Office of Maxwell - Not Running for Governor!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 08:22:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Office of Maxwell - Not Running for Governor!
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Office of Maxwell - Not Running for Governor!  (Read 1021 times)
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 09, 2016, 04:35:09 PM »
« edited: June 30, 2016, 04:41:18 PM by Maxwell »

Ladies and Gents,

I am pleased to return to Atlasia a new person. My last few times here I was a bit of an aggressive joke person, and now I'm coming back here for serious business. It's exciting to see the new constitution in place, and I wanted to see how everything was working out here and potentially participate.

I've changed a lot in terms of my positions since I was here - I was a mild-flavored Libertarian back then, who did a lot to reduce spending and lower taxes in my time in the Senate. At the same time though, I did push a rather progressive agenda as Governor of the Midwest - creating a budget that saw increases in programs and increases in taxation to pay for new programs. Similar to when I was the leader of the IDS - I saw increases in programs, and then sought to balance the budget. I was a member of the Federalist Party and a member of the Democratic-Republican Party.

Now, I'm a member of Labor, the party of workers, and I largely agree with their tenants of making sure that Government works for every citizen so that they get a fair shot. That they get the healthcare they need, the employment they want, the wages they deserve, and the retirement they earned. I support a solid minimum wage, a guaranteed universal income, continuing the labor protections implemented under past Labor Senators, and making sure our trade agreements give workers in all countries a leg to stand on.

I also notice the wiki is badly out of date, I hope I can be of service in that change.

I hope to return to running for office at some point, but I still need time to figure out the landscape.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2016, 04:41:24 PM »

Welcome back!
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2016, 04:42:22 PM »

rpryor03
Bahamas

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2016, 04:58:33 PM »

As the man who was formerly Wiki Secretary, I bow to Maxwell as the true Sensai of the Wiki.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2016, 05:07:11 PM »

Good to hear that some other people are concerned about the wiki as well Tongue
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2016, 05:35:28 PM »

Welcome back Maxwell
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2016, 05:41:53 PM »

Welcome back!
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 3.00, S: -0.41

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2016, 11:37:17 PM »

Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2016, 01:33:12 AM »

Nice to see you back, Maxwell! Smiley
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2016, 01:45:11 AM »

I support a solid minimum wage, a guaranteed universal income, continuing the labor protections implemented under past Labor Senators, and making sure our trade agreements give workers in all countries a leg to stand on.

The ironic thing is, I actually voted for half of those things back when we served in the Senate together. Tongue

Wouldn't be first economic libertarian to do a back flip right over my positions. Wink
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2016, 10:20:00 AM »

Exploring a run for Northern Governor

With the development of the Northern constitution under way and new offices soon to be opened, I've been encouraged by some of Atlas' most notable and highest officers to run for the Governor of the North. I would be a fool not to consider it. There are things I am still thinking about: whether I am ready to tread this water again, the agenda I wish to set for this region, what the assembly will even look like, and what reforms we can go through with. Over the next few days, I will think about all these things and hopefully come to a conclusion of whether or not my presence would be a net benefit in that regard.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2016, 01:12:53 PM »

Making the Leap - Running for Governor

After a day of reflection and more encouragement, I've come to a conclusion that the voices in the Governors race at the moment are not nearly diverse enough. The conversation does not reflect the views of the people of the North. I've decided, therefore, that I will enter the race for Governor of the North and be the leader that this region needs.

I hope this campaign can be about substance, about the needs of the North, and about what we can do to make this region more prosperous and more free. I will put forward my ideas for the betterment of our community. As Governor:

- I want to make sure our budgets are responsible, don't put unnecessary constraints on business, while at the same time investing in the institutions that need our attention.
- I want to work with potential legislators like Scott to make our healthcare system better and more affordable for taxpayers and for government.
- I want to do more for our LGBT community and creating a safe environment so they can never fear another attack like that in Orlando
- I want to do more to prevent gun violence.
- And I want to make sure that people who work are properly compensated by increasing the minimum wage to $15.00/hr, and encouraging a shorter work week so that citizens have more time to themselves.

My foremost pledge, however, is to be someone that continues the progress made thus far and keeps things running smoothly. In my previous experience as Midwest and IDS Governor, my top priorities were keeping things running even as the world around me was falling apart. In the Midwest, the Government became functional for a long while because I recruited the best people to make the region happen.

I hope you all join me on the campaign trail and ask me all the questions you can. I will be happy to respond.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2016, 01:44:36 PM »

Best of luck to you! Smiley
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2016, 01:49:27 PM »

Endorsed!
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2016, 01:57:53 PM »

Endorsed.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2016, 04:23:44 PM »

100% endorsed.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2016, 05:04:54 PM »

As someone who's worked with all three candidates for Governor I know this is going to be a important race for Governor. We need someone who is both active, and can also be a voice for progress- you're commitment for LGBT rights, a fair living wage and healthcare reform show that you can be a progressive champion; who also has executive experience.

Endorsed
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2016, 05:08:06 PM »

yes good. you have my full support.
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2016, 05:57:11 PM »

Endorsed!
Former Senator Haslam2020
Haslam2020
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2016, 06:27:55 PM »

Endorsed.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2016, 03:12:27 PM »

My Critique of the Governors Budget

I have looked over the Governors proposed budget. While I appreciate the budget coming to balance, a few things stick out to me:

- First, the increase in spending is a measley 1%, which is almost a spending DECREASE if we include the factors of inflation and hikes in the cost of living. Spending on schools remains stagnant, as classroom costs continue to go up. Whatever minor increases that do happen are entirely due to updates in the Northeastern energy infrastructure. And all of this is not mentioning the fact that the Northeast is expanding to the North, including many more states and an increased appetite for just about everything. I believe we need to expand spending in just about every department by 25% or more in order to match the increases in inflation, costs of living, and the increase states involved (we will, after all, be collecting more tax revenue)

- Second, with the expansion of our regions we will receive more tax revenue. I propose an increase in our income tax to the point where we put an end to the sales tax. I believe the sales tax is deeply regressive and gives the poor in our region a stiffing. One of my top priorities as Governor is providing a taxing and revenue system that allows the poorest among us to survive.

- Finally, I agree with my colleague Kingpoleon in terms of an increase in the gas tax. However, I would want it to only increase to a point - for middle class families who have to use a car for transportation, the cost of the gas tax beyond a certain level would be regressive for them. And this is a principle I have for all taxation - I think we shouldn't burden people to death with over-taxation - I think we should tax to the point where we can fund our institutions and create the right incentives for our citizens. Beyond a certain point, of which I am not sure at the moment, taxes are a hindrance, not a funding mechanism.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2016, 05:47:00 PM »

I'm afraid I won't be able to be an active Governor of the North, so as of today I am suspending my campaign for Governor. I will not be offering an endorsement in this race, but wish nothing but the best to the two candidates involved.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies