Will Obama declare the Armenian genocide a genocide? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 01:26:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Will Obama declare the Armenian genocide a genocide? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Before he leaves office...
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 52

Author Topic: Will Obama declare the Armenian genocide a genocide?  (Read 2923 times)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: June 08, 2016, 01:42:17 AM »

Doing so would be leaving a flaming bag of dogsh*t on the doorstep of the incoming president, foreign policy. "Enjoy dealing with that whole ISIS situation now that I've angered a key ally in the region!"

Morally it's the right thing to do, but it would be bad form.

Sadly, this.

What I'm asking is why Turkey pushes that POV. I understand the rest of it.

It's complicated, but to summarize Turkey's biggest problem, domestically and in foreign policy, is Kurdish separatism. Although a different people and never subject to outright genocide like the Armenians, Turkish treatment of the Kurds has been at times horrific. Admission to wholesale slaughter and long-standing oppression of an ethnic minority that now has it's own nation again can only create moral and diplomatic support for an independent Kurdistan, the nightmare of most non-Kurd Turkish politicians.

Add to that the blind nationalism that many Turks follow, as reflected by Erdogan and his party being in power, and "the base" isn't about to admit such "obviously exaggerated" wrongdoing.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies