A Lesbian Texan is Being Held at a Gay Conversion Camp Against Her Will
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 04:11:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  A Lesbian Texan is Being Held at a Gay Conversion Camp Against Her Will
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: A Lesbian Texan is Being Held at a Gay Conversion Camp Against Her Will  (Read 2518 times)
user12345
wifikitten
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2016, 05:02:16 PM »

It really is time for a federal ban on "conversion therapy" and other psychiatric quackery.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2016, 05:54:24 PM »

It really is time for a federal ban on "conversion therapy" and other psychiatric quackery.

With gay marriage now legal nationwide and all anti-discrimination measures, it is the only logical course of action.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2016, 06:42:36 PM »

Truly disgusting. 
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2016, 06:46:42 PM »

despicable. there really needs to be federal action on this kind of stuff.

I hope so.  I was so disgusted about it last night that I wrote a letter to my Senator asking for help.  I know I live in NY, but hopefully it will do some good.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2016, 07:22:50 PM »

This, more or less, is why I support granting more legal rights to teenagers...
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2016, 11:47:01 PM »

The parents are claiming she was sent there for her depression and suicidal feelings.  The place in question does not advertise itself as a place that does gay conversion or whatever.  It is hard to know what the truth is here as it is the claim of one part of the family against the other.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2016, 11:49:50 PM »

Hilarious to see all these blue avatars get worked up over this but keep displaying the blue anyway.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2016, 12:14:34 AM »

Hopefully they can get her out, but really someone in her extended family should get her out.

There are only four states where this is illegal. The number should be fifty.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2016, 08:23:17 AM »

It's also illegal in the city of Cincinnati, but not statewide.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2016, 09:37:00 AM »

I now see that she is released - thank goodness. The situation perhaps not as bad as initially reported but seriously, what disastrous, unfit parents

http://www.thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/johnwright/christian_boarding_school_denies_it_practices_ex_gay_therapy_says_jeremy_jordan_s_cousin_no_longer_there
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2016, 12:51:31 PM »

That's great news!  Thanks for posting it.  I'm pretty sure the social outrage played a huge part in this actually happening.  I'm a bit skeptical of what the "school" is saying, but the main thing is Sarah is safe.  Hopefully she can start having a better life.

I also hope that this doesn't mean everyone forgets about this issue in Washington because it's definitely something that needs to be solved.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2016, 12:55:42 PM »

Can we please not call people "unfit parents" without solid evidence?
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2016, 12:59:28 PM »

How exactly is sending your child to a "pray the gay away" camp not solid evidence?

I'd link an R-VA image here, but damn, even many Republicans are condemning this. Perhaps C-VA will fit more.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2016, 04:19:36 PM »

Not a term I like to use, but according to that article, the father and priest explicitly tried to change sexual orientation even aside from this camp. That's completely unacceptable if true even if the school's not bad, which it very well may be.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2016, 04:41:32 PM »

Not a term I like to use, but according to that article, the father and priest explicitly tried to change sexual orientation even aside from this camp. That's completely unacceptable if true even if the school's not bad, which it very well may be.

It's just shua being shua.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2016, 09:54:20 PM »

This is again, all according to the aunt/cousin, without corroboration. 
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2016, 10:03:07 PM »

unless you have a useful comment, f**k off.

I'm pretty sure if forum would held a vote on whether to get rid of you or Afleitch, they would vote to get rid of you, by an huge margin.

He contributes things, unlike you, which is always the same "think of the feelings of religious people" act all the time. So, if someone should leave, it should be you Shua. We are tired of your act.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2016, 10:15:28 PM »

unless you have a useful comment, f**k off.

I'm pretty sure if forum would held a vote on whether to get rid of you or Afleitch, they would vote to get rid of you, by an huge margin.

He contributes things, unlike you, which is always the same "think of the feelings of religious people" act all the time. So, if someone should leave, it should be you Shua. We are tired of your act.

These things aren't up for a vote, as much as you might wish them to be, but I love how anything that isn't Robespierran secularism is automatically an "act" lol

Don't worry, MaxQue, I'm fully confident afleitch will be free to stay here to harass people for wandering off the liberal reservation on sexuality issues, no matter what I say to him.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2016, 03:28:36 AM »

Thanks MaxQue for quoting that comment before it was deleted. I tend to miss them.

Anyway the girl in question had a girl friend and had a number of rather sweet exchanges on twitter. They wanted to go to the prom together and she tweeted her parents didn't want her to go if she took her girlfriend. A week later she was sent away.

The centre's secrecy is part of it's problem and homosexuality is clearly defined as undesirable and on the matter suggests it's a place to sent people 'wanting to make a clean break'.

Regardless of why she was sent there there is no doubt her sexuality would be questioned as part of general 'therapy' contrary to psychological best practice. That is damaging and an affront to human dignity.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2016, 11:41:14 AM »

Thanks MaxQue for quoting that comment before it was deleted. I tend to miss them.

Anyway the girl in question had a girl friend and had a number of rather sweet exchanges on twitter. They wanted to go to the prom together and she tweeted her parents didn't want her to go if she took her girlfriend. A week later she was sent away.

The centre's secrecy is part of it's problem and homosexuality is clearly defined as undesirable and on the matter suggests it's a place to sent people 'wanting to make a clean break'.

Regardless of why she was sent there there is no doubt her sexuality would be questioned as part of general 'therapy' contrary to psychological best practice. That is damaging and an affront to human dignity.

I would respond to this but dialogue with you is impossible since anything I say either earns me an insult or else is just "shua being shua" Smiley
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2016, 12:17:06 PM »

I would respond to this but dialogue with you is impossible since anything I say either earns me an insult or else is just "shua being shua" Smiley

At least I don't tell you to f-ck off Wink
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #46 on: June 11, 2016, 02:02:02 PM »

It sounds more to be in the nature of a criminal case, than a civil one. The local DA should be contacted. But then, it's Texas, and well, the DA's there in many places, might not be interested in pursuing it.

How do you figure?  Plenty of high schoolers have been shipped away to military school against their wishes because their parents don't like their behavior.

And once a minor is entrusted to your care you can't just let them leave the facility whenever they want.  If something happens to them the parasitic lawyers will show up with a $1 million lawsuit.

I mean if someone disapproved of their child's interracial relationship and shipped them off to a rural religious school that banned interracial relationships there is nothing anyone can do about it.  And it isn't illegal.  Ronald Reagan gave a speech at Bob Jones University when it had a full on ban on interracial dating in place... not sure what their policy was regarding lesbians but I can imagine.

I can't stand racism but I also realize the reality that a lot of racism is perfectly legal or at least very hard to prove in a court of law.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #47 on: June 11, 2016, 02:39:36 PM »

It sounds more to be in the nature of a criminal case, than a civil one. The local DA should be contacted. But then, it's Texas, and well, the DA's there in many places, might not be interested in pursuing it.

How do you figure?  Plenty of high schoolers have been shipped away to military school against their wishes because their parents don't like their behavior.

And once a minor is entrusted to your care you can't just let them leave the facility whenever they want.  If something happens to them the parasitic lawyers will show up with a $1 million lawsuit.

It's why emancipation of minors exists. To free teenagers from terrible parents.
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #48 on: June 11, 2016, 05:12:09 PM »

It's why emancipation of minors exists. To free teenagers from terrible parents.

I don't know what all went on but what I read in the original article posted in this thread didn't indicate to me at all that they were "terrible parents".  Honestly this looks more like the breakdown of the traditional family structure.  I had major disagreements with my parents at times.  Sometimes they were right sometimes I felt I was right but at 17 I could either talk to them or just keep my mouth shut for a few months until I was 18 and could do whatever I wanted to do.

It's just kind of nuts.  All the time at work I've avoided going nuclear on something because the company only had a few months left on one contract or the other.  It's not rational to create a national news story and go through a costly legal exercises like emancipation vs just chilling for a few months.  Any halfway decent attorney would tell you that.

And conversely parents should wise up and realize when someone is mere months from moving out you aren't going to make major changes in their world views.

Really a world war that didn't need to occur.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #49 on: June 11, 2016, 05:37:16 PM »

I don't know what all went on but what I read in the original article posted in this thread didn't indicate to me at all that they were "terrible parents".  Honestly this looks more like the breakdown of the traditional family structure.  I had major disagreements with my parents at times.  Sometimes they were right sometimes I felt I was right but at 17 I could either talk to them or just keep my mouth shut for a few months until I was 18 and could do whatever I wanted to do.

And that's the issue. Starting at 14, some legal rights should be moved, gradually, from the parent, to the teenager. Current law assume the parents have a clue what they are doing, adn they often don't. A teenager isn't a furniture belonging to their parents.

Here, in Quebec, parents cannot force a medical treatment on teenagers after 14. Medical majority is 14, as it's considered mature enough to know if they want a treatment or not.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies