Should the UK leave the EU?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:21:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should the UK leave the EU?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ...
Yes (UK)

No (UK)

Yes (non-UK)

No (non-UK)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 80

Author Topic: Should the UK leave the EU?  (Read 2572 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 31, 2016, 02:43:02 PM »

This thread is long overdue.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 05:16:28 PM »

I believe that we should - however, I do not believe that now is the right time to have a referendum on the subject (especially given that the call was a pretty obvious attempt to catch those who want to leave the EU on hop in the wake of his farcical #renegotiation).
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 07:05:25 PM »

No, I think not only does it damage trade with the US, the EU has many important things for the region and I worry without the UK it will turn into another League of Nations situation.
SNJ1985
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.19, S: 7.57

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2016, 01:32:19 PM »

Yes (non-UK)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2016, 01:37:51 PM »

The EU should unite and become one country.

United we stand, divided we fall.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2016, 04:49:03 PM »

The EU should unite and become one country.

United we stand, divided we fall.

Far preferable to the current set-up.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2016, 06:53:31 AM »

I'm hoping that the UK stays in, for two main reasons.

The first is that, if it leaves, it will most likely end up in a situation like Switzerland or Norway (as the EU will still be its main trading partner) where it as to follow EU directives and regulations; allow free movement and contribute to the budget. It will just have no actual say in setting any EU law. So score minus one for democracy.

The second point is that I think every major issue in the modern world, and any hope of resisting against globalisation leading to the destruction of democracy by the markets, needs some form of supranational governments. If countries pull themselves into the their owns silos, they will wind up forced in to the race to the bottom, to cut taxes and regulations and workers rights in order to appease the demands of the "free market"; it is only by agreeing to minimum standards, that they will be able to avoid this.

Likewise, on issues like climate change or tax avoidance, these can only be overcome by countries seeding their own sovereignty. No one country can solve tax avoidance by itself; it will take somewhere with the clout of the EU as a market and a politcal force, to force its own members, the tax havens and the corporations into line.

Basically,our concept of the "Nation State" is outdated,a dn not fit for purpose in the modern world.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2016, 12:19:44 PM »

No (British citizen)

The relationship needs to be renegotiated, and the referendum should provide a mandate to do so, regardless of the result. Withdrawal is the easy way out, but I don't think giving into an "island mentality" is the ideal solution. Europe needs the influence of British liberalism, and Britain definitely needs access to the common market.

Also, I just don't want to see the smug faces of the closeted racists at UKIP if the UK leaves.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2016, 10:23:00 PM »

I am opposed to the European Union, and I support Brexit on the grounds that it would reduce the power of and potentially allow for the elimination of the EU.
Wake Me Up When The Hard Border Ends
Anton Kreitzer
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: 3.11

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2016, 10:37:57 AM »

Yes (non-British) - it would allow the UK to set its own trade agreements, and have full control over making its laws. Plus, the EU, and Eurozone by extension, are a massive failure and terrible idea if you ask me.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2016, 10:41:52 AM »

The first is that, if it leaves, it will most likely end up in a situation like Switzerland or Norway (as the EU will still be its main trading partner) where it as to follow EU directives and regulations; allow free movement and contribute to the budget. It will just have no actual say in setting any EU law. So score minus one for democracy.

^^^

It's kind of amazing that the Remain campaign hasn't made more of this, but they're incompetent morons so...
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2016, 11:33:26 AM »

Why do they need to?  Can't they just be given more autonomy?  And if the UK should leave, then why not other member nations?
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2016, 02:19:44 AM »

No, as an ardent Euroskeptic I believe it is of utmost importance to keep Britain in the EU to weaken it from the inside. Britain's membership might be the only thing saving the union from turning into some sort of terrible United States of Europe. 
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2016, 02:10:55 PM »

No, as an ardent Euroskeptic I believe it is of utmost importance to keep Britain in the EU to weaken it from the inside. Britain's membership might be the only thing saving the union from turning into some sort of terrible United States of Europe. 

The younger generations are far keener on the EU though, so in the long-term that wouldn't be the case.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2016, 12:26:00 PM »

^^^
It's kind of amazing that the Remain campaign hasn't made more of this, but they're incompetent morons so...

In all fairness, it's hard to find the right "scare campaign" balance for all "pro-EU" parties in Europe (too much and you risk a backlash), it's much easier for anti-EU parties, as they rarely have to deal with the consequences of their actions, and if they lose it doesn't mean a whole lot to them, so they can go down into the rabbit hole.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2016, 04:45:32 PM »

Let me put it this way: if Britain leaves the EU, it will create a slippery slope where other nations will begin to contemplate their own exit, which would cause the organization to unravel and collapse from within.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2016, 10:15:47 AM »

I'm hoping that the UK stays in, for two main reasons.
The second point is that I think every major issue in the modern world, and any hope of resisting against globalisation leading to the destruction of democracy by the markets, needs some form of supranational governments. If countries pull themselves into the their owns silos, they will wind up forced in to the race to the bottom, to cut taxes and regulations and workers rights in order to appease the demands of the "free market"; it is only by agreeing to minimum standards, that they will be able to avoid this.

There's little hope with the current state of affairs, but not hope at all if countries encapsulate themselves. If I was Brit, I'd vote "remain".
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2016, 04:08:58 PM »

Let me put it this way: if Britain leaves the EU, it will create a slippery slope where other nations will begin to contemplate their own exit, which would cause the organization to unravel and collapse from within.

Nah. Just as likely that they'll just get further integrated without us putting the brakes on them.
The Last Northerner

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2016, 01:26:06 AM »

The younger generations are far keener on the EU though, so in the long-term that wouldn't be the case.

Exactly. The oppurtunity to leave the EU is now or else the UK Brexiters will fall into the same fate as the Quebec seperatists.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2016, 02:56:27 PM »

Can't they just be given more autonomy?

I don't think you understand the way the EU goes about its business.

Didn't vote.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2016, 11:59:36 AM »

No (non-UK).

The EU is good as an organization that promotes free trade, free movement, a common voice on foreign policy, standardization of laws, environmental protection, cultural preservation, etc. but it shouldn't try and become some kind of United States of Europe.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2016, 02:52:09 PM »

As an American, I want the UK to vote remain because it's important for us to have a strong Pro-American voice in the EU, but on the other hand if I was a British citizen I would be voting Leave.
Human
United States

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2016, 01:23:44 PM »

No (non-UK)
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies