Will Obama declare the Armenian genocide a genocide?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 08:03:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Will Obama declare the Armenian genocide a genocide?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Before he leaves office...
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 52

Author Topic: Will Obama declare the Armenian genocide a genocide?  (Read 2868 times)
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2016, 11:24:01 PM »

Doing so would be leaving a flaming bag of dogsh*t on the doorstep of the incoming president, foreign policy. "Enjoy dealing with that whole ISIS situation now that I've angered a key ally in the region!"

Morally it's the right thing to do, but it would be bad form.

World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2016, 12:31:17 AM »

I understand why Turkey is invested in genocide denialism but I've never gotten why it's so much more frothing-at-the-mouth Kill Bill-sirens obsessed with it than, say, the Abe regime.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2016, 08:04:02 AM »

I'm not really sure why it would be the American President's job to declare historical events in other countries to be genocides.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2016, 03:43:13 PM »

I understand why Turkey is invested in genocide denialism but I've never gotten why it's so much more frothing-at-the-mouth Kill Bill-sirens obsessed with it than, say, the Abe regime.

There's three reason for other countries to have interest in the Armenian genocide; a large Armenian diaspora, a large Turkish/Kurdish diaspora or because of other conflict with Turkey.

In France, Russia and USA as example the interest are caused by the Armenian diaspora. While in Germany it's a mix of push against Turks and Kurds who have a interest in showing Turkey's dirty laundry in public. Of course the fact that many German Kurds have Armenian ancestry or are Yazidi (almost all Turkish Yazidi have emigrated to Germany because of fear of religious percecution) means that they really have a interest in keeping the knowledge of the genocide alive.

Of course the great irony is that if the Turks owned the fact that they commited the genocide, there would be a whole lot less foreign interest in it. But right now the Turks more or less push the Neo-Nazi Holocaust POV on the Armenian Genocide, which is why the subject is so damaging for Turkey.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2016, 03:56:53 PM »

What I'm asking is why Turkey pushes that POV. I understand the rest of it.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2016, 04:02:11 PM »

Edrogen isn't smart enough to understand the Streisand effect.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2016, 01:42:17 AM »

Doing so would be leaving a flaming bag of dogsh*t on the doorstep of the incoming president, foreign policy. "Enjoy dealing with that whole ISIS situation now that I've angered a key ally in the region!"

Morally it's the right thing to do, but it would be bad form.

Sadly, this.

What I'm asking is why Turkey pushes that POV. I understand the rest of it.

It's complicated, but to summarize Turkey's biggest problem, domestically and in foreign policy, is Kurdish separatism. Although a different people and never subject to outright genocide like the Armenians, Turkish treatment of the Kurds has been at times horrific. Admission to wholesale slaughter and long-standing oppression of an ethnic minority that now has it's own nation again can only create moral and diplomatic support for an independent Kurdistan, the nightmare of most non-Kurd Turkish politicians.

Add to that the blind nationalism that many Turks follow, as reflected by Erdogan and his party being in power, and "the base" isn't about to admit such "obviously exaggerated" wrongdoing.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2016, 07:06:40 AM »

There's also the fact that the personal fortunes built on properties confiscated from Greeks and Armenians. So if they recognise the Armenian Genocide, they risk the Armenians demand their properties back and that may inspire Greeks to do the same.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2016, 12:25:31 PM »

Even though he said he would 8 years ago, he still hasn't and will not. If ISIS never showed up he might have.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2016, 01:09:47 PM »

Because Japanese denial is merely a hobby horse of factionalists within the LDP. The Japanese people as a whole don't really care because it doesn't affect their lives. However Turks (rightly or wrongly) feel their nation's territorial integrity is at stake due to seperatists and irredentists. Also Erdogan uses nationalism as a crux - the MHP is his most useful ally in parliament and they are needed to push through his agenda.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2016, 01:27:10 PM »

About as likely as severing all ties with Saudi Arabia.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2016, 06:53:25 PM »

Because Japanese denial is merely a hobby horse of factionalists within the LDP. The Japanese people as a whole don't really care because it doesn't affect their lives.

I understood this part (and it's why I think the whole question of constitutional revision, however it ends up, is way more symbolic, both about the obvious and about the way the Abe regime goes about its business, than it is indicative of how Japan as a whole actually feels about war).

You must be logged in to read this quote.

This was the (horrible, depressing) part I didn't understand. Thanks (and to Badger and ingemann!) for explaining.
Rick Grimes
Rookie

« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2016, 03:46:57 AM »

this would be a good move by obama and i think he wants to do it but no way the racist masons & illiumanti council will let him do it so his hands are tied here. maybe he can sneak it through but he has to outmanuver these people.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2016, 08:04:31 AM »

this would be a good move by obama and i think he wants to do it but no way the racist masons & illiumanti council will let him do it so his hands are tied here. maybe he can sneak it through but he has to outmanuver these people.
ok
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2016, 01:03:42 PM »
« Edited: June 11, 2016, 01:06:59 PM by Simfan34 »

Genocide denial unites both Erdogan's Neo-Ottomanists and Kemalists.

I would rather see him recognize that the Greek city of Constantinople has been under Turkish occupation since 1453. Of course, that's not going to happen either. Wink

Is this some wacky joke or are you seriously pledging support for Golden Dawn policy?

Ethnic cleansing, really.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies