobilization-experiment

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I think it's time to show these conservatives what the gay agenda is capable of as we Make America Fabulous Again by saturating mailboxes nationwide with pro-LGBT material!
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 04:36:18 PM »

It was a May primary with no competitive statewide race on the GOP side.  So the main thing most Republicans were turnout out to vote on was on whether to prohibit gay marriage.    On the Democratic side there was a contested governor primary.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 04:56:39 PM »

It sure would remind me to turn out to vote, I tell you what.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 06:28:01 PM »

i don't see how this would work. one assumes a mailing from the opposing side of an election might enflame (no pun intended the recipient to angrily turn out to oppose that message/candidate.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2016, 10:34:32 PM »

It was a May primary with no competitive statewide race on the GOP side.  So the main thing most Republicans were turnout out to vote on was on whether to prohibit gay marriage.    On the Democratic side there was a contested governor primary.

That's a good point. I wonder if this technique could be re-purposed for other divisive issues, though. It doesn't necessarily have to be a social issue, just whatever issue is currently big enough and possibly split along generational lines, as the research showed it was more effective in bigger households:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

So the idea is basically to stir up animosity in voters homes and get people to stay home out of a desire to avoid fights Tongue

🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2016, 04:57:28 AM »

i don't see how this would work. one assumes a mailing from the opposing side of an election might enflame (no pun intended the recipient to angrily turn out to oppose that message/candidate.

People who would get enflamed probably were motivated enough by the issue to come out anyway. 

Some skepticism of any single study like this is warranted though.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2016, 05:52:54 AM »

(Disclaimer: I don't consider myself one of those who cries over the death of democracy) If this actually works, it strikes me as a politically unhealthy way to promote your agenda.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2016, 12:40:54 PM »

(Disclaimer: I don't consider myself one of those who cries over the death of democracy) If this actually works, it strikes me as a politically unhealthy way to promote your agenda.

Yes, I was sort of thinking this myself. Everyone should be informing themselves and participating, and groups trying to one-up each other by driving down turnout for their opposition using psychological tricks is not a good direction to go in. This is why I am so fervently against Republican voter suppression tactics.
dax00

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2016, 12:22:37 AM »

This type of tactic is fine by me, for the same reason I like caucuses.
pho
iheartpho
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -1.39

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2016, 11:09:23 AM »

Most political tactics are psychological hacking; focused group tested everything—specific color schemes to make you think patriotic things, spooky music to make you think bad things about the grey scale man on the screen with the troubling headlines, intellecually hollow catch phrases that sound vaguely like something you should support. I don't see why this is any more offensive. Is it only fair to manipulate your own supporters' psychology?
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2016, 12:09:39 PM »

Most political tactics are psychological hacking; focused group tested everything—specific color schemes to make you think patriotic things, spooky music to make you think bad things about the grey scale man on the screen with the troubling headlines, intellecually hollow catch phrases that sound vaguely like something you should support. I don't see why this is any more offensive. Is it only fair to manipulate your own supporters' psychology?

So where does it end? Do anything to win? Using tricks to get your voters to the polls is one thing, but using tricks to keep your opponent's voters home is another. We shouldn't be trying to reduce turnout / voter participation just to win.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2016, 05:54:16 AM »

So where does it end? Do anything to win? Using tricks to get your voters to the polls is one thing, but using tricks to keep your opponent's voters home is another. We shouldn't be trying to reduce turnout / voter participation just to win.

Plus, modern politics gives voters enough reasons to stay home as it is.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies