Opinion of the Nation of Islam
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:20:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Opinion of the Nation of Islam
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Opinion of the Nation of Islam
Freedom Organization

Horrible Organization

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 42

Author Topic: Opinion of the Nation of Islam  (Read 2312 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 06, 2016, 11:37:07 PM »

Obviously it's a Horrible Organization, and arguably a terrorist organization since its murdered people before (like Malcolm X) and I'd probably hate it even more if I were Muslim since it's even further from actual Islam as Mormonism is from Christianity.

It's a good thing Muhammad Ali had the sense to wake up and leave that vile cult.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 11:49:47 PM »

Absolutely awful. Are unpleasant aspects, sects, and outgrowths of Islam a new BRTD Obsession?
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2016, 07:18:30 AM »

Absolutely awful. Are unpleasant aspects, sects, and outgrowths of Islam a new BRTD Obsession?

I usual don't defend Islam, but in this case I will do so, the Nation of Islam have nothing to do with Islam, it's a just Black Nationalist version of New Age bullsh**t, where a group of westerners steal religious teachings of a exotic religion and used it outside the context it was born in.
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2016, 03:26:28 PM »

Horrible organization, black supremacist and anti-Semitic and a completely batsh**t theology. That said I can understand what motivated a lot of African-Americans to join it in the 50s and 60s given the historical context but that doesn't change the fact that Farrakhan himself is a racist scumbag.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2016, 07:01:05 PM »

I usual don't defend Islam, but in this case I will do so, the Nation of Islam have nothing to do with Islam, it's a just Black Nationalist version of New Age bullsh**t, where a group of westerners steal religious teachings of a exotic religion and used it outside the context it was born in.

You're right. 'Outgrowth of Islam' was a really bad way to describe it.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2016, 08:05:28 PM »

Even ignoring how they are racist, their theology is historically inaccurate, transparently made up BS.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2016, 02:35:45 PM »

HO, utter garbage in theology. However their effect on history, if that was the only thing to judge them by, would put them in very lean FO territory.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2016, 08:49:43 PM »

They're a black supremacist group using a twisted and warped interpretation of my faith to further their own goals.

There's a reason why Mainstream Islam has condemned them and shunned them.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2016, 12:25:12 AM »

Louis Farrakhan frequently happens to be on the same side as me on some major issues, which makes me uncomfortable. We'll be thinking the same thing (of course from radically different perspectives) and some in the Liberty Movement have sought to reach out to the Nation of Islam as an ally. Ironically, most of those types tend to be the white nationalists who tried to hijack the movement (they now have ditched it for the Alt-Right) and you would suspect that they'd have nothing to do with one another.

Then again, George Lincoln Rockwell was invited to address them, so it makes sense I guess.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2016, 12:52:17 AM »

Horrible.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2016, 01:05:48 AM »

It was always a group with toxic theology and discriminatory views; it officially became a joke religion when it started embracing Scientology.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2016, 09:00:40 AM »

I'm not sure that can be even considered Muslims in a proper sense.

The idea of Wallace Fard Muhammad being "God in Person" or the "Messiah" goes deeply against the principle of Muhammad being the "Seal of the Prophets".

And Farrakhan encouraging the members to study "Dianetics" is just plain WTF.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2016, 03:41:18 PM »

Played a valuable role in bringing many Americans to Islam, particularly under W. D. Muhammad.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2016, 06:28:06 PM »

Played a valuable role in bringing many Americans to Islam, particularly under W. D. Muhammad.

But W. D. Muhammad led the NoI for a mere year, before leaving (with many members) to founding more mainline American Society of Muslims which should be credited for bringing many Americans to Islam instead of NoI.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2016, 09:14:31 PM »

As an aside, the intersection between African-American culture and Islam has never made much sense to me. What draws black nationalists to it?
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2016, 06:23:44 PM »

As an aside, the intersection between African-American culture and Islam has never made much sense to me. What draws black nationalists to it?

The fact that they've never heard of the Arab slave trade, I'm guessing.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2016, 08:54:11 AM »

In my opinion, it's the same reason that when some hick Baptist grow up and rebel, they becomes obnoxious atheists (the vast majority of atheist are non-obnoxious, but atheists who have grown up in very religious homes tend to be very obnoxious). It's a rebellion, but while the hick Baptist rebel against his family and community, African American rebel against western culture. Here is Islam a very good choice. Islam have always been the Other, Muslims are the only group who have ever really been a potential existential threat toward Christianity and Western culture, in fact Western culture have been created in opposition to Islam after the areas where a majority of Christians lived had been conquered by Muslims.

There's also the fact that Islam was a widespread religion in Africa and several groups which African Americans (and White American) in the past saw as Black (Egyptian and other North African people) practiced the religion.

MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2016, 10:11:36 AM »

The fact that they've never heard of the Arab slave trade, I'm guessing.

I find, in this context, quite amusing that Saudi Arabia did not abolish (Black in a significant part) slavery until the 60s., when the NoI was building up and several prominent figures within the movement were undertaking a pilgrimage to Mecca.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies