1952 Ike vrs truman
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:12:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  1952 Ike vrs truman
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 1952 Ike vrs truman  (Read 1746 times)
swky_0rn
Rookie
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 01, 2016, 04:03:37 PM »

truman and  Ike  square off in 1952/ who would win .who would they pick as runnignmates?
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2016, 04:46:50 PM »

299: General Dwight Eisenhower(PA)/Former Governor Thomas Dewey(NY) - 51.2%
232: President Harry Truman(MO)/Governor Coke Stevenson(TX) - 47.4%
Others - 1.4%

Truman's dynamic style does very well, but at the only debate on October 31, Truman attacks the "do-nothing Republicans." Ike replies, "Mr. President, these do-nothing Republicans are blamed for everything. I am not one of them. Furthermore, you tried this in 1948. It worked then, and you got a solid Democratic Congress. You did nothing. The American people will not fall for it again. I will admit this economy is my fault a little, though, because I used to vote Democratic." These remarks are considered some of the best in the nation's history of campaigns, and despite Stevenson and Truman heavily campaigning, Eisenhower wins as the front runner he always was.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2016, 05:54:48 PM »

I don't have much problem with your map besides PA and WA, but it's one of the most bizarre myths created in American history was up for grabs politically.  He says, in the book "The President's Club," that his friendship with Truman - in which politics wasn't spoken of, at least on Ike's part - was severely hurt when Eisenhower declined Truman's calls for him to run as a Democrat in 1952 for about the third time, finally saying something to the effect of "you've always just assumed that anyone with a sane mind would be of your political persuasion, but I've been a Republican all my life," even admitting that he had voted for Dewey in 1948.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 05:58:50 PM »

I don't have much problem with your map besides PA and WA, but it's one of the most bizarre myths created in American history was up for grabs politically.  He says, in the book "The President's Club," that his friendship with Truman - in which politics wasn't spoken of, at least on Ike's part - was severely hurt when Eisenhower declined Truman's calls for him to run as a Democrat in 1952 for about the third time, finally saying something to the effect of "you've always just assumed that anyone with a sane mind would be of your political persuasion, but I've been a Republican all my life," even admitting that he had voted for Dewey in 1948.
Yes, but he probably voted Roosevelt/Truman in 1944 and Roosevelt thrice before that.
TaylorFillmore
Rookie
Canada

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2016, 06:23:13 PM »

How does one post a map ?
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2016, 06:26:13 PM »

20 posts + = magic.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2016, 09:48:26 AM »

He would have lost decisively. Just too unpopular. And the southern racists would have gone once again third party.

✓ General Dwight D. Eisenhower (R-NY)/Senator Richard Nixon (R-CA): 442 EVvs.; 54.0%
President Harry S. Truman (D-MO)/Vice President Alben Barkley (D-KY): 40 EVs.; 36.5%
Senator Richard Russell (Dixie-GA)/Senator John Sparkman (Dixie-AL): 49 EVs.; 9.2%
TaylorFillmore
Rookie
Canada

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2016, 05:03:04 PM »
« Edited: June 02, 2016, 05:04:37 PM by TaylorFillmore »

1st Scenario Truman helps the Democratic ticket and nominates Adlai Stevnson as his running mate.  Truman loses the election but by a respectible margin and Stevenson goes on to win the nomination and election in 1956 after Eisenhower retires and Nixon is the nominee.

2nd Scenario : Truman realizes that he will lose the election badly and doubles down on Southern Rhetoric. He picks RL Vice Presidential nominee Alan Sparkman
TaylorFillmore
Rookie
Canada

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2016, 05:13:01 PM »

Results for 1st Scenario

General Dwight Eisenhower (Pennsylvania)/ Senator Richard Nixon (California)  295
President Harry Truman (Missouri)/ Governor Adlai Stevenson (Illinois) 236

Result for 2nd Scenario
General Dwight Eisenhower (Pennsylvania)/  Senator Richard Nixon (California) 492
President Harry Truman (Missouri) / Senator John Sparkman (Alabama) 39
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2016, 06:14:52 PM »

General Dwight D. Eisenhower (PA)/Senator William F. Knowland (CA): 432 EV, 56%
President Harry S. Truman (MO)/Vice President Alben W. Barkley (KY): 106 EV, 41%
Fmr. Governor Strom Thurmond (SC)/Senator Richard Rusell (GA): 0 EV, 3%
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2016, 08:46:37 AM »

The southern states would have never voted for Truman since he was pro civil rights.
TaylorFillmore
Rookie
Canada

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2016, 10:52:20 AM »

Truman would have been preferable to Eisenhower. The deep south voted for a pro civil rights governor from Illinois in RL so would have voted for Truman had he ran. In this case having Sparkman on the ticket would help.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2016, 05:36:04 PM »

I'd vote for Truman in this situation. I like Ike, but I like Harry more. But, I agree with the analysis of others here, Eisenhower wins somewhat comfortably.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2016, 04:38:08 AM »

Of course Truman would be the better choice. Just think of Iran: The CIA operation to overthrow a democraticly elected government was a disaster. It led to the Shah and later to the mullas. Eisenhower approved the coup d'etat at the reuqest of Great Britain because they weren't willing to share oil profits. The years before, President Truman rejected these ideas.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2016, 09:55:48 AM »

The southern states would have never voted for Truman since he was pro civil rights.

Southern states demonstrated multiple times they'd take a pro-civil rights Democrat over a pro-civil rights Republican.  Yes, they would have.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2016, 12:24:16 AM »

Of course Truman would be the better choice. Just think of Iran: The CIA operation to overthrow a democraticly elected government was a disaster. It led to the Shah and later to the mullas. Eisenhower approved the coup d'etat at the reuqest of Great Britain because they weren't willing to share oil profits. The years before, President Truman rejected these ideas.

Yup. Truman, truly, was one of the best Presidents we've had. He's only 2nd to Reagan for me.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2016, 06:18:22 AM »

You are 100% correct. What we did to the Iranian people in 1953 was one of the worst foreign policy blunders in US history. Due to CIA director Allen Dulles manipulating President Eisenhower to sign on to Operation AJAX, Iran went from having a democratic government led by the great Mohammed Mossadegh (who in a way reminded me of Bernie Sanders) to having an authoritarian dictatorship led by the Shah of Iran, who was a brutal mass murderer and one of the most infamous and corrupt world leaders of the 20th Century. According to a 1976 report by Amnesty International, Iran under the Shah had the worlds worst human rights record, lowest level of political freedom, and had over 100,000 political prisoners awaiting torture or execution at any given time.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2016, 09:20:03 AM »

I agree. Truman was one of the best presidents. Ike also had some accomplishments during his tenure, but Iran was certainly his biggest failure. It led to lots of problems, and we still “suffer” from the consequences of that terrible decision today. Of course, he could not foresaw that difficulties with Iran ever since, but it was definitely a major misstep in foreign policy. Likely because he was inexperienced and his foreign policy advisors were all hawks.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2016, 01:10:07 PM »

I know many will disagree, but I feel Eisenhower's entire Middle Eastern policy was disastrous. Even his handling of the Suez Canal Crisis, arguably his best situational handling in foreign policy, was not great and I disagreed with a lot of the decisions made by the U.S.

🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2016, 04:54:29 PM »

The incumbent chooses Gov. Adlai Stevenson for VP, to signal reform against corruption.  Truman wins his home state of Missouri, but he is too unpopular nationally to be competitive, especially against the national hero General Eisenhower.  The nation wants a change.

Eisenhower/Nixon    56.8% 465

Truman/Stevenson   42.5%  66
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2016, 09:16:05 AM »

I know many will disagree, but I feel Eisenhower's entire Middle Eastern policy was disastrous. Even his handling of the Suez Canal Crisis, arguably his best situational handling in foreign policy, was not great and I disagreed with a lot of the decisions made by the U.S.

I agree. A good general doesn’t make a good president in terms of foreign policy.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies