Harry Speech: Cigarette Tax
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:32:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Harry Speech: Cigarette Tax
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Harry Speech: Cigarette Tax  (Read 994 times)
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 15, 2005, 04:17:13 PM »

What if there were a way to increase government revenue, and also improve the health of Atlasia?  Well, there is.  If elected president, I will pursue a federal 50-cents-a-pack tax on cigarettes.  Under this plan, Atlasia wins, no matter what smokers decide to do.  If they decide to continue smoking, Atlasia will respect the choice and gain revenue to be put in the general fund that can be used to make something good out of something bad.  If the tax drives them to quit, then Atlasia will become a healthier place.
It is not often that a win-win situation comes by for Atlasia, but this time it does.
I would also like to address smokers' rights while we're on the subject.  While I find smoking revolting, I do respect the right of people to smoke on their own property.  However, I will push for a smoking ban in all public buildings.  Studies show that second-hand smoke is just as dangerous as first hand, and a smoker does not have the right to kill the people around him.  Second-hand smoke causes cancer; it happened to a neighbor of mine, but under my leadership it won't have to happen to anyone else.
If you want a healthier Atlasia, cast your votes for Harry/Ebowed this weekend.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2005, 04:19:48 PM »

Except that smokers are part of Atlasia...and I suppose so are cigarette companies... Roll Eyes
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2005, 04:20:46 PM »

I agree with this, though I'd rather have the regions take action on a regional issue like this.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2005, 04:22:22 PM »

I agree with this, though I'd rather have the regions take action on a regional issue like this.
That's why I left the tax at a low 50 cents, rather than the 1 dollar I orginially thought about, so regions could also put a tax on for their own purposes.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2005, 04:23:40 PM »

However, I will push for a smoking ban in all public buildings.
I'm sorry to interject, but do you mean federal government buildings, or do you mean all public buildings (restaurants, bars, etc.)?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2005, 04:23:49 PM »

If you are a real smoker, you wouldn't stop because of an extra 50¢ a pack.  I say if they want to smoke, let them smoke and let them smoke for cheap.  I do support city ordinances banning smoking in restaurants and bars.

Oh and cigarettes are already taxed by the regions through state tax laws (except in the Pacific who abolished state tax laws and made a regional tax code).
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2005, 04:26:33 PM »

However, I will push for a smoking ban in all public buildings.
I'm sorry to interject, but do you mean federal government buildings, or do you mean all public buildings (restaurants, bars, etc.)?
All public buildings.  I know Florida has already done this (thankfully), whilst Mississippi didn't have the guts to.

If you are a real smoker, you wouldn't stop because of an extra 50¢ a pack.  I say if they want to smoke, let them smoke and let them smoke for cheap.  I do support city ordinances banning smoking in restaurants and bars.
City ordinances aren't enough.  Why should Mississippians die from second-hand smoke while Floridans don't have to?
Also, if you're a "real smoker," then you've just contributed to the Atlasia budget, so Atlasia wins regardless.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2005, 04:28:05 PM »

King's point is a reason that we should make taxes high. It's easy money that is taken in taxes only by people who chose to buy the product. 99% will not stop buying cigarettes, so why not tax it alot.

Either way, the Southeast already has passed taxes on alcohol, cigarettes, and marijuana.  The relevent initiative is here

King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2005, 04:29:09 PM »

Harry, I recommend that if you do try to get a public smoking ban going to work with the Governors to pass this law.  A federal ban means the FBI enforces it and nothing says police state like getting arrested by the FBI for lighting up at Starbucks.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2005, 04:48:47 PM »

Cigarette tax increase: Say hello to a black market and the crime that comes with it.
FEDERAL ban on smoking in 'public' areas: See signature, and so much for region's rights, eh Harry?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2005, 04:53:27 PM »

Cigarette tax increase: Say hello to a black market and the crime that comes with it.
FEDERAL ban on smoking in 'public' areas: See signature, and so much for region's rights, eh Harry?
Preventing people from killing each other with second-hand smoke is nowhere near fascism.  I find it appalling that you would support smoking in public places with what we know now.
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2005, 05:48:13 PM »

so this ban includes all public buildings like restuarants, if so it's a bad idea and violates business owners private property rights.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2005, 05:51:25 PM »

I cannot see how the President nor the Senate could enact something of this nature, especially a federal ban on all indoor smoking in public areas. This is a clear violation of the powers of the regions and I will not vote for any bill like this that comes through the Senate.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2005, 06:58:34 PM »

Harry, on this topic, I'd love to work with you to get these ideas passed in the Southeast. Passing them on a federal level isn't what is needed at this time.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2005, 07:05:46 PM »

Preventing people from killing each other with second-hand smoke is nowhere near fascism.  I find it appalling that you would support smoking in public places with what we know now.

Privately owned restaraunts aren't public, Harry. Airports, school, and various government buildings are, and I'm fine with banning smoking in those. But if you don't like an establishment's policy on smoking, then just don't go - you have a CHOICE. People act like this is being shoved down their throats, like they can't change their own behavior to avoid second hand smoke - it is utter laziness. I find it appalling that you are so anti-freedom and anti-region's rights.

Also, you shouldn't believe all the studies and stuff you read - I've heard of other studies that say second hand smoking has little to no effect. What you have heard is the oversensationalized bias of the media. Of course, bias exists on both sides of the debate, so you have to take what both sides say with a grain of salt. The truth is most likely that second hand smoke is bad for you, but only if you are constantly exposed to it - irregular exposure probably won't give you cancer, so if you are smart enough to avoid it you can do so easily.(once again, just don't go if you don't like it - you have a choice, exercise it)
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2005, 08:46:34 PM »

I cannot see how the President nor the Senate could enact something of this nature, especially a federal ban on all indoor smoking in public areas. This is a clear violation of the powers of the regions and I will not vote for any bill like this that comes through the Senate.

Agreed.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2005, 08:48:01 AM »

I think we're the only smokers in this forum...

Actually, I'm not a smoker - it's a rather expensive and disgusting habit, though I don't mind when people do it around me occassionally(most are considerate about their second hand smoke getting in my face) - I just have a healthy respect for private property rights.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2005, 10:34:35 AM »

Smoking is a choice so only you can decide to continue paying out the ear for cigarettes.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2005, 10:35:31 AM »

Smoking is a choice so only you can decide to continue paying out the ear for cigarettes.

Going to restaraunts that allow smoking is a choice so only you can decide whether or not you go.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2005, 10:36:24 AM »

Obviously it is, that's why I don't support banning smoking in private restaurants.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2005, 10:37:38 AM »

Obviously it is, that's why I don't support banning smoking in private restaurants.

Ok then. Grin
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies