San Francisco
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 04:04:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  San Francisco
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: San Francisco  (Read 605 times)
sportydude

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 09, 2016, 04:55:02 PM »

Since we're having a thread about San Francisco's suprising support for Hillary, I'm wondering about the following:
Is San Francisco's label as "gay capital of the United States" in fact justified?
If so, how come there are so many homosexual people living in the City by the Bay?
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2016, 09:38:42 PM »

Since we're having a thread about San Francisco's suprising support for Hillary, I'm wondering about the following:
Is San Francisco's label as "gay capital of the United States" in fact justified?
If so, how come there are so many homosexual people living in the City by the Bay?

What makes you think gays and (especially) lesbians were mainly backing Sanders in the first place?  The New York City precinct data showed that NYC's gayer neighborhoods backed Clinton.  It's no surprise that San Francisco would follow.  Plus, many gays living in cities like San Francisco are relatively high income, and high income folks generally backed Clinton over Sanders.  It's not always all about sexual orientation.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2016, 09:44:12 PM »

Gay men over 50 have been kissing the ground Hillary walks on for many years now. San Francisco is full of gay men over 50.
sportydude

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2016, 10:25:18 PM »

What makes you think gays and (especially) lesbians were mainly backing Sanders in the first place?  The New York City precinct data showed that NYC's gayer neighborhoods backed Clinton.  It's no surprise that San Francisco would follow.  Plus, many gays living in cities like San Francisco are relatively high income, and high income folks generally backed Clinton over Sanders.  It's not always all about sexual orientation.

Nonono, you misunderstood me. According to a poll, half of the users are surprised that Bernie lost that city.
Many, including myself, obviously overestimated the "hippy and hipster vote", while simultaneously underestimating the "gay vote".
San Francisco is well-known for both social groups, thus making it hard to weight their influences on the primary.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2016, 10:50:57 PM »

Nonono, you misunderstood me. According to a poll, half of the users are surprised that Bernie lost that city.
Many, including myself, obviously overestimated the "hippy and hipster vote", while simultaneously underestimating the "gay vote".
San Francisco is well-known for both social groups, thus making it hard to weight their influences on the primary.

There aren't many poor hippies and hipsters left in San Francisco.  It's one of the most expensive cities to live in in the country.  They've been priced out of the market.  And Clinton generally won high-income voters.

The NYC precinct results should have told you that Clinton was going to win San Francisco.  Gayer NYC neighborhoods voted Clinton.  Richer NYC neighborhoods like the Upper East and West Sides voted Clinton.  Chinatown generally voted Clinton.  It was only the middle class white ethnic NYC neighborhoods that generally voted Sanders.  San Francisco doesn't have a ton of those.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies