"Growing fear inside GOP about Trump"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 09, 2024, 10:18:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  "Growing fear inside GOP about Trump"
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: "Growing fear inside GOP about Trump"  (Read 2487 times)
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 3.00, S: -0.41

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 05, 2016, 09:53:02 PM »

From CNN
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Link http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/05/politics/gop-fears-donald-trump-judge-attack/index.html
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2016, 09:54:55 PM »

I have the opposite fear. I fear that he will win, and that he will make this kind of racism acceptable among the majority of white Americans, just as he has done on other issues so far.
indietraveler

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2016, 09:56:16 PM »

The GOP has brought this on themselves. Yes Trump is pushing them off the cliff, but they started moving the train long before he came along.
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2016, 09:57:26 PM »

The flap over Judge Gonzalo Curiel is insanely stupid; Trump continues to be his own worst nightmare.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2016, 09:58:41 PM »

I have the opposite fear. I fear that he will win, and that he will make this kind of racism acceptable among the majority of white Americans, just as he has done on other issues so far.

agreed
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2016, 10:01:13 PM »

Just keep up the attacks, Hillary. Keep exposing Trump for all his weaknesses and don't stop. We'll be OK.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2016, 10:01:39 PM »

Even Senate Majority Leader McConnell could not and did not defend trump on Meet The Press today (Sunday June 5th).
He was asked three times if he thought trump's comment about the judge was racist, and McConnell would not answer the question directly, but did not defend trump at all.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2016, 10:05:01 PM »

Trump must really have something to hide to be attacking so relentlessly.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2016, 10:12:06 PM »

What he has to hide is something that's in plain view already: he's a stupid, bigoted, cowardly bully and liar with no redeeming features whatsoever. TrumpMiller's only hope is to keep everything churning so fast that the general public can never form a clear picture of how awful he really is. Once that happens, he's doomed. (I just hope it does happen before November. Clinton's hammering the other night was a very good sign.)

NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2016, 10:14:47 PM »

The flap over Judge Gonzalo Curiel is insanely stupid; Trump continues to be his own worst nightmare.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2016, 10:28:09 PM »

News Flash ..... this is NOT the only thing trump has done/said that is "insanely stupid."
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2016, 10:36:34 PM »

Republicans are just now realizing Trump's problems?
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2016, 01:19:03 AM »
« Edited: June 06, 2016, 01:25:23 AM by Meclazine »

That's CNN though.

Clinton News Network.

Hillary is just about editing that website.

Story looks like this:

Clinton on Cusp of Clinching Nomination.

Doubts grow over Trump Candidacy.

The whole website is just bogus, orchestrated garbage.
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2016, 03:26:46 AM »

What he has to hide is something that's in plain view already: he's a stupid, bigoted, cowardly bully and liar with no redeeming features whatsoever. TrumpMiller's only hope is to keep everything churning so fast that the general public can never form a clear picture of how awful he really is. Once that happens, he's doomed. (I just hope it does happen before November. Clinton's hammering the other night was a very good sign.)

You guys got so lucky that the GOP nominated Trump. It's like the Indiana Senate race 2012 all over again, just on the national stage. We'll see whether you'll get lucky in 2018 and 2020, too.

Why do Republicans keep saying that after every election? “We only lost because our candidates were so flawed.” Maybe it’s time they came to terms with the fact that the base of their party, which is what chooses your candidates, is crazy and that’s why you end up with flawed candidates along the lines of Trump/Akin/Mourdock/Angle/O’Donnell etc. I mean, nobody is holding a gun to these voters’ heads and making them vote for the crazies; they are turning out and doing it of their own volition. If you think your candidates are so flawed/bad, then you must also think that your base of voters is bad, too, since they keep nominating these loons.

That's the one good thing Democrats do right: we control our crazies better. We know that our candidates along the lines of Alan Grayson are too polarizing to win statewide elections in swing states like Florida. It really is a difference of values: strategic voting vs. sincere voting. However, when Republicans nominate potty trained candidates, you hear those on the far right spouting the same old cliched justification that "we only lost because our candidates were so bad in that they weren't conservative enough." I don't know how many times a day I heard that about the 2008 and 2012 presidential elections. It's not your candidates: it's your voters.

So yeah, you can easily say "wait until the next election," to which I think, "Goodness, I can only imagine the slew of nutty candidates the Republicans will have in 2018/2020/onward given how far Trump has taken the party off the cliff."
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2016, 03:31:24 AM »

Like your posts, then.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2016, 06:03:31 AM »

Yes, he needs to change mode pretty soon.

I'm not sure he's capable of doing that though.
Beezer

Political Matrix
E: 1.61, S: -2.17

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2016, 06:51:32 AM »

What exactly was the "long lasting Goldwater effect", considering that the GOP won 5 of the subsequent 6 presidential elections?
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2016, 07:22:18 AM »

agreed
it has been forever, the stubby-fingered rapist is only bringing it out into the open.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2016, 08:46:37 AM »

He won't win. No way.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2016, 09:18:42 AM »
« Edited: June 06, 2016, 09:20:20 AM by President Griffin »

What exactly was the "long lasting Goldwater effect", considering that the GOP won 5 of the subsequent 6 presidential elections?

Meh, when you really think about it and analyze that era of presidential elections from a perspective of sheer performance and circumstance, it's arguable that there was an effect. How long it lasted and where it ended/other circumstances began is debatable.

1964 was obviously a slaughter.

1968 was barely a GOP win despite the massive unpopularity of Democrats, opposition to the Vietnam War, and the party literally tearing itself apart and rampaging violently throughout the country during that election. Nixon won by 0.7 points.

1972 was a best-case scenario for Republicans due to the public perception over "Mr ECT" and that completely destroyed McGovern (who would have probably lost anyway, but by nowhere nearly as much as he did).

1976 was a GOP loss...to a relatively weak candidate. Of course, Ford had plenty of baggage and the GOP was punished for that and more.

1980 was an economically-crippling period that handed victory to the GOP on a silver platter. Anderson didn't cost Carter re-election but when you combine that plus the damage that Ted Kennedy did to Carter, Reagan's victory wasn't really that impressive when you consider the relative fluidity of the electorate and the extent of problems benefiting the GOP at that time.

I don't think you really get to an election that was impressive in terms of margin and circumstances for the GOP - one that signifies actual dominance of the party, and not just failures of the other party and/or massive one-time advantages for the GOP - until 1984, to be honest. You could even argue 1988 (margin + the lack of incumbency).  
HillOfANight
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2016, 09:31:50 AM »

Money quote $

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Angrie

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2016, 10:38:51 AM »

This is really referring to the complete abandonment of the GOP by African Americans.

The equivalent "Trump effect" here would be the complete abandonment of the GOP by Hispanics.

That would obviously be disastrous for the long term prospects of the GOP, which is why there is... "growing fear inside GOP about Trump"...

Probably a lot of the establishment Republicans who have reconciled themselves to Trump thought that he would at least tone down the anti-Hispanic rhetoric now that he has won the nomination. That he would "pivot." But if he keeps it up, that will not be the case, and he will Kamikazee his own campaign along with the rest of the party.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2016, 10:54:38 AM »

You guys got so lucky that the GOP nominated Trump. It's like the Indiana Senate race 2012 all over again, just on the national stage. We'll see whether you'll get lucky in 2018 and 2020, too.

Why do Republicans keep saying that after every election? “We only lost because our candidates were so flawed.” Maybe it’s time they came to terms with the fact that the base of their party, which is what chooses your candidates, is crazy and
that’s why you end up with flawed candidates along the lines of Trump/Akin/Mourdock/Angle/O’Donnell etc.

Well said.
I love the fact that someone has now seared trump's name to be forever attached to creeps like Mourdock and O'Donnell.

I can see it now ..... a trump TV commercial similar to that of O'Donnell's.
But instead of "I am not a witch," trump's face will be explaining that "I am not a bigot."
LOL.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2016, 11:44:47 AM »

I really don't understand Donald's angle on attacking the judges over their ethnicity. It's almost like he's realized he's in too deep and is trying to throw the election to Hillary.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2016, 12:05:05 PM »

That's CNN though.

Clinton News Network.

Hillary is just about editing that website.

Story looks like this:

Clinton on Cusp of Clinching Nomination.

Doubts grow over Trump Candidacy.

What a queen.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies