What factors make someone more likely to abandon ethnoreligious identity?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:05:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  What factors make someone more likely to abandon ethnoreligious identity?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What factors make someone more likely to abandon ethnoreligious identity?  (Read 859 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 07, 2016, 09:08:43 AM »
« edited: June 07, 2016, 09:15:56 AM by L'exquisite Douleur »

I just recently posted on AAD that the vocalist of a band I like, Being as an Ocean, has an Italian last name, even though I've heard he goes to a hipster Christian church in San Diego, meaning he could also serve along with Guy Picciotto as an example of an Italian-American who isn't Catholic and clearly doesn't care too much about culture in this sense. I've also mentioned before that the lead pastor of my church is from an Irish Catholic family in Northeast Philly. Now I know that many arguing against me have said that I'm strawmanning in claiming to try to counter-prove that no one ever leaves the Catholic church, especially in the modern day US, but even if so it does bring up an interesting question: Even if it's just that these people are a pretty standout exception, why are these people the exception? Like what about them or their status or place in life makes them more likely to not be bound to their culture and leave? It's an interesting thought actually.

And of course Atlas itself has multiple atheist ethnic Jews who don't even claim to be Jewish in any non-ethnic way anymore...but then again what makes them the one who do this?

I'm actually legitimately trying to understand this because as I've said, this is a very foreign concept to me, and one that doesn't really exist where I grew up.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2016, 12:02:56 PM »

And of course Atlas itself has multiple atheist ethnic Jews who don't even claim to be Jewish in any non-ethnic way anymore...but then again what makes them the one who do this?

I think this is part of our misunderstanding. We are saying it is part of ethnicity in effect. Not that they are part of some religion or something. But I'm not getting into this for the 273rd time.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2016, 10:16:25 AM »

Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2016, 07:01:30 PM »

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies