Harry Speech: Cigarette Tax (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:33:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Harry Speech: Cigarette Tax (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Harry Speech: Cigarette Tax  (Read 1010 times)
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« on: June 15, 2005, 04:48:47 PM »

Cigarette tax increase: Say hello to a black market and the crime that comes with it.
FEDERAL ban on smoking in 'public' areas: See signature, and so much for region's rights, eh Harry?
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2005, 07:05:46 PM »

Cigarette tax increase: Say hello to a black market and the crime that comes with it.
FEDERAL ban on smoking in 'public' areas: See signature, and so much for region's rights, eh Harry?
Preventing people from killing each other with second-hand smoke is nowhere near fascism.  I find it appalling that you would support smoking in public places with what we know now.

Privately owned restaraunts aren't public, Harry. Airports, school, and various government buildings are, and I'm fine with banning smoking in those. But if you don't like an establishment's policy on smoking, then just don't go - you have a CHOICE. People act like this is being shoved down their throats, like they can't change their own behavior to avoid second hand smoke - it is utter laziness. I find it appalling that you are so anti-freedom and anti-region's rights.

Also, you shouldn't believe all the studies and stuff you read - I've heard of other studies that say second hand smoking has little to no effect. What you have heard is the oversensationalized bias of the media. Of course, bias exists on both sides of the debate, so you have to take what both sides say with a grain of salt. The truth is most likely that second hand smoke is bad for you, but only if you are constantly exposed to it - irregular exposure probably won't give you cancer, so if you are smart enough to avoid it you can do so easily.(once again, just don't go if you don't like it - you have a choice, exercise it)
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2005, 08:48:01 AM »

I think we're the only smokers in this forum...

Actually, I'm not a smoker - it's a rather expensive and disgusting habit, though I don't mind when people do it around me occassionally(most are considerate about their second hand smoke getting in my face) - I just have a healthy respect for private property rights.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2005, 10:35:31 AM »

Smoking is a choice so only you can decide to continue paying out the ear for cigarettes.

Going to restaraunts that allow smoking is a choice so only you can decide whether or not you go.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2005, 10:37:38 AM »

Obviously it is, that's why I don't support banning smoking in private restaurants.

Ok then. Grin
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies