a.scott for Senate [Thank You!]
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 09:05:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  a.scott for Senate [Thank You!]
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: a.scott for Senate [Thank You!]  (Read 3551 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 05, 2016, 01:48:06 PM »
« edited: August 22, 2016, 08:31:26 PM by Senator Scott »

Good afternoon, everyone.

It is an honor for me to return to the game that I so loved.  Fresh-faced as I may seem, I carry a long record of experience and achievements that was built prior to my departure (and subsequent locking out of my account).  Some of you may remember me as Scott.  I had the opportunity to serve in a number of different offices as a resident of, first, the former Northeast Region, and then later, the South.  Along with multiple terms as a regional legislator and Senator, I served a total of four executive terms - two in each region - and for every major initiative I pushed, I was able to do so through building consensus.

I want to do that again, and that's why I'm running for the Assembly of Franklin.

Among the many issues I intend to work on as your Representative, I am particularly interested in the area of healthcare.  As Northeast Senator, I became the sponsor of the bill which revamped our public health care system to be more affordable and sustainable.  Unfortunately, healthcare (as I've been informed) has since been reset upon the adoption of our new Constitution.  While I am disappointed that the debate on healthcare will need to be reset, I also see this as a new opportunity for regions to experiment with their own healthcare models.

Personally, I make no secret that I am a longtime proponent of public healthcare, and I would absolutely like the opportunity to spearhead the healthcare debate in the region of Franklin.  As Emperor of the IDS, I began drafting a plan for the region that incorporated positive elements of both public and private models, to a system comparable to that of Germany - a country which has been among those most successful in their experience with healthcare.  It is this kind of model which I will be a strong advocate for in the Assembly.

I, of course, make no promise that all my proposals will be successful, but I can promise the people of this great region that I will be a consistent voice and leader for progressive values, just as I always have been. Smiley

To that, I welcome any questions about my candidacy or where I stand on the issues.  And I'll be honored to have your vote at the time of the next election.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2016, 01:51:06 PM »

backed 100%.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2016, 01:56:54 PM »

don't even know if we'll have an "assembly" yet, but you certainly have my support
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2016, 02:15:21 PM »

don't even know if we'll have an "assembly" yet, but you certainly have my support
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 3.00, S: -0.41

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2016, 02:37:04 PM »

Endorsed!
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2016, 03:57:10 PM »

Thank you for your support, everyone. Smiley

I probably should have checked if there was an Assembly that exists before deciding to run for it. Tongue
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2016, 12:11:32 PM »
« Edited: June 21, 2016, 08:57:04 PM by a.scott »

As the region comes closer to finalizing and ratifying our new Constitution, I thought now would be a good time to list a few of the bills I intend to introduce if I am elected legislator.  It is my understanding that all previous state laws have been reset, and the states in our region have very different policies on a number of issues.

In my first term, I will work on passing legislation that will:

- Establish universal healthcare that incorporates both public and private insurance
- Ensure a woman's right to choose an abortion up to the 3rd trimester
- Legalize, tax, and regulate marijuana
- Establish a minimum wage of $15
- Strengthen protections for LGBT Northerners
- Re-establish our region's anti-homelessness plan
- Reinstate our tough anti-trafficking laws

My goal will be to constantly have a bill sitting in the docket.  I will be an active legislator, just as I've always been, and I hope to be someone that progressives, as well as Northerners across the political spectrum, can be proud to represent them in the Assembly.

But before this happens, we must have the Constitution ratified.  I believe that the Committee is nearing the process of writing the draft.  I am hopeful that the process will finish soon so that we can vote on it, and soon after, move to the first elections as a region. Cheesy
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2016, 12:37:20 PM »

ENDORSED!
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2016, 12:58:21 PM »

With all due respect, please explain to us why you were locked out of your account.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2016, 01:23:23 PM »

Thank you!!!

With all due respect, please explain to us why you were locked out of your account.

I lost my password and am unable to retrieve it because the email account I used had to be shut down due to security problems.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2016, 01:37:17 PM »

Endorsed.
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2016, 01:42:24 PM »

Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2016, 02:05:03 PM »

Endorsed
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2016, 09:30:05 PM »

Oh my heavens, I didn't realize this was you! Smiley Welcome back - 100% endorsed! Smiley
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2016, 05:51:05 PM »

man, you and me and siren all coming back to atlasia around the same time, though – it's a regular light party reünion! Cheesy
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2016, 08:54:22 PM »

Thanks everyone for the support!

man, you and me and siren all coming back to atlasia around the same time, though – it's a regular light party reünion! Cheesy

Ah yes, the Light Party.  Good times. Grin
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2016, 07:56:31 PM »

Thanks everyone for the support!

Ah yes, the Light Party.  Good times. Grin

Quick somebody find Sjoyce and bring him back too. Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2016, 07:58:40 PM »

So fmr IDS Emperor Scott is "likely" as potential Legislator err (whatever you are calling it) to have as Governor and fellow Assemblymen, two successors as IDS Emperor.

You and the North, have my sympathies. Tongue
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2016, 11:49:36 AM »

Endorsed
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2016, 09:00:33 PM »

Today, I delivered the following remarks at the headquarters for the Medicare Rights Center in New York City

Thank you, everyone.

When I first announced my campaign, I expressed my desire to lead the movement for universal healthcare in the Northern Region.  Indeed, guaranteeing the right to adequate healthcare for all Northerners is, if nothing else, the hallmark of this campaign.  And I am excited to have the opportunity today to unveil a preview of the proposal that is currently being drafted.

First, a little bit of backstory: for several years, Atlasia had in place a completely public healthcare system for its citizens.  The bill that was used to implement this, popularly known as "Fritzcare," passed unanimously in the former unicameral Senate and was subsequently signed into law by then-President Lief.  Although there were certain flaws in the design of the program (which led to a crucial revamp of certain aspects of the law during my time in the Senate), it enjoyed widespread support from all major parties in Atlasia, and was favored by the people it served.

Upon the game reset, however, that law, along with all other legislation which originated in the game, was automatically repealed, leaving us with the healthcare system parallel to the American one that is currently in place.

Dismayed as I was upon learning this, I saw a golden opportunity for the regions to design their own healthcare systems tailored to the needs of their constituents.  And that brings me to why I'm here today.

Access to health care is a basic human right.  It is something that should be afforded to all peoples, regardless of their income or background.  If I am elected as your Representative, I will introduce a public healthcare option to accompany private insurance in the ACA exchanges.  Current law gives us flexibility to directly offer insurance to those living within our borders.

In addition to the public option, my plan will include a $5,000 tax credit for customers to offset out-of-pocket costs that exceed 5% of their income and a $250 monthly cap on prescription drug costs for families and individuals.  No one who is on either public or private insurance will continue to be faced with excessive drug costs, and we will incentivize companies to make the system cheaper and more efficient for consumers.    We'll improve market competition and use our bargaining powers as a region to negotiate for lower prices with the private companies in our region.

Women's healthcare needs will also be protected.  I will oppose any attempt in our region to defund Planned Parenthood and I will push for further investment in women's healthcare, including breast exams and cancer screenings.  And we will use our healthcare system to promote responsible safe-sex education in our schools and remove barriers to obtaining contraceptives.

Simple as this (still in drafting-process) model might sound, I have devoted much of my time to learning and comparing other existing healthcare models around the world, and from that research I have concluded that this is the smartest, best, most cost-effective method of achieving fully universal healthcare for the people in our region.  Of course, there is much time before any legislation can be proposed or enacted.  However, if I am fortunate enough to be your Representative, I shall look forward to having a rigorous discussion in the Assembly when this plan reaches the floor.

Thank you, and as always, I welcome any ideas or questions.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2016, 09:45:55 PM »

Mr ascott, I was just curious if you previously went under another name in Atlasia.

If you would be so kind to clarify, I would appreciate it.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2016, 12:37:54 AM »

One thing 2015 brought me was the alleged demise of the substituting of state avatars for faces. I pray there is not going to be a revival in 2016. Tongue

On a more positive note, I like your healthcare plan's creativity. Particularly if I can bring sexy err RPH (Reforming Public Healthcare Act of 2014) back, baby.  I always wanted to see a Regional Public Option duke it out with a Federal Public Option.

Probably would have if not for your untimely departure and my loss of internet access. Tongue
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2016, 01:01:48 AM »

Oh, I had seen "Ascott" around, but I didn't realize it was the same Scott I knew from why back when. Welcome back! Cheesy
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2016, 09:48:48 PM »

Statement on Northern Capital Location

I have been carefully watching the drafting process of our region's new Constitution.  I was deeply disappointed when the Committee in charge opted to keep our capital city in the former Northeastern capital of New York City.

As much as I love the Big Apple, I believe that now is the time for a change of our capital city, in recognition of the fact that the Northern Region is united with the former Mideast states, rather than merely an extension of the old Northeast.

As such, I propose that the new capital be moved to Detroit, Michigan, a city that would benefit enormously from such a large development project.  It is a location easily accessible to those from both areas of our great region, and adopting it will signify our desire to embrace fresh ideas for this new region.

If I am elected legislator, this shall be a goal that I will pursue.

Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2016, 04:45:01 PM »

I will be making a special announcement later tonight.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies