Sanders primary voters only
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:49:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Sanders primary voters only
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: What do you plan on doing in November?
Voting for Hillary Clinton

Voting for Jill Stein

Voting for Trump

Voting for someone else/write-in

Not voting

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 57

Author Topic: Sanders primary voters only  (Read 1674 times)
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2016, 02:00:07 PM »
« edited: June 25, 2016, 02:06:55 PM by Malcolm X »

Write-in unless Hillary picks Warren as her running-mate.

But it's the Hillary supporters are the whiny sore winners. Roll Eyes

Given that my reasons for doing this have nothing to do with Sanders (whom I supported for mainly as an anti-Clinton protest vote), I'm not sure what your point here.  As I've said elsewhere, I'd already resolved to vote write-in if she was the nominee before the Iowa Caucuses.  And no, I'm not saying all Hillary supporters are whiney sore winners, just a number of the ones of Atlas.  At least they're hacks for someone they think would be a good President.  I'm pretty sure you'd be a Trump hack if he was the Democratic nominee, but everything else about his candidacy was the same.

Dude, you seriously want to live with President Drumpf? You don't even have the excuse that your State won't be in play.

No, a write-in does not equal a vote for Trump.  I don't like Sanders that much and Hillary is even worse.  If the Democrats want my vote, they should've run someone worth voting for.  I don't need an excuse for casting a protest vote, it's a perfectly legitimate use of one's vote.  I have an open mind and want to be convinced that Hillary's not as bad I think (obviously Trump is way worse, but that's beside the point), but that hasn't happened yet.  So with all due respect, folks like BRTD, Bedstuy, and yourself can take your entitled, patronizing whining and stick it where the sun don't shine Smiley  The Democratic Party isn't entitled to my vote and neither is Hillary.  

Try making a case for Hillary.  It'd also be nice to see her supporters acknowledge and address the legitimate concerns about her (such as her hawkishness, her use of race-baiting, the e-mail scandal, etc) instead of just acting like she's the messiah.  FTR, I do think she has to deal with far more crap than many politicians due to the fact that she's a woman, but there are plenty of legitimate criticisms that her supporters seem unable or unwilling to address.

Enough reason to vote for her bus to replace Scalia.

Her hawkishness? http://www.vox.com/world/2016/5/27/11608580/donald-trump-foreign-policy-war-iraq-hillary-clinton

Race baiting? Who won the black vote in a landslide?

And you dislike her over s Republican witch hunt issue?

- Replacing Scalia is a reason to vote for any generic Democrat.  I'm talking about reasons to vote for Hillary specifically, not against the Republican (I'm already doing that).    

- Again, I'm talking about Hillary's foreign policy views, not Trump's gibberish.  Hillary is infinitely better than Trump, but that's a pretty low bar.  

- Obama won it in a landslide in 2008, so your argument there (which is basically a large-scale version of "But...but...but ________ has black friends") doesn't even work on its own terms.  

- The Bengahzi non-sense was a witch hunt.  The business with her e-mails is a legitimate scandal and while not one of the main reasons I dislike her, certainly is cause for concern.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2016, 04:10:47 PM »

Given that my reasons for doing this have nothing to do with Sanders (whom I supported for mainly as an anti-Clinton protest vote), I'm not sure what your point here.  As I've said elsewhere, I'd already resolved to vote write-in if she was the nominee before the Iowa Caucuses.  And no, I'm not saying all Hillary supporters are whiney sore winners, just a number of the ones of Atlas.  At least they're hacks for someone they think would be a good President.  I'm pretty sure you'd be a Trump hack if he was the Democratic nominee, but everything else about his candidacy was the same.

Dude, you seriously want to live with President Drumpf? You don't even have the excuse that your State won't be in play.

No, a write-in does not equal a vote for Trump.  I don't like Sanders that much and Hillary is even worse.  If the Democrats want my vote, they should've run someone worth voting for.  I don't need an excuse for casting a protest vote, it's a perfectly legitimate use of one's vote.  I have an open mind and want to be convinced that Hillary's not as bad I think (obviously Trump is way worse, but that's beside the point), but that hasn't happened yet.  So with all due respect, folks like BRTD, Bedstuy, and yourself can take your entitled, patronizing whining and stick it where the sun don't shine Smiley  The Democratic Party isn't entitled to my vote and neither is Hillary.  

Try making a case for Hillary.  It'd also be nice to see her supporters acknowledge and address the legitimate concerns about her (such as her hawkishness, her use of race-baiting, the e-mail scandal, etc) instead of just acting like she's the messiah.  FTR, I do think she has to deal with far more crap than many politicians due to the fact that she's a woman, but there are plenty of legitimate criticisms that her supporters seem unable or unwilling to address.

Her hawkishness? http://www.vox.com/world/2016/5/27/11608580/donald-trump-foreign-policy-war-iraq-hillary-clinton

- Replacing Scalia is a reason to vote for any generic Democrat.  I'm talking about reasons to vote for Hillary specifically, not against the Republican (I'm already doing that).    

- Again, I'm talking about Hillary's foreign policy views, not Trump's gibberish.  Hillary is infinitely better than Trump, but that's a pretty low bar.  

- Obama won it in a landslide in 2008, so your argument there (which is basically a large-scale version of "But...but...but ________ has black friends") doesn't even work on its own terms.  

- The Bengahzi non-sense was a witch hunt.  The business with her e-mails is a legitimate scandal and while not one of the main reasons I dislike her, certainly is cause for concern.

So you're sore that Hillary won, not that Sanders lost. I don't see the difference.

As for the "race baiting", I'm sure if 80% or so of black voters could "forgive" her for it, you can too. On that note, much of the supposed "race baiting" was overblown or completely fabricated anyway. Mentioning RFK's assassination as an example of a campaign that went into June, while in context also mentioning her husband's campaign in 1992, is not hoping for Obama to be assassinated. The 3 AM ad had nothing to do with race. Sorry to burst the bubble here. Her comments about "hard working white Americans" and Bill's SC comments were dumb, I'll give you that. But I do find it funny that the "progressives" who constantly dismissed the entire South throughout the primary season did not get nearly as much attention as Bill dismissing a single state did...
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2016, 04:41:18 PM »

So you're sore that Hillary won, not that Sanders lost. I don't see the difference.

As for the "race baiting", I'm sure if 80% or so of black voters could "forgive" her for it, you can too. On that note, much of the supposed "race baiting" was overblown or completely fabricated anyway. Mentioning RFK's assassination as an example of a campaign that went into June, while in context also mentioning her husband's campaign in 1992, is not hoping for Obama to be assassinated. The 3 AM ad had nothing to do with race. Sorry to burst the bubble here. Her comments about "hard working white Americans" and Bill's SC comments were dumb, I'll give you that. But I do find it funny that the "progressives" who constantly dismissed the entire South throughout the primary season did not get nearly as much attention as Bill dismissing a single state did...

Of the incidents you mentioned, only one was one of the things I was referring to (Bill's SC comments).  The RFK comment was dumb, but not race-baiting or even racist.  I don't even remember the "hard-working white person thing."  The constant mention of cocaine when her surrogates said anything about Obama, the fact that her campaign started the "Obama is really a Muslim" and birther comments were clearly race-baiting and by all accounts she was 110% in favor of using that tactic.  As for people who argued the South shouldn't have a say in the primary process, I was never one of them nor have I ever held that view, so that's not really relevant.

I do find it telling that I've asked in good faith to hear the case *for* Hillary and no one has made a serious attempt to provide me with one.  If anything, there seems to be some restentment (at least from BRTD) about the idea that her being the Democratic nominee isn't a good enough reason for every Democrat.  Rather entitled, don't you think?  I want to be convinced.  I don't know, Polnut seems pretty thoughtful, maybe he can do a better job explaining what I'm missing here.  *shrug*
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2016, 11:10:16 PM »

If Trump ran as a Democrat but had the exact same campaign, he'd never win the nomination, so it's a moot scenario. Actually I should ask who should I vote for if not Hillary? The implication seems to be I shouldn't because I don't think she'd be that great of a President, but that's not really the point to me. Because if Hillary simply implements generic Democrat policies and basically functions as Obama's third term (and I don't see any indication otherwise), then that's perfectly fine to me, and it goes without saying about how that is in comparison to a Trump presidency. That's the reason for my "hackery", not just blind party loyalty. I've said before that Hillary wouldn't even make my top 25 list of people I'd want to be President, even if just limited to political figures with a large enough profile to run, but being a crybaby and refusing to vote for her when she'd be at worst something like 75% as good as Obama especially in comparison to Trump is a pretty mind-bogglingly illogical action.

As far as her 2008 campaign goes, blaming her for the actions of her dumbest supporters is no more logical than blaming Sanders for those infamously idiot "Bernie Bro" Reddit supporters of his, and there's no reason to believe she supported any Birther or "Obama is a Muslim" rumors especially since those obviously did not help her in the Democratic primary. She did surround herself with some pretty odious (and in hindsight, hilariously incompetent) people like Mark Penn and Harold Ickes, but she's stayed far away from this time. I'm convinced that Hillary in 2008 was at worse a tragic villain, someone who probably had good intentions in her pursuit of power (I mostly certainly believe Hillary believed she was the most qualified person to be President in 2008 after all) and made some questionable moral decisions, but holy sh!t, how on Earth does that make her any worse than me? I'm reminded of a FANTASTIC Barney Frank quote from 2004, when he was asked how he could support John Kerry (during the primary) despite Kerry's then opposition to gay marriage. He replied "I've only voted for a perfect person once in my life. Once I ran for re-election, I wasn't perfect anymore."

But beyond all that, Obama has obviously forgiven her and the black community has, so some white person still holding it against her is almost kind of condescending. And judging her by her record after that, I don't see any issues. After all she was a fantastic Secretary of State, and seeing as how the people who tend to condemn her tenure as that as "too hawkish" tend to be the "RIP Gaddaffi Sad FF" types it's pretty clear why I don't take them seriously. Before his Senate career Obama had ties to the Daley machine and to the extremely odious slumlord and felon Tony Rezko, but none of that had any bearing on how he did as President and was a pointless thing to judge 2008 Obama on. And I think it's pretty obvious Hillary is not going to reveal herself as a closeted white supremacist after taking office, making her 2008 campaign completely moot today.

But ultimately the main reason why I wouldn't vote for anyone else is because from a point of pure rationality, there is no harm to me. Voting for Hillary, even if I didn't particularly like her (let's imagine this is 2008 and she won the nomination and I had plenty of bile toward her, but obviously would've voted for her over McCain in November) causes no harm to me whatsoever. So if she's the most tolerable candidate who has a chance of winning, for what reason do I have to note vote for her? I seriously can't think of any reason following basic rules of logic.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2016, 10:04:59 AM »

If Trump ran as a Democrat but had the exact same campaign, he'd never win the nomination, so it's a moot scenario. Actually I should ask who should I vote for if not Hillary? The implication seems to be I shouldn't because I don't think she'd be that great of a President, but that's not really the point to me. Because if Hillary simply implements generic Democrat policies and basically functions as Obama's third term (and I don't see any indication otherwise), then that's perfectly fine to me, and it goes without saying about how that is in comparison to a Trump presidency. That's the reason for my "hackery", not just blind party loyalty. I've said before that Hillary wouldn't even make my top 25 list of people I'd want to be President, even if just limited to political figures with a large enough profile to run, but being a crybaby and refusing to vote for her when she'd be at worst something like 75% as good as Obama especially in comparison to Trump is a pretty mind-bogglingly illogical action.

As far as her 2008 campaign goes, blaming her for the actions of her dumbest supporters is no more logical than blaming Sanders for those infamously idiot "Bernie Bro" Reddit supporters of his, and there's no reason to believe she supported any Birther or "Obama is a Muslim" rumors especially since those obviously did not help her in the Democratic primary. She did surround herself with some pretty odious (and in hindsight, hilariously incompetent) people like Mark Penn and Harold Ickes, but she's stayed far away from this time. I'm convinced that Hillary in 2008 was at worse a tragic villain, someone who probably had good intentions in her pursuit of power (I mostly certainly believe Hillary believed she was the most qualified person to be President in 2008 after all) and made some questionable moral decisions, but holy sh!t, how on Earth does that make her any worse than me? I'm reminded of a FANTASTIC Barney Frank quote from 2004, when he was asked how he could support John Kerry (during the primary) despite Kerry's then opposition to gay marriage. He replied "I've only voted for a perfect person once in my life. Once I ran for re-election, I wasn't perfect anymore."

But beyond all that, Obama has obviously forgiven her and the black community has, so some white person still holding it against her is almost kind of condescending. And judging her by her record after that, I don't see any issues. After all she was a fantastic Secretary of State, and seeing as how the people who tend to condemn her tenure as that as "too hawkish" tend to be the "RIP Gaddaffi Sad FF" types it's pretty clear why I don't take them seriously. Before his Senate career Obama had ties to the Daley machine and to the extremely odious slumlord and felon Tony Rezko, but none of that had any bearing on how he did as President and was a pointless thing to judge 2008 Obama on. And I think it's pretty obvious Hillary is not going to reveal herself as a closeted white supremacist after taking office, making her 2008 campaign completely moot today.

But ultimately the main reason why I wouldn't vote for anyone else is because from a point of pure rationality, there is no harm to me. Voting for Hillary, even if I didn't particularly like her (let's imagine this is 2008 and she won the nomination and I had plenty of bile toward her, but obviously would've voted for her over McCain in November) causes no harm to me whatsoever. So if she's the most tolerable candidate who has a chance of winning, for what reason do I have to note vote for her? I seriously can't think of any reason following basic rules of logic.

Regarding the race-baiting, it's pretty clear from Game Change that she was completely on board with that strategy and IIRC was pretty supportive of Billy Shaheen and Mark Penn (especially in private) when they came under fire for some of their racially charged attacks on Obama.  The difference with the BernieBros is that the BernieBros were random no-name nutters (and ftr, I do think that Sanders deserves quite a bit of criticism for refusing to condemn the actions of his supporters at the Nevada Democratic Convention, at the time I'd held out hope that he'd do the right thing and when he didn't, it really lowered my opinion of him).  In 2008, the race-baiting was done by prominent members of Hillary's campaign team like Mark Penn, Billy Shaheeen (her NH campaign chair, who implied that Obama might've once been a drug dealer who sold people cocaine IIRC), and surrogates like Bob Kerrey (who had a period where he couldn't seem to say Obama's name without mentioning the word "Muslim" in the same sentence).  I obviously don't think Hillary is a closet white supremacist or anything crazy like that, but does that make it any better? 

Yes, politics is a dirty business and the African-American community seems to have moved on, but what does it say about her that she'd use such repulsive and destructive tactics?  Is someone who would think nothing of dividing America against itself like that really the sort of leader we need?  Personally, I think we've had far too much of that sort of thing already.  That said, I think there is some truth to what you say about how everyone at this level in politics has their flaws (I don't think Feingold has ever done anything even remotely sketchy, but he's one in twenty million).  In fairness, I've voted for some folks whose views are either different than mine on issues that I'm extremely passionate about (Strickland on gun control) and candidates who have far worse character flaws than Hillary circa 2008 (Paula Brooks when she ran against Tiberi in 2010...and I had a front row seat to that cringefest)

Part of why I'm trying so hard to keep an open mind regarding Hillary is that "country first" really means something to me (cliche as that sounds).  It's obviously no secret don't like Hillary, but she'd be infinitely better than Trump.  However, I also don't believe in voting for a candidate entirely as a vote against someone else (that's what write-ins are for).  I tried that with Sanders in the Ohio primary and now I don't feel too proud of that vote given how he's conducted himself from the Nevada Democratic Convention onward (especially after it became clear he was going to squander any chance to get meaningful concessions by basically being a sore loser).  I don't consider it a wasted vote, but I'm pretty conflicted about it, now that I have the benefit of hindsight. 

That said, if I truly believed there was a real chance that my vote would decide whether Trump became President, I'd vote for Hillary over him in a heartbeat because I could never live with myself if I didn't.  However, I don't think my vote will come even close to deciding this, no matter what happens.  As a result, I feel like I also have a bit more leeway in terms of using my vote do express my frustration with the two awful choices that we've been presented with.  I'm not voting for Gary Johnson for obvious ideological reason and Jill Stein seems pretty awful.  As a result, the logical course of action seems to be a protest vote using the write-in option.

Kaine is objectively the safest pick and the best "do no harm" pick.  I don't think Warren would be super-influential as Veep, but it would be at least a little reassuring to see Hillary go the more progressive route even though it isn't the most politically expedient option.  I realize it'd be basically throwing a bone to folks like myself, but at this point I'll settle for that.  Plus, it could hypothetically position Warren to run for President in 2024.  It's more about Hillary showing that she's even remotely capable of going in a more progressive direction rather than the safest, most politically expedient direction. 

Regarding foreign policy, my main concerns with her hawkishness are that 1) she'll get us involved in Syria (personally, I'd rather we not have a repeat of the Iraq War, but maybe that's just me Tongue ) and 2) I think that she tends to be inherently hawkish on foreign policy in general (and in the moment, the expedient political position is often the more hawkish one, irrespective of whether it makes any sense) to the point that I question whether she'll exhaust all diplomatic options in future crises before making dumb "line in the sand" comments like the one Obama made about Syria.  That sort of rhetoric can escalate extremely quickly and is often completely unnecessary; you have to be extremely careful about imposing "if _______ happens and/or if so-and-so doesn't do _____ in (insert amount of time), we'll put troops on the ground and/or overthrow the government" ultimatums.  One of the best things about Obama's Presidency is that he has been extremely cautious and careful when responding to international crises (with the exception of his initial handling of Syria, although even then, we ended up dodging the bullet).  That's something that has really been missing from American foreign policy for quite some time and I am not at all convinced that Hillary would be a third term of Obama in that regard. 

And again, there are is the e-mail scandal (which, and I can't stress this enough, is completely different than the congressional Republicans' ridiculous Banghazi witch-hunt; Hillary should thank the GOP for making them synonymous in most voters' minds Tongue).  What worries me most about this scandal, even more than the scandal itself, is how it fits into the consistent (and frankly, rather Nixonian) pattern of behavior and lack of transparency (even for a politician at their level) we've seen from both Bill and Hillary ever since the former was elected President in 1992.  The fact that so little seems to have changed is, I think, a pretty legitimate cause for concern.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies