Obama to endorse Clinton on Wed?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 12:36:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Obama to endorse Clinton on Wed?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Obama to endorse Clinton on Wed?  (Read 1282 times)
Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 05, 2016, 11:04:24 PM »

https://twitter.com/wxdam/status/739646049808191488

Obama flying to New York Wed for "Democratic Fundraisers". Clinton also in New York after declaring victory Tuesday night.  Coincidence? 
psychprofessor

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2016, 11:05:36 PM »

seems like that's the plan..will be bittersweet to see obama hand off his legacy to clinton after their bruising 2008 primary...can't wait for tues night when hillary clinches.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2016, 11:55:57 PM »

seems like that's the plan..will be bittersweet to see obama hand off his legacy to clinton after their bruising 2008 primary...can't wait for tues night when hillary clinches.

I think it will be absolutely fitting to see these two equals, who have so much respect for each other and who started their public relationship as rivals, finish off as close friends.

Bernie does not even begin to match the calibre of these two giants.
swf541

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2016, 11:59:26 PM »

I think it will be absolutely fitting to see these two equals, who have so much respect for each other and who started their public relationship as rivals, finish off as close friends.

Clinton is no where near the equal to Obama on any level, or at least hasnt proven it yet
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2016, 12:00:34 AM »

Dear Lord.

Anyway, departing from the West Wing-esque fantasy above, an unsurprising development. We'll see what happens.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2016, 12:18:08 AM »

Obama has been chomping at the bit, wanting to jump into the campaign. I hope he finally makes the plunge. It's time for Bernie to face reality. He's only embarrassing himself now.
ucscgaldamez1
Rookie
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2016, 12:27:27 AM »

Do you guys think that Obama knows from Loretta Lynch as to whether an indictment is coming or not? Technically, he shouldn't know because the investigation has not concluded. But do you guys really think he has no idea of what is happening in the background? If he knew that an indictment was coming, why would he endorse her? Do you guys really think he simply has no knowledge one way or another?

I don't think an indictment is forthcoming and I do think Obama would know from Lynch as to whether that is likely or not. What are your thoughts on it and how it affects Obama's decision to endorse or not to endorse and timeframe for endorsement...?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2016, 12:30:28 AM »

Do you guys think that Obama knows from Loretta Lynch as to whether an indictment is coming or not? Technically, he shouldn't know because the investigation has not concluded. But do you guys really think he has no idea of what is happening in the background? If he knew that an indictment was coming, why would he endorse her? Do you guys really think he simply has no knowledge one way or another?

I don't think an indictment is forthcoming and I do think Obama would know from Lynch as to whether that is likely or not. What are your thoughts on it and how it affects Obama's decision to endorse or not to endorse and timeframe for endorsement...?

The FBI director, who is a Republican, has made it clear that the convention is not a deadline to make his decision on whether to recommend indictment.
ucscgaldamez1
Rookie
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2016, 12:32:18 AM »

So you are saying that Obama would simply endorse and let chips fall where they may, regardless of what he may know at this point if anything.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2016, 12:49:27 AM »

The FBI director, who is a Republican, has made it clear that the convention is not a deadline to make his decision on whether to recommend indictment.

If he wants to make his recommendation after the end of Hillary's second term then more power to him.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2016, 04:37:16 AM »

Don't even go there. Bill Clinton and Obama are political giants, Hillary Clinton is a technocrat who rode both of their coattails.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2016, 05:23:17 AM »

Good time for him to endorse, I guess.
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2016, 07:35:46 AM »

Don't even go there. Bill Clinton and Obama are political giants, Hillary Clinton is a technocrat who rode both of their coattails.

Yup. I have yet to hear a strong, specific argument for why Hillary Clinton is considered such an impressive candidate. As Secretary of State, what foreign policy initiative serves to showcase her abilities? As a Senator for the people of New York, what specific legislation highlights the work she did for her constituents? Supporters want to paint the woman as such an awesome champion for women's issues, can anyone cite a specific example? Yes, she can say she's been SoS and First Lady; does the mere fact that she held these positions qualify her to be elected President of the United States?

For reference, here's what the Wikipedia entry says about her time in the Senate:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2016, 07:43:01 AM »

Natch.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2016, 09:58:59 AM »

Hope he will. Drumpf will go wild about it, because he's damn afraid of Mr. President.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2016, 10:24:37 AM »

Probably, and Little Donny should be worried. If Clinton brings Obama on the campaign trail with her (which she should,) he will absolutely butcher Trump.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2016, 10:29:21 AM »

I'm wondering if Obama will wait until Sanders officially and publically concedes.
And when exactly that will be, is yet to be determined.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2016, 10:33:35 AM »

I'm wondering if Obama will wait until Sanders officially and publically concedes.
And when exactly that will be, is yet to be determined.

Not a chance. Obama and the other Democrats have already indulged more than they should Sanders's ego trip.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2016, 11:33:41 AM »

I don't think he'll endorse Wednesday, but they'll definitely meet up and talk.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2016, 11:41:15 AM »

Whether or not Sanders concedes is not a factor, all that matters is the actual delegate numbers. With Obama being in New York on Wednesday, I think he will endorse then.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2016, 12:10:37 PM »

Hillary needs Obama's help ASAP, so he should endorse. It's time for Hillary to cash in that IOU Bill won for her at the 2012 DNC.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2016, 12:51:29 PM »

Yup. I have yet to hear a strong, specific argument for why Hillary Clinton is considered such an impressive candidate. As Secretary of State, what foreign policy initiative serves to showcase her abilities? As a Senator for the people of New York, what specific legislation highlights the work she did for her constituents? Supporters want to paint the woman as such an awesome champion for women's issues, can anyone cite a specific example? Yes, she can say she's been SoS and First Lady; does the mere fact that she held these positions qualify her to be elected President of the United States?

For reference, here's what the Wikipedia entry says about her time in the Senate:

I would argue that many presidents don't fit the criteria as "qualified" based on past achievements. What exactly did Bill Clinton, or George W. Bush, or Obama do beforehand that was so great? Let's just go back all the way to 1960. If we were having this discussion during each presidential election year, would any of them pass the smell test of achievement (I'm legitimately asking)?

However, I will give it to you that she doesn't have some eye-popping achievements or anything, but neither did many other good presidents, no? I think we should look for potential in each candidate and consider that as well.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2016, 01:14:22 PM »

I would argue that many presidents don't fit the criteria as "qualified" based on past achievements. What exactly did Bill Clinton, or George W. Bush, or Obama do beforehand that was so great? Let's just go back all the way to 1960. If we were having this discussion during each presidential election year, would any of them pass the smell test of achievement (I'm legitimately asking)?

However, I will give it to you that she doesn't have some eye-popping achievements or anything, but neither did many other good presidents, no? I think we should look for potential in each candidate and consider that as well.

Beside that, let's remember that >50% of her time in the Senate was under Republican control. It's not terribly surprising that a lot of her co-sponsored legislation didn't wind up passing.
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2016, 02:20:29 PM »

No, you're absolutely right, it's just that so many people seem willing to accept Hillary's version of the narrative. Ronald Reagan and Bill Clinton, these are political personalities that had a connection with the voting public. In the absence of such a connection, Hillary Clinton should be working on reaching out and engaging voters, she should be presenting a case for her ideas. Say what you will about Trump, people can rattle off some of the proposals he's been running on: immigration reform / securing our southern border, improving the job situation by keeping jobs from moving to other countries, and rethinking our role as world policeman / defense provider. What are Hillary's interesting positions? Stay the course? An Obama third term? Promoting "free trade"? No, she'd prefer to tell us how unqualified Trump is and how qualified she is, while failing to get into any specifics about what it is that makes her more "qualified". It's narrative, I understand, but I don't think the narrative is very compelling this cycle, which is the reason I raise the question.

And by the way, I seem to recall the lack of voting record for junior Senator turned candidate Barack Obama in 2008 being looked on as a plus. I feel Clinton is trying to have it both ways -- she wants folks to think that she's this great statesperson with all kinds of experience, but doesn't want to actually have to point out anything she's accomplished...
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies