Obama nominee dies awaiting confirmation
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:48:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Obama nominee dies awaiting confirmation
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Obama nominee dies awaiting confirmation  (Read 1750 times)
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2016, 11:27:10 AM »

This is this saddest thread I've read this week. More srs biznis in the Bahamas
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2016, 03:21:35 PM »

I don't see why my party has to be so asinine to block the position of Ambassador to the Bahamas, but the fact that she was in poor health is a sign that she probably wasn't fit for the appointment anyway.

She didn't have health problems you awful human being. She was diagnosed with leukemia a month ago and died a few days later.
That sounds like health problems to me.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2016, 03:38:04 PM »

I don't see why my party has to be so asinine to block the position of Ambassador to the Bahamas, but the fact that she was in poor health is a sign that she probably wasn't fit for the appointment anyway.

She didn't have health problems you awful human being. She was diagnosed with leukemia a month ago and died a few days later.

So Republican senators were clairvoyants and knew from 2014 that this woman would get sick and die two years later. Maybe they should have warned her, it could have saved her life.

The lengths some people like you will go to defend despicable acts like this just because those responsible have an R next to their names is really nauseating.    
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2016, 05:50:39 PM »

So Republican senators were clairvoyants and knew from 2014 that this woman would get sick and die two years later. Maybe they should have warned her, it could have saved her life.

The lengths some people like you will go to defend despicable acts like this just because those responsible have an R next to their names is really nauseating.    
Uh, I have repeatedly said then and still say now that these people should be given a vote-including Garland-and that the Senate should naturally vote them down, so I don't see what tree you are barking up. Nice try bro.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2016, 05:53:05 PM »

Uh, I have repeatedly said then and still say now that these people should be given a vote-including Garland-and that the Senate should naturally vote them down, so I don't see what tree you are barking up. Nice try bro.

I think I'm pretty clear. And the fact that you support hearings for Garland is irrelevant.
Cotton himself undermines your entire argument. 
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2016, 06:37:10 PM »

Sanchez, the fact that Landslide Lyndon is looking sane in comparison to you should definitely be a reason for you to stop.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2016, 07:42:40 PM »

So Obama nominated a close personal friend to a sensitive diplomatic position and Senate Republicans are the bad guys? K, let's go with that

1. Should presidents never appoint anybody they're personally close to? If so, where would a president start in assembling a team he trusted?

No, but that shouldn't be the only qualification.

2. Explain what's sensitive about our relationship with the Bahamas, because I've never heard that before.

You wouldn't rather America be represented by a professional diplomat in one of her neighboring states?

So Obama nominated a close personal friend to a sensitive diplomatic position and Senate Republicans are the bad guys? K, let's go with that

Just put your blue avatar back up, Vosem, for Christ's sake.

Once Trump loses or dies or something.

Other personal friends who presidents have appointed:

James Baker - George H. W. Bush's Secretary of State had known him for over 30 years and the they became particularly good friends when Bush provided support to Baker as he dealt with the death of his wife and Baker returned the favor by managing Bush's various campaigns

George Herbert Walker, III - George W. Bush's Ambassador to Hungary who happened to be his cousin

...so what?

And just how sensitive a position is the Ambassador to the Bahamas? It has always been a cupcake posting for friends/donors/etc and always will be, no matter what party is in charge. Are you worried Communist Cuba is going to invade The Atlantis Resort?

Erm, it's a poor nation right on our border whose economy is in large part dominated by tourism from the United States, whose main import and export partners are the United States. You don't think they'd rather the American Ambassador be someone who can represent the country rather than a pretty face?

The general practice of appointing donors to ambassadorships, whichever party does it, is a horrible one that needs to diaf. Even if Tom Cotton did this purely out of spite, it's still the right move.

Except that if Democrats blocked Dubya appointing his cousin to go to Hungary, I'm sure you'd be accusing them of playing politics.

I hate the non-professionalism of our diplomatic corps too. We are the only country that sells appointments in such a blatant way. But you know the Republicans didn't specifically block this appointment for that reason. They blocked it because they block anything and everything that THAT ONE tries to do as president, in a way that has never been done to any president of either party before in the history of this country. And if you are unwilling to admit the real reason they did it, the nomination of Donald Trump should be the ugly truth staring you in the face.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies