"GOP mulls convention challenge to Trump" LATEST: unbinding voted down in cmte
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:34:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  "GOP mulls convention challenge to Trump" LATEST: unbinding voted down in cmte
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6
Author Topic: "GOP mulls convention challenge to Trump" LATEST: unbinding voted down in cmte  (Read 9510 times)
Seriously?
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2016, 05:08:09 PM »

It wouldn't end well for the GOP. Even if they just concede the presidential race, such a chaos, culminating with trouncing the presumptive nominee, would hurt them in downballot races.

Sometimes you have to put the country before party.  I'm ok with conceding the Presidential election in this circumstance.

I'm not and you will lose folks like me forever if this kind of Democrat-like rule breaking is allowed to occur. Trump is the nominee. Period. Too bad, RINO Flake.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2016, 05:10:59 PM »

It wouldn't end well for the GOP. Even if they just concede the presidential race, such a chaos, culminating with trouncing the presumptive nominee, would hurt them in downballot races.

Sometimes you have to put the country before party.  I'm ok with conceding the Presidential election in this circumstance.

I'm not and you will lose folks like me forever if this kind of Democrat-like rule breaking is allowed to occur. Trump is the nominee. Period. Too bad, RINO Flake.

I'm ok with that, buh-bye!
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2016, 05:11:36 PM »

Political parties need to make decisions that attract voters. The Republican Party has made a choice that has repelled me (and Green Line). I guess true Republicans like you will need to make decisions that appeal to RINOs like us if you don't want to live in a country governed by Democrats in perpetuity.

The Republican Party is no CPSU. We have no obligation to do what it says. Neither do its Senators, thankfully.
Seriously?
United States

« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2016, 06:00:19 PM »

Political parties need to make decisions that attract voters. The Republican Party has made a choice that has repelled me (and Green Line). I guess true Republicans like you will need to make decisions that appeal to RINOs like us if you don't want to live in a country governed by Democrats in perpetuity.

The Republican Party is no CPSU. We have no obligation to do what it says. Neither do its Senators, thankfully.
The voters, including myself, enthusiastically voted for Trump. For the party elite to tell the voters that they don't matter will destroy the party. You'd never get voters like me back in the fold to vote for another uninspiring RINO like Mitt Romney.

And if the party chooses to act like crooked Democrats, they will reap what they sow, a crooked Democrat as POTUS.
Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2016, 06:36:11 PM »

I would respect a Republican who took this stance.  I have little respect for those who trash Trump, but say they're voting for him because Hillary is so bad.  That's ridiculous on its face.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2016, 12:12:59 AM »

*bump*

Erick Erickson claims that only ~25% of the people on the Rules Committee are with Trump, and that if Trump can’t avoid embarrassing himself (meaning another Curiel-like PR disaster) in the next couple of weeks, then there’ll be a convention coup that could lead to Scott Walker being the nominee(!):

http://theresurgent.com/the-next-two-weeks-either-trump-or-unexpected-redemption-led-by-wisconsin/

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The NYT though suggests that Trump has the backing of about half the members of the rules committee:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/10/us/politics/donald-trump-republicans.html?smid=tw-share&_r=1

Higgs

Political Matrix
E: 6.14, S: -4.17

« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2016, 12:21:04 AM »

I would respect a Republican who took this stance.  I have little respect for those who trash Trump, but say they're voting for him because Hillary is so bad.  That's ridiculous on its face.

It's ridiculous to believe there's a lesser of two evils?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2016, 11:16:27 AM »

"Trump os literally Hitler and would destroy the economy and ruin foreign policy and commit war crimes unlike any other president and cause the us to default and start a worldwide depression and risk the end of gloval capitalism. He is insane, crazy, racist, a bully, evil, mad, crass and the worst person ever . Still voting for him though, Hillary has emails"

Average NeverTrump
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2016, 11:18:04 AM »

"Trump os literally Hitler and would destroy the economy and ruin foreign policy and commit war crimes unlike any other president and cause the us to default and start a worldwide depression and risk the end of gloval capitalism. He is insane, crazy, racist, a bully, evil, mad, crass and the worst person ever . Still voting for him though, Hillary has emails"

Average NeverTrump

The average NeverTrump is someone who isn't NeverTrump?  Tongue
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2016, 11:31:26 AM »

"Never"trump
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2016, 11:37:03 AM »

Yeah, as if overturning the will of GOP voters will allow them to win. First off, their voters would practically revolt - The final proof that the establishment is only in this for themselves and screws them every chance they get. They will see this as the establishment taking their chance at "winning" and flushing it because it may hurt their corrupt agenda.

Second, whoever they nominate will not only suffer from a severely split party and widespread resentment, but they start off with a significant disadvantage in cash and field infrastructure. They basically start out with nothing, except maybe a Super PAC filled with tens of millions of dollars from desperate billionaires. That won't be as helpful as one would like to think, seeing as the candidate would be just starting out with little time to catch up.

Terrible idea. If they wanted an alternative, they should have worked something out much earlier.

Trump never won the majority of Republican primary voters, not even close.  The voters won't revolt (at least most of them wont), they're only going along with Trump now because he's the presumptive nominee.

Trump won with ~40% of the vote, which is the same percentage that Goldwater, Nixon, Mccain and Romney had.

Romney and McCain had around 50%. 
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2016, 02:11:05 PM »

Yeah, as if overturning the will of GOP voters will allow them to win. First off, their voters would practically revolt - The final proof that the establishment is only in this for themselves and screws them every chance they get. They will see this as the establishment taking their chance at "winning" and flushing it because it may hurt their corrupt agenda.

Second, whoever they nominate will not only suffer from a severely split party and widespread resentment, but they start off with a significant disadvantage in cash and field infrastructure. They basically start out with nothing, except maybe a Super PAC filled with tens of millions of dollars from desperate billionaires. That won't be as helpful as one would like to think, seeing as the candidate would be just starting out with little time to catch up.

Terrible idea. If they wanted an alternative, they should have worked something out much earlier.

Trump never won the majority of Republican primary voters, not even close.  The voters won't revolt (at least most of them wont), they're only going along with Trump now because he's the presumptive nominee.

Trump won with ~40% of the vote, which is the same percentage that Goldwater, Nixon, Mccain and Romney had.

Romney and McCain had around 50%. 

But they didn't have to knock out the most divided field in presidential election history. And TRUMP got more votes in total than any previous nominee. Over 13.5 million (almost 45%).
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2016, 02:31:46 PM »

Sound like a lose - lose situation all around.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2016, 03:03:23 PM »

*bump*

Erick Erickson claims that only ~25% of the people on the Rules Committee are with Trump, and that if Trump can’t avoid embarrassing himself (meaning another Curiel-like PR disaster) in the next couple of weeks, then there’ll be a convention coup that could lead to Scott Walker being the nominee(!):

http://theresurgent.com/the-next-two-weeks-either-trump-or-unexpected-redemption-led-by-wisconsin/

The NYT though suggests that Trump has the backing of about half the members of the rules committee:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/10/us/politics/donald-trump-republicans.html?smid=tw-share&_r=1

At least if this happened my predictions in 2013 about a Clinton v. Walker race would look prescient. Tongue
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2016, 03:17:58 PM »

I don't understand why Walker would be their pick after what he did in Wisconsin regarding his campaign finance issues. He and his Republican friends quickly & quietly disbanded the state GAB and replaced it with a partisan board for no good, legitimate reason. At the same time, he also quietly signed a bill loosening campaign finance restrictions. And iirc, there were also concerns about his State Supreme Court appointment(s). He could also be hit for helping rig the state maps in the last round of redistricting. This would be more potent if the current lawsuit against these rigged maps succeeds. Their trial wrapped up a week or two ago and the plaintiffs did make a good case.

Point is, if they plan to toss in a candidate at the last minute - One who will have little time to build up a viable campaign, Walker doesn't seem like the best option. Painting him as corrupt doesn't seem like it would be that hard.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2016, 03:29:11 PM »

I don't understand why Walker would be their pick after what he did in Wisconsin regarding his campaign finance issues. He and his Republican friends quickly & quietly disbanded the state GAB and replaced it with a partisan board for no good, legitimate reason. At the same time, he also quietly signed a bill loosening campaign finance restrictions. And iirc, there were also concerns about his State Supreme Court appointment(s). He could also be hit for helping rig the state maps in the last round of redistricting. This would be more potent if the current lawsuit against these rigged maps succeeds. Their trial wrapped up a week or two ago and the plaintiffs did make a good case.

Point is, if they plan to toss in a candidate at the last minute - One who will have little time to build up a viable campaign, Walker doesn't seem like the best option. Painting him as corrupt doesn't seem like it would be that hard.

Not to mention he completely flamed out of the race about 4 months before it even started
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2016, 03:53:51 PM »

Well, it is stupid provided one is very certain that Trump will lose in the General. If there is any material chance at all that he might win, then one tries to derail the man in any legal way possible for the good of the country, no matter what the consequences to the Pub party. As they say, one puts country over party, always.
Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2016, 07:25:48 PM »

You're kidding yourself.

Other than two-person races and incumbent Presidents, it's rare when any candidate gets a majority of the primary vote.  Trump got FAR MORE of the vote than any other candidate. 
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2016, 08:27:38 PM »

Other than two-person races and incumbent Presidents, it's rare when any candidate gets a majority of the primary vote.  Trump got FAR MORE of the vote than any other candidate. 

Every Republican presidential contest in the modern era has seen the winner get a majority of the primary vote except McCain 2008 and Trump 2016.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2016, 08:39:18 PM »

Furthermore, every successful GOP candidate has gotten 60 percent or more of the primary electorate. Trump's record lows suggest a Hillaryslide in the fall.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2016, 08:42:57 PM »

And when the Trumptanic sinks you'll go down with him. Good riddance!
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2016, 08:49:05 PM »

Good. The Russian mole must be stopped, if you consider yourself a patriot.
Joe Biden is your president. Deal with it.
diskymike44

« Reply #47 on: June 16, 2016, 05:42:07 PM »

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/16/politics/donald-trump-republican-anxiety/index.html

If they succeed in throwing him overboard, who will take his place? Ted Cruz?
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2016, 05:46:16 PM »

Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2016, 05:47:38 PM »

Ain't happnin'.

A fairy tale.

A pipe dream.

Wishful thinkin' by some.

Trump has won the nomination.  He will get the nomination.

Get on with it, and Republicans, brace yourself for a big loss in November.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies