A Lesbian Texan is Being Held at a Gay Conversion Camp Against Her Will
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:55:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  A Lesbian Texan is Being Held at a Gay Conversion Camp Against Her Will
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: A Lesbian Texan is Being Held at a Gay Conversion Camp Against Her Will  (Read 2524 times)
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2016, 06:06:29 PM »

It sounds more to be in the nature of a criminal case, than a civil one. The local DA should be contacted. But then, it's Texas, and well, the DA's there in many places, might not be interested in pursuing it.

How do you figure?  Plenty of high schoolers have been shipped away to military school against their wishes because their parents don't like their behavior.

And once a minor is entrusted to your care you can't just let them leave the facility whenever they want.  If something happens to them the parasitic lawyers will show up with a $1 million lawsuit.

It's why emancipation of minors exists. To free teenagers from terrible parents.

I don't know what all went on but what I read in the original article posted in this thread didn't indicate to me at all that they were "terrible parents".  Honestly this looks more like the breakdown of the traditional family structure.  I had major disagreements with my parents at times.  Sometimes they were right sometimes I felt I was right but at 17 I could either talk to them or just keep my mouth shut for a few months until I was 18 and could do whatever I wanted to do.

And that's the issue. Starting at 14, some legal rights should be moved, gradually, from the parent, to the teenager. Current law assume the parents have a clue what they are doing, adn they often don't. A teenager isn't a furniture belonging to their parents.

Here, in Quebec, parents cannot force a medical treatment on teenagers after 14. Medical majority is 14, as it's considered mature enough to know if they want a treatment or not.

You know that is not true... or at least you know that is a very simplistic and skewed representation of the situation in Quebec.  A 15 year old can't just go out and get a boob job without their parent's permission.  Canada is a civilized and rational country.  They are not going to hand all the decision making power to one party while saddling another party with all the responsibility if things go wrong.  And also I've never met a doctor who would pick up a scalpel and do major surgery on the say so of a 14 year old.  Even if it was legal ethics would prohibit it.  I haven't been everywhere but that would be very bizarre in the few places I have been.

Bottom line is parents aren't always right but they are right way more than 14 year olds are.  In extreme cases emancipation is available.  But really that is not applicable in this case because this "child" is mere months away from being 18 and able to do whatever she wants.  The question I'm left asking is why didn't she just chill for a few months?  I mean with all the persecution and suffering in the world today is it really that hard to wait a few months before posting something on twitter defying your parents?  Again, parent's and daughter need to learn to communicate and be rational.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #51 on: June 11, 2016, 06:25:03 PM »

It sounds more to be in the nature of a criminal case, than a civil one. The local DA should be contacted. But then, it's Texas, and well, the DA's there in many places, might not be interested in pursuing it.

How do you figure?  Plenty of high schoolers have been shipped away to military school against their wishes because their parents don't like their behavior.

And once a minor is entrusted to your care you can't just let them leave the facility whenever they want.  If something happens to them the parasitic lawyers will show up with a $1 million lawsuit.

It's why emancipation of minors exists. To free teenagers from terrible parents.

I don't know what all went on but what I read in the original article posted in this thread didn't indicate to me at all that they were "terrible parents".  Honestly this looks more like the breakdown of the traditional family structure.  I had major disagreements with my parents at times.  Sometimes they were right sometimes I felt I was right but at 17 I could either talk to them or just keep my mouth shut for a few months until I was 18 and could do whatever I wanted to do.

And that's the issue. Starting at 14, some legal rights should be moved, gradually, from the parent, to the teenager. Current law assume the parents have a clue what they are doing, adn they often don't. A teenager isn't a furniture belonging to their parents.

Here, in Quebec, parents cannot force a medical treatment on teenagers after 14. Medical majority is 14, as it's considered mature enough to know if they want a treatment or not.

You know that is not true... or at least you know that is a very simplistic and skewed representation of the situation in Quebec.  A 15 year old can't just go out and get a boob job without their parent's permission.  Canada is a civilized and rational country.  They are not going to hand all the decision making power to one party while saddling another party with all the responsibility if things go wrong.  And also I've never met a doctor who would pick up a scalpel and do major surgery on the say so of a 14 year old.  Even if it was legal ethics would prohibit it.  I haven't been everywhere but that would be very bizarre in the few places I have been.

Bottom line is parents aren't always right but they are right way more than 14 year olds are.  In extreme cases emancipation is available.  But really that is not applicable in this case because this "child" is mere months away from being 18 and able to do whatever she wants.  The question I'm left asking is why didn't she just chill for a few months?  I mean with all the persecution and suffering in the world today is it really that hard to wait a few months before posting something on twitter defying your parents?  Again, parent's and daughter need to learn to communicate and be rational.

Legally, it is very true. It's also banned to do cosmetic surgery on minors expect for reconstructive purposes. I'm aware, I was 15, and the doctor plainly said to my mother, he is over 14, so you can advice him, but he is the only with the legal power to decide and he can go over any of your objections.
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #52 on: June 11, 2016, 06:56:53 PM »

Legally, it is very true. It's also banned to do cosmetic surgery on minors expect for reconstructive purposes. I'm aware, I was 15, and the doctor plainly said to my mother, he is over 14, so you can advice him, but he is the only with the legal power to decide and he can go over any of your objections.

Well you do have access to the internet.  A brief conversation that you may or may not have understood can be easily verified.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

https://www.educaloi.qc.ca/en/capsules/medical-decisions-children-14-17-years-old

Again.  Far more to the story than you are presenting and it makes sense.  If you go off and decide to do something or not do something it is the parent that will ultimately be responsible.  They are not going to cut the parents out of the decision and at the same time saddle them with the responsibility.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #53 on: June 11, 2016, 06:58:34 PM »

Well, I'm telling what the doctor said.

In any case, action is needed to protect LGBT teens from their parents. Or you would prefer her becoming yet another homeless LGBT teen kicked from her own house?
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #54 on: June 11, 2016, 07:24:57 PM »

Well, I'm telling what the doctor said.

Sounds to me like you may have kind of heard something the way you wanted to hear it and then just repeated it on the internet.  Really man what you posted is demonstrably incorrect and frankly doesn't make any sense.  Saying, "some guy told me" isn't really an excuse.  Throughout this conversation you had more than enough time to spend 10 seconds goolging to find out the truth.  And this is why 14 year olds  are not given carte blanche.

In any case, action is needed to protect LGBT teens from their parents. Or you would prefer her becoming yet another homeless LGBT teen kicked from her own house?

What in this story leads you to believe if this "girl" just laid low for a few months she would be homeless?  That's my point about the whole thread.  It is needlessly hyperbolic.  If I knew something was going to push my parents' buttons guess what?  I didn't tweet about it.  This has nothing to do with LGBT.  For centuries teenagers have had love interests that their parents don't approve of.  If you are a few months away from leaving home you just lay low and stop tweeting about it.  Tell the folks what they want to hear and then get a job and your own place and make pron if you want.

Having said that there is a lot about this situation I don't know and I feel that the parents were a bit unreasonable thinking they could change her in the last few months before she turned 18.  But guess what?  You encounter unreasonable people in positions of authority all the time.  Taking to twitter and turning the dial up to 11 is not the solution all the time.  Sometimes chilling for a few months and smiling while you walk out the door is a very good option.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #55 on: June 11, 2016, 08:29:59 PM »

This idea of telling her to just chill a few months strikes me as odd, and I'm someone willing to give the school and parents the benefit of a few doubts.  Not that I doubt that both parents and school see gayness as sinfulness, but that doesn't mean that they'd necessarily go into so-called conversion therapy.  (Not that Andrew likely considers that a distinction worth a difference.)  Also, we still don't know the whole story and there could be other factors beyond being gay that led the parents to send her to a boarding school. The only absolutely sure fact is that there was already a lot of ill will between her parents and her aunt.

But back to the point at hand. Teenagers are not usually renown for self-control and frankly, I don't see that this is the sort of thing she should have to hide for even a few months.  Even if one were to think it sinful, it isn't harmful to either oneself or others. (At least not harmful in the physical sense that laws in a land like ours with freedom of religion should limit themselves to.) And in the moral sense, the whole history and ethos of Christianity speaks against the validity of forced conversion of any sort, let alone one perceived specific sin.  At most one might condition a person against engaging in a particular behavior, but we can still sin in our hearts, even if kept from sinning in our loins.  We all sin, but the beauty of the message of Christ's true message is that grace is available to us if we but ask for it. (And as a Universalist, I don't even hold that you necessarily need to ask of it from Christ himself.  The Way is narrow and few will find it, but that doesn't mean only One (or Three) ever found it without guidance.)
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies