How would the 2016 Dem. primaries have gone if Sanders hadn't run?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:27:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Alternative Elections (Moderator: Dereich)
  How would the 2016 Dem. primaries have gone if Sanders hadn't run?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How would the 2016 Dem. primaries have gone if Sanders hadn't run?  (Read 944 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 08, 2016, 07:54:52 PM »

Suppose Sanders doesn't run in 2016, and the only Dem. candidates are Clinton, O'Malley, Chafee, and Webb.  Does Clinton win every state?  What kind of victory margins does she get in the early states?  How long do the non-Clinton candidates stay in the race?
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2016, 09:59:42 PM »

I think Webb might sweep the states like Kentucky, West Virginia, and the like. I don't know if he would win the Deep South states. If he can get a good number of Blue Dog African Americans to endorse him, I could see this map:

Clinton: 55.8%
Webb: 42.2%
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2016, 01:49:21 PM »

I think Webb might sweep the states like Kentucky, West Virginia, and the like. I don't know if he would win the Deep South states. If he can get a good number of Blue Dog African Americans to endorse him, I could see this map:

Clinton: 55.8%
Webb: 42.2%

Is this a joke? First of all, Webb's campaign was not serious. Secondly, blacks are not going to support an f'ing Confederate flag apologist at all, much less when his opponent is a Clinton. He'd make Bernie's share of the black vote look impressive by comparison.

Assuming Webb managed to run a remotely competent campaign and somehow kept support in the midst of perpetual slaughters in the vast majority of the states, this would be his ceiling:

IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2016, 01:52:43 PM »

My guess: Webb and Chafee are still complete duds and drop out before Iowa. O'Malley becomes her main challenger and gains some traction as a result, improving significantly in the national polls and closing the gap in IA/NH. Clinton wins IA comfortably, but is given a scare in NH as she only barely squeaks by O'Malley. He drops out after getting shut out on Super Tuesday.

In other words, I think in this situation that O'Malley is the Bill Bradley many of us thought Sanders was going to be.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2016, 01:56:57 PM »

She would have crushed anyone unless it was Biden or Warren IMO. I could see a 50-State-Sweep, maybe losing WV and KY due to coal. I could see an O'Malley surge (but only for a bit), but maybe that's just my President Infinity playing.
The Last Northerner

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2016, 11:54:12 PM »

O'Malley becomes the default not Clinton, camps out in Iowa for 6 months, but still gets a respectable loss. Clinton sweeps 40-45 states (holdouts include West Virginia, Utah, etc).
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2016, 04:10:08 PM »
« Edited: June 27, 2016, 04:27:45 PM by Spark498 (Fed-PA) »

Hillary Clinton- 40 states, (58.7%)