Would you ever marry someone of the opposite party?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:50:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: ?
Yes (D)

No (D)

Yes (R)

No (R)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 47

Author Topic: Would you ever marry someone of the opposite party?  (Read 1121 times)
RR1997
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 06, 2016, 06:45:15 PM »
« edited: June 06, 2016, 06:50:16 PM by RR1997 »

I was reading an article on Bloomberg View (it's an interesting article and I recommend reading the whole thing), when I came across this interesting paragraph:

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2016-04-30/here-s-your-degree-now-go-defeat-demagogues

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

I find it amazing that 1/3 of Democrats and 1/2 of Republicans would never marry someone of the opposite party. People are so partisan now a days. I hate it how narrow-minded people are. I don't doubt this statistic whatsoever. Most people I know are very narrow-minded, so it's not surprising.

Of course I would (R)
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 06:47:29 PM »

Yes (rational, and open-minded).
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 06:50:07 PM »

I've always said I would 95% never marry a Pub if I had to marry, but I guess there's always a chance.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2016, 06:51:22 PM »

I don't think Democrats believe in straight marriage.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2016, 07:01:31 PM »

Yes (Not Stupid)
tallguy23
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2016, 07:04:10 PM »

Of course. If anything, the fiery disagreements would lead to better sex.
Wake Me Up When The Hard Border Ends
Anton Kreitzer
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: 3.11

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2016, 07:12:53 PM »
« Edited: June 06, 2016, 07:14:55 PM by Anton Kreitzer »

Yes (while conservative R, considers other aspects in a woman besides her politics)

In my family, one of my dad's brothers, who votes Tory, has been married to a Labour-voting woman for over 30 years  (they live in Wales), and they're still going strong.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2016, 07:18:12 PM »

No way- not only would I fight nonstop with a Democrat girl, but she wouldn't share my values in life either.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2016, 07:53:08 PM »

I could see somebody who shares my values but prioritizes them differently coming out in aggregate right-wing, so yes.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2016, 07:57:41 PM »

Voted yes, but engaged and not following through...

Would depend on what flavor of GOP. Probably would never marry Establishment, though given the circles I run in would be group I get most exposure to.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2016, 08:00:53 PM »

The chances of me finding someone who'd fit, say, my ideal criteria (intelligent, educated, attractive, athletic, nominally Catholic, etc.) plus being a Republican (something I myself am nowhere near wholly devoted to) is absurd. I'll take what I can get.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2016, 08:06:12 PM »

Probably not, for the same reason I, most of the time, wouldn't marry someone with different religious beliefs.

I'm friends with people of all political and religious beliefs and get along with everyone.

But when you marry someone, you have to have VERY similar values - you are planning long-term for a life together, and possibly also raising children, so you to have the same goals, priorities, wants, philosophies.  Not to mention you are going to spend more hours with this person than anyone else in your life, so you BETTER get along/see eye-to-eye most of the time.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2016, 08:12:29 PM »

In a way, I am. Ideologically I think we are nearly the same, it's just our opinions of the two parties that differ. However, as much as she hates Hillary, it sounds like she will definitely not vote for trump, thank god.
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2016, 08:20:09 PM »

Of course! Love > Politics (> Everything Else)
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2016, 08:22:29 PM »

Yes (not crazy), partisan politics isn't something that should be factored into a marriage.

My future spouse, if I ever have one, would have to be a good person and share my outlook religion-wise and that's about it.

I do have my limitations politically, though. No far-left or far-right crazies.

RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2016, 08:27:10 PM »

I think it also depends on the type of political views, too.

For instance, I could of course marry someone who thought open market exchanges were a preferable healthcare solution to single-payer, or someone who thought that Libya was justified, or has a different stance on abortion.

But I'm categorically not marrying some lady who thinks that gay people are sick, disgusting sinners - because that's just a very incompatible worldview.  I'm categorically not marrying someone who thinks black people are lazy, low-character whiners and that racism doesn't exist.  I'm categorically not marrying some ayn randian lady who thinks poor people deserve to suffer because they are weak.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2016, 08:36:44 PM »

There are certain sub-political views (children, monogamy, fidelity, etc.) that might be manifested at the political level, and obviously it would be expected that those would line up to an extent. I wouldn't be too keen on calling my significant other someone who felt the need to rant about the patriarchy during every interaction, or who didn't believe int he sanctity of a relationship, or who was unbearably racist. But I don't give an eff if you voted for Obama or Romney.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2016, 09:01:41 PM »

Sure, why not?
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2016, 09:17:20 PM »

For instance, I could of course marry someone who thought open market exchanges were a preferable healthcare solution to single-payer, or someone who thought that Libya was justified, or has a different stance on abortion.

But I'm categorically not marrying some lady who thinks that gay people are sick, disgusting sinners - because that's just a very incompatible worldview.  I'm categorically not marrying someone who thinks black people are lazy, low-character whiners and that racism doesn't exist.  I'm categorically not marrying some ayn randian lady who thinks poor people deserve to suffer because they are weak.

That seems to be the best way to look at this. I don't dislike the Republican party just because, I just disagree with so many of their positions and more recently, tactics and behavior. Let's not forget all the Republicans out there who diverge with their party on so many issues that they might as well be called Democrats - Kind of like a bunch of Santanders, but in reverse!

I think if we could find some symmetry on policy, particularly ones dear to me (civil rights & campaign finance reform, for instance), I wouldn't care much at all. However, we would need to agree on social issues though, seeing as so many of them are very important to me, and not just in a SJW way. They directly affect me.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2016, 09:22:44 PM »

Why the hell not?
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2016, 10:16:16 PM »

Yes, not just for the obvious reasons (you can't stop love, man), but also because I intend to marry a Mormon woman, and there's mighty few Democratic Mormon women out there.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2016, 10:35:39 PM »

Yeah, I actually find it attractive
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2016, 12:29:25 AM »

Yeah sure.  She would obviously have to support gay rights and maybe a few other things.  Let's just say she'd have to be more of the Olympia Snowe/Susan Collins type and less of the Michelle Bachmann/Sarah Palin type.

Also, I think there's a difference between being a party member and being an activist.  I don't think I could bear my SO actively fighting against things that are really important to me.  If she's just one vote among millions, then it's different.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2016, 05:38:57 AM »

But I'm categorically not marrying some lady who thinks that gay people are sick, disgusting sinners - because that's just a very incompatible worldview.  I'm categorically not marrying someone who thinks black people are lazy, low-character whiners and that racism doesn't exist.  I'm categorically not marrying some ayn randian lady who thinks poor people deserve to suffer because they are weak.

Essentially this.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2016, 07:35:34 AM »

I would actually probably never marry someone from my own party, so yes. (not necessarily out of principle, but from past experience)
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies