"GOP mulls convention challenge to Trump" LATEST: unbinding voted down in cmte (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:32:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  "GOP mulls convention challenge to Trump" LATEST: unbinding voted down in cmte (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: "GOP mulls convention challenge to Trump" LATEST: unbinding voted down in cmte  (Read 9583 times)
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: June 07, 2016, 01:54:40 PM »

Yeah, as if overturning the will of GOP voters will allow them to win. First off, their voters would practically revolt - The final proof that the establishment is only in this for themselves and screws them every chance they get. They will see this as the establishment taking their chance at "winning" and flushing it because it may hurt their corrupt agenda.

Second, whoever they nominate will not only suffer from a severely split party and widespread resentment, but they start off with a significant disadvantage in cash and field infrastructure. They basically start out with nothing, except maybe a Super PAC filled with tens of millions of dollars from desperate billionaires. That won't be as helpful as one would like to think, seeing as the candidate would be just starting out with little time to catch up.

Terrible idea. If they wanted an alternative, they should have worked something out much earlier.

Trump never won the majority of Republican primary voters, not even close.  The voters won't revolt (at least most of them wont), they're only going along with Trump now because he's the presumptive nominee.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2016, 02:15:04 PM »
« Edited: June 07, 2016, 02:26:35 PM by Green Line »

Trump never won the majority of Republican primary voters, not even close.  The voters won't revolt (at least most of them wont), they're only going along with Trump now because he's the presumptive nominee.

It doesn't even take a majority, though. Even say, a 10% reduction in support due to such a mess would doom Republicans in November - Quite substantially at that. There are enough true Trump supporters to make such a situation likely, imo.

However this is just a hypothetical, but I think it would be wrong to say there would be no significant negative effects if the GOP stole his nomination.

A lot of the Trumpets would turn out regardless due to their dislike of Hillary, and I'm willing to bet that slotting in a competent Republican would more than make up the lost Republicans by dominating with independents.  Look how badly Hillary does with them against Trump.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2016, 03:10:26 PM »

Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2016, 03:12:52 PM »

It wouldn't end well for the GOP. Even if they just concede the presidential race, such a chaos, culminating with trouncing the presumptive nominee, would hurt them in downballot races.

Sometimes you have to put the country before party.  I'm ok with conceding the Presidential election in this circumstance.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2016, 03:17:08 PM »

It wouldn't end well for the GOP. Even if they just concede the presidential race, such a chaos, culminating with trouncing the presumptive nominee, would hurt them in downballot races.

Sometimes you have to put the country before party.  I'm ok with conceding the Presidential election in this circumstance.

Hopefully President Clinton's first action is banning this despicable party in that case. Country before party after all.

Conceding 1 election vs conceding the next 20 years due to how badly Trump will damage our brand.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2016, 05:10:59 PM »

I'm not and you will lose folks like me forever if this kind of Democrat-like rule breaking is allowed to occur. Trump is the nominee. Period. Too bad, RINO Flake.

I'm ok with that, buh-bye!
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2016, 05:23:22 PM »

I'd love a Walker convention coup.  It's not going to happen, but it would be great. 

I hate Scott Walker with every fiber of my being.  He has poisoned the Badger State for me, forever.

Wow.  Get a life!
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies