Harry Speech: Cigarette Tax (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:57:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Harry Speech: Cigarette Tax (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Harry Speech: Cigarette Tax  (Read 1032 times)
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« on: June 15, 2005, 04:17:13 PM »

What if there were a way to increase government revenue, and also improve the health of Atlasia?  Well, there is.  If elected president, I will pursue a federal 50-cents-a-pack tax on cigarettes.  Under this plan, Atlasia wins, no matter what smokers decide to do.  If they decide to continue smoking, Atlasia will respect the choice and gain revenue to be put in the general fund that can be used to make something good out of something bad.  If the tax drives them to quit, then Atlasia will become a healthier place.
It is not often that a win-win situation comes by for Atlasia, but this time it does.
I would also like to address smokers' rights while we're on the subject.  While I find smoking revolting, I do respect the right of people to smoke on their own property.  However, I will push for a smoking ban in all public buildings.  Studies show that second-hand smoke is just as dangerous as first hand, and a smoker does not have the right to kill the people around him.  Second-hand smoke causes cancer; it happened to a neighbor of mine, but under my leadership it won't have to happen to anyone else.
If you want a healthier Atlasia, cast your votes for Harry/Ebowed this weekend.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2005, 04:22:22 PM »

I agree with this, though I'd rather have the regions take action on a regional issue like this.
That's why I left the tax at a low 50 cents, rather than the 1 dollar I orginially thought about, so regions could also put a tax on for their own purposes.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2005, 04:26:33 PM »

However, I will push for a smoking ban in all public buildings.
I'm sorry to interject, but do you mean federal government buildings, or do you mean all public buildings (restaurants, bars, etc.)?
All public buildings.  I know Florida has already done this (thankfully), whilst Mississippi didn't have the guts to.

If you are a real smoker, you wouldn't stop because of an extra 50¢ a pack.  I say if they want to smoke, let them smoke and let them smoke for cheap.  I do support city ordinances banning smoking in restaurants and bars.
City ordinances aren't enough.  Why should Mississippians die from second-hand smoke while Floridans don't have to?
Also, if you're a "real smoker," then you've just contributed to the Atlasia budget, so Atlasia wins regardless.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2005, 04:53:27 PM »

Cigarette tax increase: Say hello to a black market and the crime that comes with it.
FEDERAL ban on smoking in 'public' areas: See signature, and so much for region's rights, eh Harry?
Preventing people from killing each other with second-hand smoke is nowhere near fascism.  I find it appalling that you would support smoking in public places with what we know now.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies