CNN/Nyman Weekly Northern Senatorial Debate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:11:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: CNN/Nyman Weekly Northern Senatorial Debate  (Read 514 times)
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 08, 2016, 05:38:40 PM »

Moderator Jake Tapper preparing to host the debate.

Good evening, Northerners. Tonight, we have with us Northeast Senator Blair and Game Moderator Enduro -- the two candidates for the North's Class I Senate seat. The race for a seat in the heavily Laborite region has been heated, with Blair accusing Enduro of extremism and the latter calling the former out for twisting his words.

Due to limited time, the debate will consist of two 24-hour rounds -- questions, and rebuttals. Candidates, please post responses to the following questions within 24 hours.

1. (For Both Candidates) Enduro has proposed abolishing the minimum wage, while Senator Blair has proposed raising it. Candidates, why is your proposal correct? Why is the other candidate's proposal wrong for the North?

2. (For Enduro) Enduro, Senator Blair has proposed implementing a Medicare-for-all system in Atlasia, similar to the system in Australia, in order to ensure medical coverage for all Atlasians. What would you do to reform the healthcare system?

3. (For Blair) Enduro has charged that you want to centralize Governmental authority to the Fed, a charge that you have refuted. Do you consider yourself a Regionalist? Why, or why not?

4. (For Both Candidates) The issue of transgender peoples' bathroom use has become a point of contention recently. Do you support transgender peoples' usage of the bathroom of their choice? What is the Government's role in this?
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2016, 06:40:22 PM »

Firstly I'd like to thank Ted for hosting this at such short notice- it's much appreciated and the poor folks who organize these events don't get enough credit. I'd also like to thank Enduro for taking part as well-it's been good that we've been able to exchange views throughout this election, and keep the flame of competition alive.

Enduro has proposed abolishing the minimum wage, while Senator Blair has proposed raising it. Candidates, why is your proposal correct? Why is the other candidate's proposal wrong for the North?

Well firstly let's establish that we're going to inherent a bad situation with the 4th Constitution, as the legislative reset means that we're going to lose a lot of good, and bi-partisan legislation that helped workers. I mean I'd firstly say that Senator Yankee, who's hardly a devout leftist by any measure supported raising the minimum wage in the 'Set it and leave it alone Act'. We can have debates about how much to raise the minimum wage, how to help small businesses and how to understand regional differences- I'm more than happy to meet with my fellow Senators with a common sense approach to this.  Frankly however, Enduro proposal is one of the most extreme economic policies that I've seen put forward by any opponent in any election I've faced.

Now I'll make the case for my own proposal first, because frankly I think the hard earned workers of Atlasia need a raise. Under my plan to raise the minimum wage to $12.50 by 2020 over 35 million workers would be better off. This would bring a tidal wave of economic growth to our economy, and give workers safety, security and comfort in the work place. As I said with my proposal I'd also allow the regions and states to set their own rates higher- as I hope the North would in certain cities where the cost of living has skyrocketed. I'd also with my own plan introduce a tax relief for small businesses- the independent coffee shop, the bookstore down the road or the independent startup that has just launched.

Now Enduro's proposal isn't just wrong for the Northeast- it's wrong for Atlasia. As I've said before on this campaign the big problem with Enduro's approach is firstly it's not grounded in facts. Let's have a look at what Enduro said about abolishing the minimum wage

It is a terrible policy that doesn't help the economy at all.

False

+Numerous academic journals have argued that increasing the minimum wage helps boost the economy 

+ It would also lead to a lowering in the amount spend of welfare

You must be logged in to read this quote.
[/quote]

Again, False.

+ Firstly I provided a tax relief plan to help small businesses, and have proposed that the change occur by 2020 allowing it to be slowly implemented. This is an old talking point that's been thrown around for ages; and is Over 600 economists signed a letter saying that an increase wouldn't harm jobs

+ States that increased the minimum wage have seen higher job growth

+ Businesses, such as Ben and Jerry's support increasing the minimum wage. It allows for more investment into workers, better working conditions, higher productivity and a more effective workforce

What this comes down to is your approach- I believe in governing that focuses on the lives of the hard workers of this nation, and makes our government responsible to these every people. Now I know that some on the right will present this as the tyranny of government but my philosophy is simple- the government should be prepared to step in and stand up for workers when there rights, there working conditions and their very livelihoods are threatened- whether it's limiting air pollution, banning lead paint, allowing workers to unionize or the government simply proposing every worker should get a fair wage it's clear that we need a government that can act for it's people

Enduro has claimed that his policy is based on freedom- frankly his proposal only offers the freedom for Atlasians' workers to be even poorer.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2016, 07:28:53 PM »

1. Workers will get the money they need to live without government's help; they'll go to companies that offer better employment conditions, and better pay. To get people to work for them, companies will follow the example of the other businesses who have employees.
In the quote Blair used, about businesses not being able to pay an increase, he argued that companies would be able to afford the increase he proposes. Maybe bigger companies, yet small businesses, which is the backbone of the economy, won't.

2. Try a revolutionary new system called freedom to choose. I've been saying this the whole campaign, if you have a government mandated health care plan, than your choice is limited to dealing with it, or moving out. If my plan is implemented, there will be 3 different plans for people. Although, I'm completely open to starting a fund to help regions pay for their plans, but that's the limit of federal involvement I want in this issue.

4. If you have women parts, go to the women's room. If you have man parts, go to the men's room. I will say that this is a regional issue.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2016, 11:21:51 AM »

Well Enduro seemed to make this rather bizarre attack against myself, after I raised serious concerns about his boast that 'he'd do nothing to help Women's rights' in the Senate. It's frankly an absurd attack, considering that I've not only served in Regional Government much longer than him but also considering that I lead the Northeast through an economic and political revival.

As I've always said throughout this campaign this isn't about being a regionalist, or a centralizer, or about being in favour of big or small government. We shouldn't get tied down to positions, and the come launching into a debate declaring your victory before you've even discussed and viewed the issues.

I believe that issues such as education, policing and transport the bulk of policy should be left to the regions. Likewise I believe that the regions need to be active in improving their own economies; this is what I did as Governor of the Northeast. However we need to work together as a nation to fix the big issues, and provide national standards on air pollution, climate change, working rights, consumer protections and so many other issues. We can't have a race to the bottom in the regions like we did in the past where certain states issued no regulations- as we saw with Credit Cards in South Dakota. We can't have a race to bottom.

Once again, this election is about the fundamental choice about smart v reckless government. We're going to elect 9 members to the House, and 6 Senators. There's no point electing them if on every issue they decide to kick the issue to the regions.  
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2016, 05:33:15 PM »

4. (For Both Candidates) The issue of transgender peoples' bathroom use has become a point of contention recently. Do you support transgender peoples' usage of the bathroom of their choice? What is the Government's role in this?

I've always supported the rights of LGBT individuals in Atlasia, and frankly I see this as a civil rights issue. I know that many people will disagree with me on this, but I'd rather be the Senator who stood up for the issue knowing it would be unpopular, rather than the Senator who stood by and said nothing.

There's been concern from groups that these 'bathroom bills' would allow sex offenders to abuse children, which is well the exact same charges we saw leveled at Homosexuals in the 1950s and 1960's. Study after Study has shown

It comes down to a wider issue for me; if the regions act in accordance with the constitution and guarantee citizens using public facilities like schools to act on their civil then the Federal Government will not have to get involved. However if the LGBT community have to continue to suffer through the injustice of Gay Conversion Therapy, workplace harassment, housing displacement and the general denial on their civil rights then the Senate has a duty to act. 
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2016, 05:55:54 PM »

We are now moving on to the rebuttals round. Candidates may post rebuttals to their opponents' answers.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2016, 06:20:44 PM »

1. Workers will get the money they need to live without government's help; they'll go to companies that offer better employment conditions, and better pay. To get people to work for them, companies will follow the example of the other businesses who have employees.
In the quote Blair used, about businesses not being able to pay an increase, he argued that companies would be able to afford the increase he proposes. Maybe bigger companies, yet small businesses, which is the backbone of the economy, won't.

The funny thing is that Enduro your plan would Increase[ the reliance on the federal government. When you've got people's wages being cut, as would no doubt happen under the repeal of minimum wage laws you'd have more people reliant on government welfare, you'd have even more college kids unable to afford to learn, even more parents struggling to put food on the table and even more Atlasians  being put at the mercy of your reckless plan.

Now you say people will go to companies with better conditions but its not that simple. For millions of folks minimum wage service jobs they're going to face a massive decline in their wages. How are they going to afford rent? How are they going to buy food? When you're looking for work in the service industry as a cleaner, a waiter or a fast food worker you don't have the option of getting higher paid work. It's strange that you think that getting rid of the minimum wage would somehow help wages rise.

You want to talk about small businesses, how come over 60% of them support a hike in the minimum wage? In fact 67% of the Northeast small businesses support said raise.

My plan would have the increase rolled out over 4 years to keep it steady, along with a tax relief for small businesses. The biggest threat to small businesses is a weak economy- and I've yet to see you put forward any plans as to how we're going to improve the economy

Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2016, 07:44:27 PM »

The funny thing is that Enduro your plan would Increase[ the reliance on the federal government. When you've got people's wages being cut, as would no doubt happen under the repeal of minimum wage laws you'd have more people reliant on government welfare, you'd have even more college kids unable to afford to learn, even more parents struggling to put food on the table and even more Atlasians  being put at the mercy of your reckless plan.

Now you say people will go to companies with better conditions but its not that simple. For millions of folks minimum wage service jobs they're going to face a massive decline in their wages. How are they going to afford rent? How are they going to buy food? When you're looking for work in the service industry as a cleaner, a waiter or a fast food worker you don't have the option of getting higher paid work. It's strange that you think that getting rid of the minimum wage would somehow help wages rise.

You want to talk about small businesses, how come over 60% of them support a hike in the minimum wage? In fact 67% of the Northeast small businesses support said raise.

My plan would have the increase rolled out over 4 years to keep it steady, along with a tax relief for small businesses. The biggest threat to small businesses is a weak economy- and I've yet to see you put forward any plans as to how we're going to improve the economy

Senator, with all this support for a minimum wage increase you'd think that they'd pay their workers more no matter what the government says. We don't need the government involved in everything, wages are between the employer, and employee.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2016, 03:01:18 AM »

. We don't need the government involved in everything, wages are between the employer, and employee.

When have I ever argued we need government involved in everything?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies