Education Speech, Kansas City
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:20:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Education Speech, Kansas City
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Education Speech, Kansas City  (Read 455 times)
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 14, 2005, 03:16:14 PM »

Hello.  It's a beautiful day here in Kansas City.

As you know, I have, throughout my career, put a strong stress on education.  I think that it is, quite possibly, the most important thing that we need to consider as a people and as a government other than our own solidarity as a nation and our defense.

A quality education is a ticket to a productive and satisfying life for our citizens and a promising future for Atlasia.  Ultimately, education opens doors, creates opportunities and secures our civic culture.

I can tell you, nothing makes me angrier than thinking about all of the opportunity, all the potential that this country is wasting with each passing day.  We see it all over, but many of us choose to ignore it.  All over Atlasia, we see evidence of schools that have failed, teachers who have lost faith and students that have given up hope.  The sad fact is that in many inner-city and rural schools, children, teachers and administrators are not given the tools that they need to succeed.

There are those, among my opponents who want to see less federal involvement and less federal funding of education.  What they may, or may not realize, taking such a course would be fundamentally destructive to struggling schools and would only deepen the crisis.  Without federal funding, school districts would have to rely on property taxes, only to fund our schools.  This would, in turn, severely widen the gap between those schools that are already wealthy, and those that are suffering from monetary shortfalls.  We cannot allow this to happen.

My plan would neither seek to increase, nor decrease federal funding for education, but rather to be more efficient with the money that we have and to spread more of the funds to poorer schools.  At the same time, I will seek to open up new opportunities by allowing parents of children in schools that continue to fail to take their child to a different public school, free of charge.

Education of the mind is very important, but students must learn to educate their bodies as well.  One of the problems with this country is that we do not have health care.  We have sick care.  As president I will urge our schools to take a proactive stance in preventing future ailments through increased physical and health education.  It might take more money initially, but in the long run, it will save our health care system from often expensive medical bills.

Finally, I will establish national standards, that do not include simply testing, but also a solid education in civics, government, history, arts and sciences that will concentrate on expanding the focus of our schools and developing well rounded individuals.  Teachers should never have to teach for a test, they should teach so that their students can learn.

The right to a quality education is one of the most fundamental rights in any democratic society, and it is one I will fight hard to preserve as President.  Thank you.  God Bless.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2005, 04:03:39 PM »

My plan would neither seek to increase, nor decrease federal funding for education, but rather to be more efficient with the money that we have. 

Where are we being inefficient now?

Great speech Smiley
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2005, 04:06:57 PM »

The federal government is spending money.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2005, 04:41:23 PM »

*cheers Super in proper VP fashion* Kiki
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2005, 04:48:52 PM »

WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2005, 04:49:59 PM »

Cute. Tongue
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2005, 05:54:23 AM »

My plan would neither seek to increase, nor decrease federal funding for education, but rather to be more efficient with the money that we have. 

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies